Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD: Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by PearlJamNoCode, Sep 14, 2017.

1. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Man y'all are giving me serious GAS right now

2. Formerblonde

Formerblonde Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2012
    Ottawa
    Had the exact same colour on mine. NEVER went out of tune on me. Had been fitted with a roller bridge and a buzzstop thingie before I got it.

Swapped it for a really nice chinese RIC 330 copy.

Miss it

3. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Holic

Love love love mine! My only gripe is my trem barely gets any drop in note..a whole tone on the g string is as far as it goes.. any way to adjust this or should i look for a replacement trem?

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Did you raise the arm with the adjustment screw on the trem plate? It's closest to the bridge between the D and G strings.

People say Floating Trems aren't meant to be used in the extreme, but that was before Mastery came up. I use 10s, arm is medium height for my picking hand, and tuning is stable, 2 whole steps on the G and low E string. Not a simple drop fit obviously on a JMJM. If you wanted a drop-in bridge, I'd use a ABM 2400 roller TOM. You can get a roller for much less, but the ABM is high quality bridge for sure.

IMG_3479.JPG

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    telemnemonics likes this.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Is the neck chunky like a Tele or more like the thinner Squire Strats? I like chunky and when I tried a regular MIM JM I was put off by how the carve was no where near chunky enough.

6. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Of the few Squier JMJMs I played, I'd call it chunky as far as JMs are concerned. Which MIM JM are you comparing to? My Classic 60s was thin, but a CP I picked up felt very good, similar to a JMJM. My MIM TVL is a little thinner than a AV, which is more like a 60s style Tele, but I wouldn't call it chunky. None of these are gonna feel like a fat Tele 1 inch neck. The AV might be close to 1" at the 12th fret.

jvin248 and savofenno like this.

7. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Holic

that could be what I'm missing! I'm at work atm but will check it out later in the day.. thanks!

BorderRadio likes this.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

It was an ~$800 wall model at GC one day I just picked up and liked everything about it but the neck. Typical MIM/MIA Tele neck is what I like best.

If you look at the edge of the neck, is the fretboard on the JMJMs 90 degree to the frets and the back carve starts behind the fretboard or a much lower angle where the fretboard is also part of the back neck carve?

9. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    Best answer I can give is that it's like a Fat C. More oval feeling, sits in your hand more narrowly, than a thick Tele neck, as on my '52 RI. But considerably heftier than the "modern C" neck on MIM Fenders and Squiers.

10. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sounds like the sunburst or black Classic Player. I thought the 1st to 3rd area of the JMJM had enough girth, and is one of the best feeling necks Squier makes, not the .820"/1st that most Squier CVs have. I don't recall the carve in that area. Best bet is try it yourself. Apart from a AV or new neck, the chunkiest JM necks seem to be the JMJM (never measured) and my Vintage Modifided JM, which is chunkier than my TVL, but only by a hair.

11. KellyCaster71

KellyCaster71 Tele-Meister

Mar 29, 2011
    Humble, Texas
    Huge Dinosaur Jr. fan. Almost bought one of these. Thanks for the heads up. Looks great.

12. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Holic

had a play with that adjustment screw and it's made the world of difference.. thanks again !

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    telemnemonics and BorderRadio like this.

13. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Great to hear, enjoy that J.!

richiek65 likes this.

14. cyclopean

cyclopean Tele-Afflicted

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA

15. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Tele-Afflicted

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    I have one of these!!!! I've had it for a couple years. If you're looking for a Jazzmaster, I believe the JMJM represents THE BEST value on the planet right now. I got mine for $400. It's one of my best guitars. It's so amazing in every way but the trem. The arm only pushes in but constantly falls out. And there is no adjustment screw on the bridge. I've thought about upgrading to a Mastery bridge, but I don't want to ruin the mojo in this guitar.

If you really want to gas, add a ZVEX Doublerock to your rig. It is ZVEX's signature J. Mascis pedals. I got one about a year ago, and it slays. I have the VEXTER version, which is exactly the same circuit but with a silkscreen front instead of handpainted, so it's less expensive.

BorderRadio likes this.

16. morkov

morkov TDPRI Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Norway
    You have to push the arm really hard on the mascis for it to stay in place.

daddyplaysbass likes this.

17. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yep, I have to basically punch mine in on any pop-in arm for the flange to get past the collet...but eventually they wear out too. Not to mention a collet tang can snap off. Not a big deal since I have USA Fender Trems in everything but the Bass VI--the USA Fender collets can be purchased separately. But even the Fender trem will get a little floppy from use or removing to get it in a hard case. Staytrem has a system for the arm but I'm not there yet.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Not many of these come up used and not for cheap prices, so I wouldn't call them a dime a dozen.
    Bout the only sig guitar I'm interested in, just because it seems like so much guitar for the money among JMs, but also the truly big frets closes the deal.
    Except I have no disposable income now!
    A week or so ago the new floor JMJM at my local GC dropped to $379, but the one on the wall stayed at 4 something.
    Damn!

19. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode TDPRI Member

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    I got mine (brand new in box) for $379, and the one on the wall was full price.

And yes, these frets are awesome.

telemnemonics likes this.

20. jorbjorb

jorbjorb Tele-Meister

Jul 18, 2012
    Winnipeg
    great guitar for the money for sure

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.