Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD - Squier VM 72 Thinline (picture heavy)

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by tonfarbe, Aug 4, 2014.

1. nymtber

nymtber TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2014
    New York - Upstate
    Looks nice! If it plays as nice as mine, you have to be loving it :)

2. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Aug 2, 2014
    Northern Arizona
    I'm in as well-
    Arrived Tuesday from MF. $265 after 15% 4th July coupon.
    Sunburst finish excellent- even the f-hole is perfectly finished!
    Problem- completely terrible setup. Saddles too wide, as noted above- also shoved so severely towards the treble side that the e string was jammed on the height adjustment screw killing all of its tone-
    Intonation- non-existant. String height\action? Random- strings across neck resembled a splayed "stairway to Heaven"
    Nothing I couldn't get sort of right in an afternoon, but really??? Tech number 13 in Indonesia mailed this setup in in a late Friday afternoon trying to keep up with all of these orders!!!

Pics to follow, I love the finish and sound of the WRHB through my wife's Orange Micro Terror!!:)

3. nymtber

nymtber TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2014
    New York - Upstate
    Yikes! My string height was set to fender specs...but thats TOO low for me, the rest was pretty well set on mine. Although the neck pickup is considerably louder than the bridge...

The WRHB's are amazing. Played through 5W of all tube goodness over here (well, Bugera V5). The more I play it, the more I love them.

4. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Aug 2, 2014
    Northern Arizona
    Further inspection reveals the source of random string heights.... THE NUT IS NOT FILED CORRECTLY. The D string is only about halfway seated, and the A string is sitting in the Grand Canyon!!
    A new nut is needed-
    I really love this guitar, though- so will call MF and see if they can help me out without sending this one back...
    This was the second guitar in my order- got the wife a lefty Epiphone SG 400- no problems at all with that one (Yay, Epiphone!!)- so I'm willing to take a discount, or have them cover service at my local shop,.
    Don't want to send it back- had to wait for this one, and might get something with similar problems or worse...
    Will keep you updated from the Rez..

5. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Mine's a great playing guitar, though I had to tweak it a little to make in mine. Gotoh bridge, elliptical strap pins, new pots, switch and cap, but that's it. I've found Pyramid strings to sound and play the best on it, but I have only one guitar that doesn't like Pyramid's, my G&L Bluesboy.

Attached Files:

6. zhaezzy

zhaezzy NEW MEMBER!

Aug 2, 2015
    Erie PA
    Mmmmmm juicy. Makes me gas harder for the VM Tele custom. After hearing your review of the WR humbucker.

7. heffus

heffus Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2014
    cHICAGO
    What value pots and cap did you go with and how did they change the sound? I finally was able to get one, should be here sometime this week.

Attached Files:

8. heffus

heffus Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2014
    cHICAGO
    It's here. As you can see, I have the same problem with the saddles as others have had. The strings line up fine over the pole pieces, but some of the the high strings are almost touching the height adjustment screws. Look at that high E, ouch! Does the Gotoh bridge fix this issue? Now for the good part. Holy **** are you kidding me?! This much tone for 300 bucks. The beautiful thing about this guitar is I had no pre-conceived notions as to how it should sound. You expect certain sounds out of a Tele, Strat, Les Paul etc. This allowed me to just let the guitar be what it is. I had assumed I would probably go for one of the aftermarket upgrades for the pickups at some point, but these pickups are fine, the guitar sounds absolutely sublime. It has a wonderful dirty clarity to it. Clean chords carry so much weight but remain clear. Perfect for reggae skanking and funk chords. I had already ordered new pots,switch,cap and output jack, but this volume pot has a wonderful taper to it. Clean to dirty all in the voluime knob.

Attached Files:

9. DavidP

DavidP Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey Zippofan -- what Gotoh bridge??

What's the specific version that works on this? I'm assuming its the GTC 101/102? Those have either chrome-plated brass saddles (GTC 101) or steel saddles (GTC 102). Does it give better string alignment through the ferrules as well as the pickups? Those stock bridge saddles on Heffus's are really off-course!!

10. nymtber

nymtber TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2014
    New York - Upstate
    String Saver classics (the metal ones with inserts) solved my saddle issues. The problem is the saddles that come with them are ~10.8mm wide, and the string spacing (2 1/16) requires 10.5mm wide saddles. 0.3mm isn't much till you add it up over 6 saddles!

So, make SURE you get replacement saddles made for a 2 1/16" string spacing! They should be 10.5mm wide!

I tried emailing fender and was back and forth with a "tech" for a while. They could not comprehend why there was a problem. So I gave up and bought the string savers. I don't regret it at all, the guitar is amazing and honestly deserves better saddles anyway :)

11. DavidP

DavidP Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    Got mine today...

a natural one finally came in! 3 piece with relatively decent matched grain -- love the neck. Yes, it has those oversize saddles creeping over to the high E -- I pointed this out to the store manager who I know very well and he's contacting the Fender rep about it...
    The other item of note is the high E string alignment over the WRHBs-- definitely south of the polepieces--misses them entirely, but neck alignment is straight. Is this just a quirk of WRHB Thinlines in general, or a cause for concern with this version?
    Other than that, I'm pretty pleased with the instrument!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015

12. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    It is an issue across the Squier line, but not all models. As I said, my Cab suffered the same. Couple minutes with the spare parts drawer & good to go.

I'm curious, does the Thinline come with 250k pots like the Cabs do?

The forums are full of these discussions about this oversight. I don't believe for 1 second that Fender isn't aware of these issues

13. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Tele-Afflicted

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT

14. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2010
    Ca
    Yes, it comes stock with 250k pots.

15. DavidP

DavidP Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    update and another question to my peers...

Anyone adjusted the polepieces on these WRHBs?

Given the high E is not aligned with the strings (think that's due to the narrower 2 1/16 string spacing plus a misaligned pickguard that could be repositioned to improve the string/polepiece relationship but that will involve filling/redrilling every hole) -- I was trying to adjust them for balance.

The polepieces are so tight/frozen that I stopped given the force I was applying was to the point that I feared damaging the screw slot...

16. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Just saw this, was at BSA summer camp all week :D

I picked up the GTC102 off eBay as I figured the steel saddles would give a little more bite than brass. The bridge just drops right on in place of the stock one, and took care (mostly) the string spacing issue and strings being pushed out of whack on the bent steel ones.

IIRC, I used 500k pots/.022mf orange drop cap. I debated going back and forth with 250k, even 1 Meg like on the originals. The 500k give me a nice twangy bite on the bridge p'up, and I get a thick roar out of the neck. Very nice, I've never considered replacing them, they sound good to me.

Cheers,
    Z

17. Rocknu88

Rocknu88 TDPRI Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Gibson Island Maryland
    hey im having issues with an intermittent loss of sound signal.. Im contemplating doing an electronics upgrades im not really a fender guy any of yall have any suggestions?

18. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Almost forgot, replaced the pickguard too! I got a 3 ply W/B/W cheap from EY Guitar Parts, took a little bit of filing around the neck pocket to fit properly, but otherwise it was a very good fit.

19. heffus

heffus Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2014
    cHICAGO
    I received my Gotoh bridge. Went with the steel. Just waiting on the new black pickguard to get here. I also ordered new electronics but debating on just leaving them be for now.

20. heffus

heffus Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2014
    cHICAGO
    Looks infinitely better with the black pick guard to me.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.