Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD - Squier Affinity BSB Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by wrxmania, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok..those #s are Geek to me..as I only know the US dollar value..sorry. I know I could do a conversion...Im guessing it's between $230. - $250 US dollars ;) If so...thats a lot of guitar for cheap by any standards :eek:

One helleva guitar there fellow Member :cool:

2. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Yeah - £150 is roughly $238 at the moment. Not bad at all.

Brian.

3. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Is it easy enough to convert these to the traditional string through style? Or is doing so a waste of time?

4. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Total waste of time I believe (after much research and 10000000 posts on here!)

Generally people make a botch of it, ferrules never properly aligned, finish cracks on the guitar etc...

Sound brilliant without the need for that. Change the saddles on the bridge has a much more noticeable effect I believe.

It's twangy enough and VERY resonant. Get a decent Squier in the first place and it will sing after the mods.

Worthwhile doing.

Brian.

5. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I am seriously considering grabbing one to satisfy my Tele GAS. I've been in contact with someone selling an essentially brand new Affinity for $185(CDN) and have offered him $75-$125 for it. He keeps reposting it trying to get his full asking price but, when that fails (they sell for that brand new in stores), he keeps emailing me asking if I am still interested. I'm hoping to get it, or another one, in the price range I just mentioned.

When I get one I will do a bunch of mods but, not having ever done any mods to a guitar myself, I am betting I will screw it up royally so I might buy all the parts and just pay someone to do the work for me.

If the guitar turns out to be really nice I will keep it and will be perfectly happy with it. If I am not happy with it I can just mod it into a Keith Richards Tele.

6. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Yeah - my advice is (from having done it now and modded tons of guitars in the past) in the following order of importance,

1. Buy the cheapest but best "base" guitar you can get get - ie if the guitar is junk before you modify it, it will only be slightly better - the phrase which springs to mind is "you can't polish a sh~t!".
    (1a - GET THE GUITAR PROPERLY SET UP AND ANY FRET WORK NEEDING DONE - will make the biggest difference of all)
    2. Upgrade the 6 cheap saddles to 3 brass saddles or 6 decent saddles (3 brass is best I feel on this top loader bridge - really adds a great bright twangy edge to it). Needs drilled for this.
    3. Upgrade the jack socket and switch (and pots/wiring if you can be bothered).
    4. Swap out the cheap (but reasonable sounding) pickups - get something of decent quality but don't go to the price of the guitar - no need.
    5. Change any other things you don't like - strap locks, nut (fine for me), knobs, tuners (but the standard HIGHLY LIKELY to be Gotoh are totally fine - me changing to Fender was an unnecessary extravagance I feel).
    6. "Kiwi" the neck to deepen the shade and stop it getting so dirty (it has very thin lacquer).

Other than that - play it to death and keep it with fresh strings and use a decent guitar cable!

Brian.

7. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I'm due to make my way back home to Scotland this year as I go back every three years for an extended visit. While I was thinking that finances wouldn't allow it this year, maybe I can hire you to mod the thing for me and that will give me the perfect excuse to bite the financial bullet and get myself back there :D

8. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Lol - I ain't no expert for sure! Jimmy Moon is a real expert and does all the serious work to my important guitars (www.moonguitars.co.uk).

9. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Well you did a damned fine job on yours!

Then again, Moon Guitars is in Glasgow and I'm from Ayrshire (Mum from Ayr, Dad from Kilwinning, and I lived in Ayr as a kid) so he wouldn't be too far away if I did make it home!

Alas, I doubt finances will permit a trip home this year so I'll just have to find someone around here to do the work for me. Then again, it might be good experience to try to do it myself.

I'd also like to change the colour of the guitar if I get the one I am negotiating on right now as I really don't like the whitish colour with the white pick guard. But I'm betting it would be too much work to refinish it.

10. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Absolutely - DIY - the best way to learn.

One thing I would suggest is......

USE THIS BRILLIANT FORUM!

Bursting with info here and someone will know how to fix what you make a mess of!

And remember - it was a cheap guitar and there's virtually nothing that can't be fixed!

11. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Oh believe me, before I started any project I would be checking here for us much advice as people cared to give!

12. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Guitar starting to settle in a bit, raised the neck pickup a bit to balance the tone out and adjusted the setup slightly.

Seems this will be a very good guitar - and brighter sounding than my USA tele :)

13. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    Cool mod wrxmania, and sound advice as well. Colchar - seriously think about going down the DIY route - the Affinity is the perfect platform to learn on. As has been said, there is no shortage of advice on here and you'll get almost instant help if you need to ask anything. You'll save a fortune and have a rewarding learning experience too.

14. Charlie97L

Charlie97L TDPRI Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Montgomery Village, MD
    loving this thread!

i just registered, came over from squier talk... i have an affinity BSB tele that i'm looking to mod, and your suggested mods are great.

how can i tell if i have a good tele to start with? it seems to be fine to me, but i'm still a rather novice player and these things escape me. it *feels* pretty good to me.

and can anyone recommend a place i can get the brass saddles in the US? all i see are replacement bridges with them attached. thanks!

15. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Give it to the best player you know (who is not an arrogant arse) and get their opinion on the quality...

Search google or ebay for the saddles.

Brian.

16. Charlie97L

Charlie97L TDPRI Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Montgomery Village, MD
    thanks. man i see one set on ebay, no luck on google, it's all with bridges.

guess i'll hit up the 'bay. :)

17. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Quick update to say the Squier Affinity is settling in well, is seeing some wear to the (thin) finish on the neck as it has been played so much.

I take it to every gig with me as a "behind the amp" spare but tend to use it for at least a couple of numbers every night. It is totally different to my 05 Tele in every way, but is an equally great guitar.

Well worth the time and effort.

I have now added 8 black screws to the scratchplate and sanded the plate to a totally matt finish. I have also now added Schaller straplocks as I don't want it breaking unnecessarily - it has reached a certain level of importance (not enough to earn it a hard case yet!).

Brian.

18. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Guitar is still going great and is becoming well played in now :)

19. fleik

fleik TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Estonia
    did the wilkinson bridge fit nicely with the PU cavity. Are there any other drilling modifications needed for the guitar, besides the new screwholes?

20. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    It's not a Wilkinson bridge - if you look through the details you'll see I drilled the back heel to mount the three brass saddles. Wilkinson bridge is a different size I am sure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.