Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD - Squier Affinity BSB Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by wrxmania, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fleik

fleik TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Estonia
    ah yes... my bad. How did you measure/calculate the position of the holes?

2. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Just by careful measurement really, placed the new saddles in position and sighted down the neck etc. It's quite easy as essentially the saddles will move left and right anyway on the screw/springs. They pretty much slot in between the exisiting holes, although the left and right ones are slightly more to the outsides.

3. fleik

fleik TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Estonia
    sounds reasonable.

I'm facing a dilemma, if I should modify my current Affinity BSB tele in a similar way you did it, or should I get the Squier CV50s instead of it.

Reading your topic has encouraged me again to go to the road of modifying, but not quite sure yet.

4. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2008
    StatesVegas, NC
    Please, for the love of mankind, do not make any comparisons to it being as good or better than your USA Tele or a CS model. The thread will go on for days. ;)

5. fleik

fleik TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Estonia
    And dilemma solved :) Went after modifying my affinity.

6. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2011
    Lowell, Mass
    Well you definitely spent your money wisely... and for on the cheap you did good. Well Done.

7. MiloCroton

MiloCroton Tele-Holic

Nov 5, 2011
    uk

Do the 3 brass saddles fit onto the standard affinity tailpiece?

What exactly wrong with the jack and switch that makes them even more important to change than the pots/caps etc? The latter actually make a difference to tone and cheap pots get crackly quickly. Is there some sort of mechanical shortcomings of the switch & jack? or is it a sound thing?

8. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    It was all a part of the whole wiring kit I bought.

The jack upgrade was an obvious one for me - moved it to a solid plate and have had zero issues with it moving etc since built a while ago now - and it's been gigged alongside my other guitars as a spare since built.

The switch is a nasty thing and I also upgraded to a better quality switch - feels more solid and when you see the build of the original, and knowing the quality of it, the switch upgrade I think is worth doing if doing all the other electronics - it's the old "you're only as strong as your weakest link" phrase.

Still going strong (original demo video here):

http://youtu.be/fklKUA_CBb8

Brian

9. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    The 3 three brass saddles are drilled to fit the bridge (as you'll see from the details in the thread). Works brilliantly - and I am still considering doing it to my USA tele (which has the six saddles) - bang for buck, I think it makes a REAL difference to the tone!

10. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Absolutely - NOT worth it. It's a different beast.

I like the fact it's thinner, lighter and "disposable" - I have gigged it a lot, and take it everywhere in a gig bag as my spare. It has shared a stage with many a "better" instrument and stood up very well.

I love the idea of plugging a "cheap" Chinese instrument into expensive hand built amps, rack gear etc...that's why I left the Squier name on it too.

Brian.

11. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    A year and a half in, still being gigged every week (as a backup guitar) and the neck is shaping in some nice playing wear marks/darkness... Looked after but now at least looks played on the fingerboard...

Brian.

12. Flaskan

Flaskan TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Sweden
    I'm wondering first of all, doesn't the CTS pots and CRL switch fit the original controlplate? And second, is it 10 mm holes for tuners? :)

13. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Can't quite remember. The CTS pots DON'T fir through the holes on the plate I am sure - I certainly had to widen them.

The screw holes for the tuners - again not sure, just matched them to a slightly undersized drill bit.

14. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Today's simple mods (other than getting her in the sunlight for some more ageing) that's been needing done for a while!

Since fitting the 3 saddle conversion on my Squier a while ago, due to the longer bridge plate, the intonation/lengthening screws for the saddles have always been at their max (but perfect) position. I ordered and fitted some new M2 40mm screws (the originals are 30mm).

Brilliant - they now have the same length beyond the saddle as they do on a vintage bridge.

Guitar is doing great overall and stands up to my MIM and MIA telecasters. I like the thinner body and slightly narrow width at the nut.

15. TeleMan59

TeleMan59 Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2011
    Midwest
    They have a nice looking BB model at the local shop for $99. It played alright..It did feel a bit thinner which it is. I passed on it but it was tempting. I still like the SX I have better for the same price. Full size body and the bigger neck I like. The BB did look good though!

16. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland

17. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Hi all,

Fitted these a while back after all the other mods on the Squier Affinity Tele.

They are great pickups, hand made by Joe for me (I have 4 guitars with these pickups in them). They are a flat pole 52 spec.

JKG Guitars, London - Sonic Monkey Pickups

Anyway, shows you how a cheap guitar can sound with a bit of work and a decent amp etc.

Brian.

18. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    The neck on this guitar is now starting to wear quite well, with lots of play, gigs and is now displaying some visible fret wear in a few places - once it gets a bit messy I'll fret dress it and that will hopefully pull the frets into better shape than ever. I might put a shim in the neck too to get the action down a bit - the saddles are at their lowest possible and it's not enough...

The other thing which has had a good effect and is worthwhile over time is getting it in the sun. The neck finish has darkened hugely since I got it a year or two back from the anaemic white to actually a few shades darker than my USA 05 tele, which has had the same treatment.

[​IMG]

19. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Fret dressed the guitar last night using my new kit - worked out great and now the frets are shiny, level and well crowned!

After all of the use it's had, the frets were starting to wear down.

20. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Well, after the painting of my Esquire build (ash body, sanding sealed, shellac primer, nitro satin clear/satin blonde finish alternation) has gone so well so far I have bitten the bullet.

I have ordered the "stuff" I need to refinish the Squier in Daphne Blue Nitro with a white nitro sanding sealer/primer basecoat onto the alder/agathis body! I also plan to swap the bridge to a standard vintage bridge but may well leave it as a top loader...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.