NGD. Sometimes you win....

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by czatzke, May 23, 2019.

1. czatzke

czatzke TDPRI Member

... and sometimes you win bigtime!!! I was lucky enough to score this from the original owner and friend of the luthier. This is a Michael John Bly original work. Micky filed And was granted US Patent 6,255,566 B1 in July of 2001 for:”UNITARY GUITAR CONSTRUCTION.”

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/7e/ef/91/441d962e153459/US6255566.pdf

He is a guitar builder here in Michigan, Ypsilanti area I believe...

It needs a bit of TLC as the previous owner didn’t play it much, but holy hot damn!! It’s truly something

The guitar body, neck,and headstock are all a single piece of hand carved lightweight mahogany. The top is a thick flamethrower cap, and it has extra wide binding laid around. All finished in pure sweet antique honey nitro baby!!!!!!

The neck is a slugger down by the nut and tapers nicely to a pretty fast upper register. Haven’t checked the fret radius, but it feels like a 7.5 maybe 8” non-compound.

The USA Carvin Blades are surprisingly ok for now. The wiring is strange and I haven’t opened it up to see what exactly it’s doing... it works 100% flawlessly, but I think there’s something more magical going on under the hood as I’ve never heard a tone control do what this one does.. it’s almost like an ISF..

I got it for seriously cheap. Like next to nothing cheap. Like paid more for the family to eat at McDonald’s after picking it up cheap. Like unreal, can’t believe this is happening, can’t believe this is happening cheap..

If anybody has more info on this builder or this guitar.. fill me in!
    285ABBF7-43FE-4114-B103-B847DBAE1924.jpeg 4EB8522A-C4B3-4E92-A1B1-23ED706CBEFF.jpeg 8D16E68B-5E00-488B-A669-973486368EFE.jpeg E9025596-8502-4312-8E97-87D6441982A3.jpeg 80E5E21E-1591-4CF0-9D10-19633F445158.jpeg

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Very cool!

czatzke likes this.
  3. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What-a-top!
    What-a-back!
    What-a-deal!
    Happy
    One off
    Day

Peace - Deeve

czatzke likes this.
  4. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Lucky dog! If you find out, please let us know how the controls are wired, now I'm curious. Any chance the 'tone' knob is a blend control?

czatzke likes this.
  5. czatzke

czatzke TDPRI Member

Thanks!

Haha!! Thanks, couldn’t be happier!!

Thanks squirrel! I’m wondering if it’s a blend because the bridge pickup is “on” in every switch position. Hopefully I’ll open it up today and grab some pics.

I’m actually loving the shape too. It’s surprisingly light for being pretty much a solid chunk of mahogany. Perceivably lighter than my US strat. Anybody have case ideas!? Lol

6. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Wonderful guitar! Congrats!
    Maybe look at bass cases?

czatzke likes this.
  7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

I like it.
    I would name it Captain.

czatzke likes this.
  8. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Don’t know a thing about it but that’s a pretty cool looking guitar. I would be tempted to change the pickups just for cosmetic reasons, especially if you’re not thrilled with how they sound. I think it needs three black ones.

czatzke likes this.
  9. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

Congratulations! What a wonderful NGD!
    That is a beautifully grained top and very unusual to see that size of Mahogany used in the body & neck.
    The luthier must've had a real nice stock of wood on hand, you don't often see wide prime stock like that at the local lumber yard.

czatzke likes this.
  10. czatzke

czatzke TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the thoughts guys!! I just brought it in to Elderly. The luthiers had nothing but good things to say. Needs minor work (fret dress/polish etc.) having them do that and clean up the wiring to figure out exactly what’s going on (pics below)

Carlos at Elderly said he’d never seen anything like it and that it was of a high level of craftsmanship, and having been awarded the patent makes it pretty cool!

I’m defintely one to swap things around! I actually like US carvin blades more than I thought I would. I’ll play with it as is for now.

Oooh!! I like that!!

Yeah, and I would expect to to be a boat anchor being one solid timber! It’s a really nice quarter sawn piece! I’ll get a shot of the thickness of maple cap from the pickup cavity it’s probably 3/4” thick.

When I opened the control cavity, there was a little plastic baggy rolled up in it... I was like “oh geesh, what’s this going to be?!” Hoping it would be some ludes from back when ludes were actually ludes, I unrolled it to find 8 screws that seem to have no place on the guitar. lol!!

Anyway. The wiring is strange to say the least. Carlos at Elderly is going to clean it up and document exactly what’s going on. The volume pot is rigged up with resistors and it’s a bit jumbly.. if anyone can tell from the pics, please elaborate!

Stay tuned for post setup pics and hopefully a link to some sound samples!!

BE2CABF3-C0A8-4804-8EF8-59AA4178A7B2.jpeg 5F9BAEC2-BC20-4ECD-BFFD-C5F3ED959603.jpeg 0BB09087-1E50-457F-9890-A1A093E5A2C3.jpeg 01908EFF-D26A-4689-B5A4-154F066978A9.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  11. Uncle_Battuh

Uncle_Battuh TDPRI Member

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

I would suggest that the screws were intended for the machine heads with a couple of spares? Very nice guitar. I cannot imagine the difficulty of making a body with the neck attached or a neck with the body attached. The only way I can see that happening is 3D cnc all the way.
    Just an amazing guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.