Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD - Squier VM 72 Thinline (picture heavy)

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by tonfarbe, Aug 4, 2014.

1. guitarguytim

guitarguytim Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2009
    Utah
    There is another thread that talks about this. Apparently they ship with 2 1/8" saddles, but really should be using a set of 2 1/16" saddles. I just ordered a narrower set and will let you know what I think once they arrive.

2. guitarguytim

guitarguytim Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2009
    Utah
    Bender66, I'll definitely post a pic when I'm done. I ordered a set of narrower saddles (2 1/16"), new pots, new switch, and figured I'd swap out the pickguard while it's in pieces. With the speed I work at, it'll be luck to be back together by the end of the year... but I'll let you see it when I'm done :D

3. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2014
    Vermont
    I saw that thread, and I moved the saddles over so that the high "E" string was not being shoved over and was a straight line from the string hole in the body to the nut. It was still too close. I also moved the neck slightly in the neck pocket to better align the strings on the neck. Still too close. The neck does not widen out very much as it approaches the body, and the frets are beveled quite a bit at the ends. I'm thinking that short of needing a new neck, it would need a new nut installed with different string spacing. I'm hoping that the replacement guitar will be better.

4. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Thanks. Sounds like we both subscribe to the same tort(oise) breakneck speed of production.

I'm in the process of duplicating one of these with a Rondo Thinline. I want to make a custom pg using the old as a template, but remove the pickup ring on the bridge pup.
    If you're doing all that with the wrong saddles you'll be chasing problems all day. Notice I said "if". I don't know what you've got. A quick measurement will tell you, although the 2 1/8" saddles are glaringly obvious without the need to measure.

That being said, I hope you get it resolved. Love the looks of these.

5. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2014
    Vermont
    I did indeed have the wrong saddles. I would have replaced them with the correct ones if I had decided to keep the guitar (which I would have done if I thought it would have solved the problem). But to my thinking, if the high "E" saddle were shoved over enough to be in line with the through-the-body string hole (which I did), the correct saddles would not have made a difference in regards to the proximity of the high "E" string to the edge of the neck. It's a straight shot from the body string hole to the nut, provided that the high "E" string saddle is lined up correctly. Granted, the other strings and saddles would be off.

It looked to me that there were several factors contributing to the problem. The high "E" string slot in the nut seemed to be cut too close to the edge, the frets were aggressively beveled, the saddles were wrong, the neck had very little taper as it approached the body, and the string spacing at the nut was rather wide for the width of the nut. All in all, it was sort of like having to sleep too close to the edge of the bed...

6. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2014
    Vermont
    NGD All Over Again...

My Squier '72 Thinline went back, and I unboxed the replacement this morning. The wood grain is nowhere near as spectacular as on the first one, but it has no issues. This one has the correct saddles, and the high "E" string is not crowding the edge of the neck. The frets are well polished, and the intonation, string height, and and relief are spot-on. I can find no flaws in the fit and finish. The pickups sound decent, just like the first one did.

This is a great Tele Thinline, and a super bargain at 15% off of $300. It weighs in at 6.8#, and has a beefy neck profile. In retrospect, I wish that I had kept the first one, as the wood was drop-dead gorgeous. It would have required new saddles and either a new nut or a new neck. I just didn't want to put additional money into a smoking bargain. Live and learn. It will always be the one that I let slip through my fingers. But now I have a very nice Thinline with no issues. I don't know which I like better, this Squier '72 or my MIM Cabronita Thinline. Maybe GAS will leave me alone for a few weeks?

7. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Yup. It only happens to me down in the open chord positions tho. I measured the neck at the nut (with a ruler, I don't have a micrometer) and it appears to be 1-10/16", not the standard 1-11/16".

I also attempted to adjust the neck, and had a Gotoh replacement bridge with the correct saddle width.

I've looked at closeups of the nut on many Sweetwater ones (since they post good pics of actual guitars), and all of them look like the high E is a shade to close to the edge of the fingerboard.

I'm wondering if slapping an MIM neck on would solve the problem (if it would even fit the pocket?

FWIW, anyone who thinks the stock pups sound good, or wants to get closer to the real WRHB sound, should send them in to Telenator for his MOD1. They are AWESOME. Seriously impressed, totally worth the $$, even on this inexpensive guitar.

8. StachePower

StachePower TDPRI Member

Jun 19, 2013
    San Diego
    My LGS has one of these in natural that sounds incredible. At $299 this may change my original plans to buy a 60s CVC tele and the 50s and 60s Classic Vibe strats. Already have a blond 50s Classic vibe tele but was looking at completing the set.

9. Grizmit

Grizmit TDPRI Member

Aug 26, 2012
    The Right Coast, USA
    Just joined the VM 72 club myself. Used but mint burst from CL for $180. Great thread, thanks all. I need saddle replacements apparently (see pic). Love this guitar though. Find the tone to be completely unique. Very bright and articulate humbucker sound.

FWIW, I have both, and I have already bonded with the thin line. The CVC (2 years now) however has been a struggle because of the super thin neck. It sounds great and I want to love it, but the neck is a challenge. Not the case on thinline. Great feel for me personally.

Attached Files:

10. southdtele

southdtele TDPRI Member

May 15, 2013
    Midwest
    So are these humbuckers designed to sound single coil-ish? Would appreciate knowing.

11. Vognell

Vognell Tele-Meister

Feb 17, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    Not really... they sound like humbuckers to me.

12. Kojoflo

Kojoflo Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2016
    London
    They lack the girth and meatiness of something like a classic 57. But I'm learning WRHB's weren't designed to be beefy, more top end. They certainly lack the sustain of a 57, so yes, you could say they are a bit like single coils. I've got a WRHB in my fender tele custom, but I've also got a normal humbucker in my standard telecaster. Both in neck position, but both completely different beasts. I also have the VM72, it's a lovely guitar

13. southdtele

southdtele TDPRI Member

May 15, 2013
    Midwest
    Thanks for your thoughts.

14. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    To take it in a more single-coilish direction you can remove the pole pieces that are hidden under the covers by unscrewing them from the back. I also disconnected the tone control from the neck pickup which brightened it up some more.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.