Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

NGD: Ron Kirn Ol' Blackie

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Wolfhaus, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Wolfhaus

Wolfhaus TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Hello! I recently took delivery of this beauty.

This is my first tele. I must say I have never played anything better than this. The wait was well worth it. I originally wanted the vintage 3-barrel bridge, but I am thrilled with this Rio Grande stainless steel for a more modern look and intonation purposes. I am also possibly an ex-strat player, so the six saddle configuration is a more familiar concept. The neck is a Fat C profile. I don't have any measurements, but it is probably just about an inch at the 1st fret and a little thicker at the 12th. The body is 1-piece swamp ash. I don't know the weight but it's the lightest guitar I own. Probably 7ish lbs. if I had to guess.

The bad news is this thing hates my apartment. Acoustically it sounds great, but plugged in it is almost unplayable. I have tried every outlet, every room, every playable orientation, turned off circuits, dimmer lights, computer monitors, TVs, fluorescent lights. Nothing eliminated the hum except for if I hold the thing upside down over my head in one spot in my living room. When I took it to the rehearsal spot and plugged her in, the glory was unleashed. Quiet as a mouse. Unfortunately, I am not at the rehearsal spot the majority of the time and do most of my playing at home. I guess I will have to think about some noiseless options if I want to do any home recording, or get one of those Teeter inversion tables to help get to the sweet spot.

Cheers!

HappyHwy1owner, bsman, riff and 6 others like this.
  2. Dingbat

Dingbat Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Congrats on a beauty! That fat neck looks glorious and just channel Hendrix when you play it over your head in the living room:)
    If you ever need a break from it just send it down the road to Eugene and I'll look after it.

Wolfhaus likes this.
  3. static111

static111 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Aiel Waste
    These are sweet guitars!!! Ron knows his stuff!

Wolfhaus likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    Congrats on the classy score.

You're using the same amp, pedals, and cables at home and when playing out, I assume.

So, at home, the Electro-Harmonix Hum-Debugger and/or power conditioners might help. Also, your phone might be a culprit. Shielding within the guitar can be enough to be decisive. Less/the wrong type/misapplied stuff could be just enough vulnerability within the guitar to team up with power problems at home. Have you had the guitar's connections/solders checked?

If you're in an apt. building, then what your neighbors are plugging in/operating might be a factor/cause.

If "home" is a house, have an electrician check things/run a dedicated line you'll use for your amp.

Got power lines, a power station, a transmission tower near home? Might be little you can do about it, if so.

Weirdest version of this I've run into: When playing at home I sat; when out, I stood. When sitting, that put a little cable torque and angle on the jack, and that was enough to create problems. Fixed the jack's connections, and the problem went away.

Good luck! I'm sure this is very frustrating.

Wolfhaus likes this.
  6. rdonahue

rdonahue TDPRI Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Congrats on the new guitar. Those Kirn's are gorgeous.

Wolfhaus likes this.
  7. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Madras, OR
    Then you can send it over to Madras. Those guitars to second to none.

Wolfhaus likes this.
  8. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Have you got one of those outlet testers with the led lights to check your outlets at the apartment just to make sure it'd wired up safe and grounded? Otherwise, maybe your neighbors are doing some strange stuff?

Wolfhaus likes this.
  9. Wolfhaus

Wolfhaus TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the suggestions! I have a power strip with a ground LED that lights up. Maybe some sort of power conditioner would help a bit.

10. Wolfhaus

Wolfhaus TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Maybe I will take her on a tour of the state.

11. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Wow Wolf, that is a beauty, I'm so jealous. RK is a hero around here.

Have you tried going to the fuse box and tried shutting each breaker, one at a time? Plug in your amp so you can hear it, then try each breaker, until you find the circuit that is causing the buzz. Then, maybe you can isolate the cause of the hummmmm. Do your other guitars have this issue? You may need to look into that Electro-Harmonix Hum Debugger http://www.ehx.com/products/hum-debugger

Welcome to the forum, nice avatar.

Or you could mail the guitar to me, I'll have it fixed up in a year or two :D

RoscoeElegante and Wolfhaus like this.
  12. Wolfhaus

Wolfhaus TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Thanks Blue Bill. I did try each breaker that I could. Not many options in my small place. It's probably just an unfortunate location. I am right next to a laundry room and have neighbors above and next door as well.

Blue Bill likes this.
  13. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

Coos Bay's nice this time of year. . .your guitar's a beauty!

Wolfhaus likes this.
  14. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    Looks like another quality Tele from Ron Kirn, congrats!!

static111 and Wolfhaus like this.
  15. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Your first tele?

Started near the top, didn't you...!

Congrats, many years and good health to you both.

Wolfhaus likes this.
  16. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    The laundry room could be the cause with Dc motors in the machines?

Wolfhaus likes this.
  17. Teledelphia

Teledelphia Tele-Holic

Mar 12, 2008
    philadelphia
    That's sweet. Thinking about an Old Blackie myself someday. Couple questions: what color is it (looks like butterscotch blond but pictures can be deceiving)?
    What are the Kirn pu's like? Re: your hum issues, I live in an old house with old wiring and all manor of florescent lighting, etc. which is like the hum capital of Philadelphia. I actually play down in my basement which of course has a florescent light fixture. I had almost sworn off single coil pu's but I bought an EHX Hum Debugger and the thing actually works. It's not a noise gate and I have no idea how it works but it does kill the hum. It does effect your tone a bit but it's minimal and worth the trade-off IMO.

Wolfhaus likes this.
  18. Wolfhaus

Wolfhaus TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, the finish looks different in almost every shot, but it is the Butterscotch. It is lighter than I expected, but should change over time. As far as the pickups, I am not an expert on teles but they seem to hit the mark. They definitely have met my expectations as far as my idea of how a tele should sound. I opted for the 4-way switch and believe all 4 positions could be very useful. Still trying to feel it out a bit. I have done some rearranging of things in the apartment and have found a comfortable, less noisy spot. I am just enjoying everything about it, even the challenge of eliminating the noise:)!

I have been watching videos of the Hum Debugger and am considering it if all else fails. I have a Tripp Lite Isobar on the way to see if that may help at all. If not, a decent surge suppressor is not a bad thing to have anyway.

19. riff

riff Tele-Meister

May 15, 2010
    Springfield, MO
    Great looking Kirn! Love mine. It's a great player, looker, and sounds great too.

Wolfhaus likes this.
  20. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 29, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Great looking guitar! I bet it plays and sounds great too. Congrats.

Wolfhaus likes this.
  21. bsman

bsman Tele-Holic

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    What a beauty! My Kirn (barnbuster) also has the fat C neck, and I find it very comfortable. Oddly, it is also one of my quietest single-coil guitars.

Wolfhaus likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.