Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD - Squier Cabronita Bigsby

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by A.B.Negative, Aug 5, 2013.

1. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2008
    Scotland
    [​IMG]

It arrived today. Black and shiny! Needs a set of heavier strings (I use 10-52s) and the action is pretty high. The neck is very similar in dimensions to my CV50s. The back cover plate is too long and bulges out in the middle. I've started setting it up, I'll report back tomorrow.

Attached Files:

2. Vintagebrit

Vintagebrit Tele-Holic

I'd like to hear more about that one. That has got some great features and in theory is one mega-Tele.

3. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Tele-Afflicted

Congrats. Looking forward to your opinion. These are a great idea.

4. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

Oct 16, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    So awesome. Squier are killing it these days. Sometimes I wonder if the Squier guys are purposely trying to embarass Fender.

5. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2003
    Kittery, Maine
    Geez. Are these coming to the States?

6. JCW1024

JCW1024 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2010
    Richmond, Virginia
    Yes. GC says available Aug. 9.

7. Blustele

Blustele Tele-Afflicted

Dec 30, 2012
    NC

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I have to admit that I'm intrigued. Keep us posted.

9. Terry O'Malley

Terry O'Malley Tele-Holic

Nov 2, 2012
    Melbourne
    That's a beauty........good work.

Hope it works out well for you

10. marsh99

marsh99 Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2011
    London, England
    Good score, played one a few weeks back, liked it for the price and they look way cool!

11. marsh99

marsh99 Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2011
    London, England
    Good score, played one a few weeks back and posted first impressions on here. Liked it for the price and they look way cool too! Look forward to hearing your opinion on it. I badly want one of these babies!

12. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Would like to read opinions as well.

13. A.B.Negative

Aug 26, 2008
    Scotland
    As mentioned previously, the action on this guitar was pretty high. The neck pocket is a millimetre or two shallower than my CV50s (probably to compensate for the taller bridge) but I added a shim to angle the neck more. There wasn't much room left to lower the bridge assembly and the saddle grub screws were already protruding so I felt a shim was the only option.

The fretwork has been done well and the neck was nearly there, it just needed a little turn on the truss rod to get it the way I like.

The Fidelitron mounting screws were very tight. I was worried about stripping the heads of the screws but I was careful and got them moving. I can't get the pickup to sit as high as I'd like so I'll see if I've got some longer springs in my collection of spare parts. If I've got chrome pickup mounting screws I'll replace them too (the ones on the guitar are black).

The vintage tuners work smoothly and after some stretching the strings stay in tune unless I go mental with the Bigsby.

The bridge pickup is OK, slightly thinner sounding than the Alnico 3 pickup in my CV50s. The Fidelitron isn't as full-sounding as a normal humbucker but is a little muddy when I set my amp and pedals for a bridge pickup sound I like (when I set them for the Filtertron, the bridge pickup is a little shrill). I may eventually see about a replacement for the bridge pickup (I've been looking at Oil City pickups) but it'll do for now.

The guitar's fit and finish is better than the only other Vintage Modified Tele I've tried (the one with a Jazzmaster neck), closer to my CV50s.

In short, a great guitar for the money but be prepared to do some set up work and possibly change the bridge pickup.

14. marsh99

marsh99 Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2011
    London, England
    Thanks for more info ab negative. Pretty much matches my first impressions of this model in that the two pups are somewhat mismatched. I want one, but figured I would need to fit a beefier bridge pup. Oil city are a good bet and good to deal with. Talk to Ash about what you want and he will wind you a bridge pup that should work well. Might well do the same myself when I get one! Let us know how it goes if you mod it. Good luck, such a cool looking guitar!

15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Sounds like a good idea that doesn't quite "ring the bell" My first impressions were good except for that same concern about the pickups. Why they didn't just use the Filtertrons in both neck and bridge puzzled me. If I'm not mistaken the other model does use two Filtertrons.

Thanks for the run down AB. Much appreciated. Maybe the idea of a Bigsby equipped Tele isn't as great as it may seem at first. I'm also concerned about getting the action low enough. Guess I'll trip over to a GC when they get some in and compare the two.

16. T is for Tele

T is for Tele Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2012
    Right? Remember when Squier's were pieces of junk and you couldn't wait to get a real Fender? Not so much anymore.

17. A.B.Negative

Aug 26, 2008
    Scotland
    For purely aesthetic reasons I've swapped the necks on my Cabronita and CV50s.

18. A.B.Negative

Aug 26, 2008
    Scotland
    I'm really enjoying the sound of both pickups together.

19. kenstradamus

kenstradamus TDPRI Member

Oct 29, 2011
    fort wayne

20. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    That is a cool variation on a Telecaster.Enjoy!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.