Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD - Squier VM 72 Thinline (picture heavy)

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by tonfarbe, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    That's smart! I'm building a Tele Deluxe partscaster at the moment and toyed with the idea of a parchment or MOTS plate, but it has to be black for that 70s aesthetic.

2. jbratter

jbratter TDPRI Member

Sep 16, 2012
    charlotte, nc
    Labor Day sales?

I'm gassing for one of these! I think that the Labor Day sales start on Thursday, but does anyone know where the best deal for it will be? should i try to get 15% off the $299?

3. fakeplastic

fakeplastic Tele-Meister

Feb 24, 2007
    BC
    Looks cool, where did you get the pickguard?

4. heffus

heffus Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2014
    cHICAGO

5. heffus

heffus Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2014
    cHICAGO
    You hear so much bad about these pickups, am I the only one who doesn't mind them? I'm not saying they are the greatest, but I'm in no hurry to get them modified like I assumed I would be before I bought the guitar.

6. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2010
    Ca
    I like mine quite a bit. It did take a bit of fiddling with them to get the sound just how I like it. I did have to raise the bridge pickup quite a bit to get a sound that wasn't too thin/hollow. After doing that I had to lower the slugs because the strings would "boink" on the slugs when I rested my palm on the strings. The slugs are nearly level with the face of the pickup. Now all is good with the bridge. Adjusted the neck pickup to near identical volume and the tone is now pretty jazzy on the neck. A little tweaking goes a long way. Think I'll go play it a bit.:lol:

7. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    I like this quote from that page:

"This only fit Genuine Fender '72 Reissue model Thinline Telecaster,not fit the Genuine Fender '72-'79 Teleline Telecster."

If I ever build a '72 Thinline copy, I'm putting "Teleline Telecster" on the headstock :)

8. Macatowa

Macatowa TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Holland, MI
    Three way switch

My 3 month old 72 Vm has started to get flakey on the bridge PU, i assume it is the switch. The 3 ways switches are not to impressive and i need to upgrade it. Is there any chance it may be in the PU instead? Anyway the soldiering on the switch made it look like the last three terminal are connected as they each had soldier on them, however the last one was barely making any contact so fiddled around with it to see what is the proper wiring and there really isn't a Squier 72 VM thinline Tele wiring diagram i could find. Wiring is = 1st blank (farther from pots) 2&3 shared by red wire from neck PU, 3 & 4 shared by fatter red wire (volume pot), 6,7 & 8 shared by red wire from bridge PU. The bridge and middle position work or have sound, don't know if the the bridge us shared or not on the middle position. Any advise would be appreciated, i also straighten out the pick guard while i was doing surgery and it lines up much better. (see earlier posts)

9. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2010
    Ca

PCB switches are garbage. They always fail and should be replaced at the earliest opportunity. Replace them with a proper Oak Grigsby switch. While you're in there, throw a couple higher quality full sized pots in and be done with the electronics forever. It's about the best $25 or so that you can spend on an import guitar.

10. Macatowa

Macatowa TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Holland, MI
    Thanks Belaire, sounds like a plan. Only thing I'm lacking is a decent wiring diagram so i get it right. My MIA stat and Tele are rock solid and i know full well there is a big difference between a $300 guitar and a $1,000 one. With all that said i really dig the 72' and it is a worthwhile investment!

11. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2010
    Ca

12. randomhitz

randomhitz Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2008
    Missoula, MT
    any comments on the change in tone for those who have changed from the bent saddles. I looking to do this as I hate the way the adjustment screws dig into my palm.

13. morneau33

morneau33 TDPRI Member

14. nymtber

nymtber TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2014
    New York - Upstate
    Using the mostly metal string savers classics (chrome) I didn't notice much tone difference, if anything she has a fuller clearer sound, but its negligible. They are not cheap, but I'd buy them again. They feel better on my palm (smooth) and they look very nice, much better than bent saddles.

If interested I can try and take a pic later today...PM me.

15. Journeyman22

Journeyman22 Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2014
    Piute County, Utah
    After I set up a Fender style guitar, sometimes the little set screws (jack screws) come out too long. I just measure with calipers how much sticks out on the top. Then hand file each set screw till they are near perfect length (minus the amount sticking out of the top). Plus, I make sure the bottoms are file formed with a nice smooth radius. Set screws are no longer a problem. Just my 2 cents.

16. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2014
    Vermont
    Well, I got my Squier Modified '72 Tele Thinline today. I opened it up and was instantly impressed with the looks. The back, even though it's laminated, is absolutely stunning. The frets were all smooth and dressed, and I could find no cosmetic flaws. So I plugged it into my Fender Deluxe Reverb and gave it a spin. The neck pickup sounded slightly muddy but useable, and the other two positions sounded pretty darned good. The neck shape is substantial with a hint of "V", and it has 21 frets. I thought for sure that I had a "keeper".

But something seemed strange about the shape of the headstock. Sure enough, after comparing it with my American Standard Tele, I could see that it was not as wide. Also, the Squier was shipped with the wrong saddles, 2 1/8" instead of 2 1/16" Fenders. The high E string was too close to the edge of the fretboard, slipping off occasionally as I played. Not a dealbreaker, I can just order the correct saddles and fix the problem. Or so I thought. Why was the high E string so close to the edge? I repositioned the string over farther on the saddle, but still too close. I loosened the neck and canted it a bit in the neck pocket to line the strings up better on the fretboard. Still too close. I started measuring. The nut width was the same on the Squier and the Am Std, but the high E string was still way too close to the edge. Then it dawned on me. After measuring the width of the neck at various frets, I discovered that the Squier remained rather straight, as opposed to the Am Std which got wider as it approached the body.

I am about ready to pack it up and ship it back. I really like the guitar, but don't think that I could ever come to terms with the narrow neck and the high E string slipping off the end of the fret. Perhaps I could buy a Fender or an Allparts neck and sell the original neck. Has anyone had success with fitting a Fender neck to a Squier? Any thoughts about this situation?

17. guitarguytim

guitarguytim Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2009
    Utah
    Heffus, I'm assuming you bought the RI pickguard from EyGuitarMusic.com, right? Did all of the screw holes line up correctly? I ask because I know that not all Squiers are built to the same specs as MIMs.

I'm thinking of buying a tortoise shell pickguard, but want to make sure I get the right thing. I'd really hate to drill more holes into my Tele if it can be avoided.

18. heffus

heffus Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2014
    cHICAGO
    The holes lined up fine.

19. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Pics of your tort conversion when/if you decide. I think tort on wood grain looks amazing.

20. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2014
    Vermont
    Anyone else had a problem with the high "E" string running too close to the edge of the neck and slipping off the fret while playing? I already sent one back for this reason, and am awaiting a replacement guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.