Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD - Squier Affinity BSB Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by wrxmania, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Hi all,

After loving my 2005 USA American Series 2 tone sunburst Tele (with 4 way switch and Bare Knuckle Blackguard Flat 50's in it), I have been looking for a project...so along came this bargain!

It came with a Ritter gigbag, Fender strap and a worn copy of Duchossoir's excellent book (I'll pass this one to another convert).

It has some marks and knock, needs a good set up and clean and then I'll begin the mods :)

Not plugged it in yet...

Here she is...first pics.

Brian.

Attached Files:

2. birv2

birv2 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    Welcome to the club! What mods are you planning? I see you're also over on Club Affinity.

That guitar's a nice looking one. Except for that white neck!

3. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Yeah - the neck is pretty dirty actually so I'll get that off and "get tinting" - got the shoe polish looked out already :)

I've just scored a set of Fender Tuners from the USA on eBay (although now it has arrived, they look suspiciously like unbranded Gotoh, so that was likely a waste of money).

I have a set of USA Tele pickups from my 05 American Series Tele, removed basically from new.

I had a 3 way switch, but just used it in my PRS Mira as the three way in that was poor, so need to get another.

Going to get the cavities lined with copper as it's slightly buzzy, but not too bad.

Needs a serious set-up and I think I'll put on a new nut (http://www.axesrus.com/axeNuts.htm) and probably drill the top-loader for a set of compensated brass saddles (the ones on it are poor).

The tone control is pretty useless - next to no change from about 3 - 10, 1 - 3 has all the tone change on it almost works as an on/off at 0 - 1! Both pots are pretty noisy but some electrical switch cleaner will sort that for a while.

It seriously needs set-up and some of the frets could do with a bit of sanding/polishing.

Other than that, it's pretty good and not a bad guitar for a "cheapy" - not a patch on my USA one with it's mods BUT will be a great 2nd tele when done.

REALLY tempting to throw things at it but the way I'm going I'll spend more on parts for it than on the guitar! With a decent set-up, a basic BSB would actually be quite good.

Brian.

4. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Oh! I should say I am going to drill the scratchplate to enable the neck pickup to be adjusted without needing to take off the plate - stupid design!

5. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Great platform for modding. My Affinity is my 'every day' guitar.
    Some modding suggestions, not that you asked:

ReRanch tint on the neck
    Remove the 3 'extra' pickguard screws and replace them with black ones
    File and dress the frets
    Sand the pickguard and spray it with satin lacquer
    Change the nut (I used bone)
    Pickups were ok but I got some Fender OVs cheap and they are great
    Tuners were ok too but I put in Kluson replicas

Great guitars they are.

6. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Cheers.

What is ReRanch? I was going with the old Kiwi brand :)

I could replace all of the screws with black one :)

The other thing I am going to do is change the string tree too.

7. cfender

cfender Tele-Meister

Jul 13, 2007
    Rockland County, NY
    I have been picking up my BSB Affinity more lately as an alterntive to the CVC and CV50. It sounds and plays frickin great. I highly recommend as first Tele or for anyone that wants BSB at the lowest cost possible. Mine is an unusual example from 2007 that has a glossy finish on the back of the neck. Every other one I've picked up has the unfinishied neck. I never shoe polished the neck but it has started to darken and relic naturally. I have some GFS pickups on the way for my first ever PUP swap. I was thinking of selling it now that I have the CV's but it's earned its place back recently.

8. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Here's pics of it with my main tele

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Mar 12, 2006
    Central New York
    Nice Christmas score! Welcome to the Affinity Club, may your guitar never be the same again!

10. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    It never will for sure! Already done a quick set-up, playing much better but switch is crackly, earthing buzzes with fingers on/off the strings, and the saddles sit bizarrely as the intonation screws go uphill from the saddle due to action being down.

I could shim the neck to fix this but that's ridiculous for what is a poor design. Will look at various options :)

Plays and sounds fine (neck pickup needs to go up a bit) - could gig with it all year long (once crackles sorted) as it is a good instrument. Neck seems good, nice grain in it (plain - which I believe is stringer than figured) and it has a lacquered back and unfinished fingerboard as far as I can tell. It's a 2007 MY.

Not a bad purchase at all I must say! Now just to hold back on spending £/$ on it!!!

11. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Billings MT
    A little ultra fine steel wool on the neck, front and back will gloss it up to it's fullest potential. Cool guitar, I used to have one and thought it was a great 2nd Tele. Pups are a little lacking when playing live though but what do you expect for a inexpensive Tele.

The thinner body is nice and light while standing.

Merry Christmas to you too!

12. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    It's actually slightly heavier than my USA guitar (a pound or two maybe) BUT balances very well. My main guitar is Ash though. Luckily a very resonant light one...

Pickups will be changed out anyway - the other pickups are ready for it...shame to waste them.

13. redcurtis

redcurtis Tele-Meister

May 31, 2008
    ottawa
    I've had one for a few years, and it was great 'off the shelf' from guitar center....in albany or syracuse I think. It's been my 'winter' guitar (leave in the trunk all day) since I got it.

My bandmate now has it up on the hoist for a new bridge (drilled yesterday), new pickups, pots, switch, and a bunch of other stuff I just don't understand, but i bet it'll sound AWESOME-ER than it did before. I'll post pictures once I have it back.

have a rockin' xmas y'all.

\m/

14. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 6, 2009
    the delta bc
    looks like the jack plate already has been swapped to a metal lp one

enjoy your guitars!

15. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Yeah - the jack socket was swapped - it's only change as the plastic junk broke (obviously).

Just about to order a new wiring kit for it, with a new switch (3 way although I have a four way in my main tele so may go with that...), CTS (audio taper) pots (250k), an orange .47 cap, waxed wire, etc

Any thoughts?

16. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland

Just online mod-hunting and making some decision!

17. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    Instead of the Kiwi polish, consider shellac, which is more work to apply but looks better IMO - have a look at my posts on the Club Affinity thread.

For the pickguard, try scrubbing it with the green side of a scouring pad, which takes the gloss off it nicely in no time at all.

18. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2010
    Scotland
    Hi all,

Had a go at the "Kiwi" mod (actually used a different brand) but seems to have deepened the tone a good bit, without being tanning-salon style! The grain looks richer and it has helped, alongside buffing the neck a bit to really bring out the grain, cover the wear on the unfinished fingerboard (which I don't mind) and also to remove the anaemic look.

Much better. Tried to get pics of it but difficult. Here are a couple - the one with the flash on the neck gives you an idea of the contrast if not the colour.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brian.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.