Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD: Squier Vintage Modified Custom Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Howie22, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Howie22

Howie22 Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2015
    N Carolina
    Just pulled the trigger on a used Squier VM Custom Tele - tobacco sunburst. Should get it on Friday. Unless I get it and absolutely hate it, the plan is to rip out the guts and mod it up.

A few months ago I posted a thread about "Beefing Up a Telecaster." My plan was to take a Mexi tele and turn it into a dual humbucker/fat tele/Southern rock guitar.

Well, that project didn't actually end up where I initially wanted it to go. I love that guitar, but it turned into something else. So, I saw this one online at a good price and snatched it up. Plus, I've always wanted a sunburst.

First steps will be dropping a Lil '59 in the bridge and upgrading the pots, tone caps, and the switch. Beyond that, I'd like to eventually get a new pickguard cut to accept a standard humbucker, or see if Fralin or someone can put a standard humbucker into a Wide Range cover. Probably add a new bridge, or at least compensated brass saddles. And here I thought that learning how to solder and work on guitars was going to help me SAVE money. Ha ha!

If I don't end up liking it, then you might see it up on Reverb next week.

2. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Ha! The ability to do some of my own work has left me with a to-do list a mile long and a constant churning of ideas I'd like to try. It's a great new hobby :)

Congrats on the new tele!!

I had one just like that once and it felt like it didn't have a soul. I even got some custom pups wound for it (Tim at sunday handwound makes great stuff!!) but I'm convinced that the wood was just soulless. Not a squier problem, but a wood problem. I've picked up really nice custom handmade guitars that felt the same.

The fender reissued WRHB is a standard paf put into the larger cover. Here's something I learned from mine: if you keep the original pickguard, you are limited to the WRHB form factor (and the somewhat limited options available in that size). If you get a new pickguard cut for standard humbuckers, the options are almost limitless. Filtertrons, P90s, strats, etc - all have readily available humbucker-sized options.

That being said, you might really like the stock humbucker. Some people do.

Good luck!

3. Howie22

Howie22 Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2015
    N Carolina
    Not happy with my initial playing, but I'm thinking that it's largely due to desperately needing a setup.

Feels like someone strung it with 8s or 9s when it's set up for 10s

I'll drop some 10s on tonight and give it a setup. In spectacular shape, except the pickup selector bnob broke in shipping. So I've gotta replace that, even if I decide to just flip it

4. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    The good thing is, tele's are easily set up :)

Congrats! Don't give up on it too soon. That pickup combo has alot to offer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.