Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD: Telecaster Nashville Deluxe

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sammy123, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Apr 15, 2005
    UK
    Wish I'd bought one of these older MIM Nashville Teles before Fender changed them to the current Nashville with the flatter fretboard.

Just a great, all-round, versatile Tele, IMO.

2. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    OKC, OK
    I've got the newer one.
    But aren't most Tele's just a pick guard away from a Nashville?

3. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    I have an older one- love it. These are real hidden gems, the early MIM stuff of this genre...

4. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Usually no problem finding one on ebay

5. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    Congrats! I think you made a very wise choice.
    Mine is a 2012, got it new. Same bridge as yours.
    It has evolved into my No. 1. my HH guitars only seem to get played if my Nashville breaks a string.

Nashville.jpg

shupe13, Owenmoney and boris bubbanov like this.

6. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Some of them would probably need some routing too - I'm not sure of the specifics, but techs have mentioned that to me.

I really looked hard for a tele with some strat tone options and played a Nashville (current model - didn't like the neck) and Baja (loved the neck!). But then I bought a strat, which sort of covers all of those strat tones, as you'd expect. I don't really have any need for more than one electric guitar, but if I ever get a second, it would be a tele but I wouldn't be looking for versatility as much as a pure tele setup. Ironically, though, I'd probably want another Baja because of the neck, and then I'd probably rewire it to get RID of the strat tone options. Life is funny sometimes...

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Not the MIM ones, no. Other than the Nashville (and defunct Blackout model) the MIM bodies have no pool routes nor routing for the middle pickup. American Models like the Standard, Series, Plus, Deluxe and so forth do have a rout but be careful - they envision the middle pickup in a slightly different location.

8. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE
    Thanks for all the replies. So just an update on this. I am still really loving it. Maybe someone can confirm this, but I guess the tex-mex pups (or at least 1 of them) are RWRP, because the 2 and 4 positions have almost no hum. This is really nice. My OV pups are not RWRP so I did not get to experience this before on a Tele.

boris bubbanov likes this.

9. boris bubbanov

So impressed, Sammy, to hear you found one that actually light in weight. These are normally medium to heavy in weight. They're also normally 3-5 pieces, even though some sure look like 2 pieces (or you can't say at all because the Honey Blonde is sprayed more heavily over less pretty bodies).

Check out Darren Riley. Get an AV52 style plate and some of those Fender compensated 3 barrel brass saddles. They'll be just right for your Nashville.

Pull the neck and get a build date off the heel or out of the neck pocket.

I've got four of them, in this color. Btw, a black middle pickup cover makes the guitar look even cooler!

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.

10. sammy123

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE
    Thanks Boris. Well it seems light compared to my past and present guitars. I have not weighed it though. I tried to do a side by side with my thinline ash partscaster and it is strangely lighter....so that one must be a seriously dense piece of ash.

You're right it is hard to tell how many pieces, but I can see a bit of the grain and following those lines it really does appear to be a two piece. I could be wrong though.

11. sjtalon

Yes the middle is RW/RP from the neck and bridge, like Strats with noise reduction pup sets.

boris bubbanov likes this.

12. OlRedNeckHippy

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    Yes, mine weighs 9.5 pounds, according to my fishing scale. Definitely on the heavy side.
    I hated the look of the white middle pickup cover. Easy swap.

13. boris bubbanov

I have one about that weight (my heaviest Fender, I think) and yet it is clearly the best sounding of the four Nashvilles I have.

The bigger issue is the way the weight is concentrated heavily, just South of the bridge assembly. It is almost as though there's a hunk of plutonium hidden in the wood somehow. Guitar is basically a sitting only guitar - the headstock heads heavenward when I try to play it while standing.

14. OlRedNeckHippy

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    Wow, @Borris, mine is blannced perfectly. It hangs very nicely.
    It sounds really good with the stock pickups.

15. sjtalon

Mine comes in @ 8.4 lbs. IIRC.

16. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    American Standards are routed to install a middle pickup, but most Teles aren't.

17. sammy123

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE
    So I upgraded to the Fender vintage PP bridge and used the fender compensated saddles. Much better! I've always had a similar bridge on my other tele so I never could compare when making the switch from a 6 saddle. Now I get it.

The intonation screws are a bit long, but it's just a cosmetic thing. Intonation is much better that the previous bridge after some neck adjustments.

My low E is a bit closer to the edge of the fretboard but I can live with it. I also threw some Pure Nickel 11s on there which really brought it to life.

Also, I grabbed a few photos of the neck and pocket if anyone is interested. I don't know what any of the numbers mean though.

Attached Files:

motwang, OlRedNeckHippy and shupe13 like this.

18. ToddinTX

ToddinTX Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Very nice! Congrats!

19. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Meister

Mar 26, 2017
    Western Pa.
    Mine is a newer model. 2016, and comes in at 8.4lbs. I don't have any problems playing it standing or sitting and I love the 12" radius neck, Noiseless pickups, locking tuners.....hey...I love it all. My number one since I bought it.

20. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2010
    plattsburg mo.
    I put in a push-pull and changed the middle pickup to a twin blade mini humbucker.

sammy123 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.