Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD: Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by PearlJamNoCode, Sep 14, 2017.

1. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode TDPRI Member

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    I know these things are a dime a dozen, but I finally bought mine earlier this month. As a Dinosaur Jr fan this is a dream come true.

The finish on this guitar is prefect, and that aged white color looks great.

The neck is the star of the show with this guitar. I love the huge frets, the satin finish, and the fret ends are absolutely perfect.

Also love the stock pickups. Lots of output, not noisy.

I might upgrade to trem system to a nicer Fender branded one, but it works just fine.

[​IMG]

2. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Congrats!

I've almost bought one a couple of times. I probably should while I still can. I have a feeling they are nearing the end of their run. They've hung around longer than a lot of other artist models for sure.

savofenno and PearlJamNoCode like this.

3. PearlJamNoCode

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    That was absolutely a motivation for me to save up and get it, because I was afraid they'd be gone soon, especially considering all the stuff that's going on with rosewood.

mnutz likes this.

4. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    The Mascis is still on Squier's website, but the Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster is the same guitar, just painted red:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...lectric-guitar?rNtt=deluxe jazzmaster&index=1

telemnemonics likes this.

5. PearlJamNoCode

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    The Deluxe Jazzmaster doesn't have the same pickups as the Mascis, and the Mascis has GIGANTIC Jumbo frets, not medium jumbo

savofenno likes this.

6. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    It's a great guitar, especially for the money. Pug-ugly, in my pickily purist book. But it really plays and sounds sweet. Lots of range, from near-Tele twang to Stratty glass, and yes, a fine neck. Every time I pick it up to change the stock strings, I put it down two or three hours later forgetting to have done so.

savofenno likes this.

7. Broadchurch

Broadchurch TDPRI Member

May 12, 2017
    Melbourne
    If I remember rightly, J Mascis was more impressed w/ this Squier model than the earlier signature model put out by Fender...does anyone else know the story there? He was speaking on this show and used the Squier to do a bit of Tom Petty.

mnutz likes this.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

9. ecosse

ecosse Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I didn't see a Squier in that clip. Looked like his '63.

10. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2015
    ca
    stoked you like it... old dino jr fan here as well..

11. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2012
    melbourne australia
    Hearing him in one interview he just thought the fender was far too expensive so wanted a signature model that was available to the masses. He swapped the stock pick ups out of his signature squire for antiquities.

Broadchurch likes this.

12. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Jun 18, 2004
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Yeah, that's definitely a Fender.

13. PearlJamNoCode

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    He certainly seems to use his Squier more these days than his purple Fender

Late Night w/ Seth Meyers
    [​IMG]

The Tonight Show
    [​IMG]

xland, savofenno and AngelDeville like this.

14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Congrats, great guitar. I'm looking for a used one or even a Deluxe.

Are you sure the pickups are different? I heard they are the same.

15. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I haven't torn one down, but the pickups on both the Mascis and Deluxe have adjustable pole pieces, which "normal" Jazzmaster pickups don't have. The only other guitar in the Fender/Squier line that has them is the Fender CP, which are a P90 derivative like the Mascis. The Mascis pickups are identical in design to the CP, so I'm pretty certain the Deluxe's pickups are the same.

As to the frets, I've heard the necks are identical but the spec sheet does list "jumbo" for the Mascis and "med jumbo" for the Deluxe, but spec sheets aren't always 100% right (the one for the Mascis says the neck is "gloss" finished, when it's actually satin). My gut tells me Squier didn't bother to reinvent the wheel, they just painted the Mascis red and stopped paying him a royalty.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    ndeli55 likes this.

16. PearlJamNoCode

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    The only thing I can comment on with absolute certainty is the frets. The Mascis are definitely jumbo, and bigger than the Deluxe's.

telemnemonics and savofenno like this.

17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Exactly my thoughts, but also haven't had any quality time with a Deluxe or tore down a JMJM.

18. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    The j mascis pickups are p90 styled

19. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Good to know- thanks!

telemnemonics likes this.

20. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2003
    Chandler Arizona
    I have one. I'm a bassman but just had to have a JM; I feel the most beautiful guitar ever made. It plays beautifully, hangs nice and the controls are pretty straight forward.

I can count on one hand the guitar tunes I play, Honky Tonk, Let's Go Trippin', Ramrod, Bulldog, Torture etc.

BorderRadio and ndeli55 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.