Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD Rickenbacker 660

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Torz Johnson, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Jun 9, 2003
    NY
    Back in the halcyon days of October 1979, an 18 year old me was listening to my favorite radio station, K-Rock broadcasting out of Sacramento CA. One evening they played a new song called Here comes my girl by Tom Petty, which hooked me instantly.

The next morning I ran down to Eucalyptus Records and spent my dishwashing job paycheck on Damn the Torpedoes, as well as the T-shirt. I actually still have both of them stuck away somewhere.

Anyway, just look at that 660/12 on the cover. I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen in my life. I had barely started playing on a cheap Memphis LP copy, and I dreamed of one day owning a guitar like that.

[​IMG]

Well that day finally came today, and it's all I dreamed it would be. I went with the 6 string because I'm just not a 12 string kind of guy. Still amazing though. It's NOS 2016 and with all that flame I don't know why it sat in stock for so long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Congrats! If I recall correctly, a 660 has a 1 3/4" nut -- a Rickie you can actually fingerpick!

brookdalebill likes this.

3. gtrplr

gtrplr Tele-Meister

May 22, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Back in my misspent youth, I had a Ric 420. Love the cresting wave. I keep thinking one of these days...

Congrats on a beautiful guitar.

4. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan

5. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I don't think Tom Petty had a 660 on that cover. It didn't come out until the 2000s. It must have been a 620/12 in that picture.

6. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

Sep 1, 2011
    Texas
    It's said to be a 625-12. Supposedly the early '60s prototype that Mike Campbell bought through a classified ad (remember those?).

7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    So it had a vibrato?

9. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

Sep 1, 2011
    Texas
    No, supposedly it's one of those times where Rickenbacker went against their own numbering system, sort of like the 425 and some others.

10. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Nice Story.

Beautiful Guitar. :cool:

Lately I have been getting Ric Fever. o_O

11. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 5, 2007
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Very nice! Finding a left handed one is a long time quest of mine, but finding a unicorn is more likely. Sigh. But I do love my 330.

12. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Meister

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    Great story. How about some video when you get a free moment?

13. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    Congrats on a killer Ric! That’s exactly what I would buy if I wanted a Ric right now. I had a 650 years ago and man those wide neck Rics are the bomb!
    I built a 12 string Tele recently.
    Love playing Petty.....prolly my fave.

I remember when DTT came out too. I had the same feelings about the music and the album cover. Coolest Ric ever right there. Love the creating Wave shape.
    MC did find it in a classified ad in the high desert outside LA. He drove to get it and was sorely disappointed it wasn’t a 360 like George played. But it played good and he got a good deal.
    Not it is early as iconic a guitar as George’s 360...at least it is to me.

RodeoTex likes this.

14. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Jun 9, 2003
    NY
    Shoot, I bought the wrong guitar! Thanks again, weird Ric numbering system. :)

15. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Meister

Oct 13, 2011
    Somerset UK
    That's a real beauty ! Everyone should have at least one Ricky.

16. smartsoul72

smartsoul72 Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2017
    pennsylvania

17. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    Hope to own a 660/12 myself one day, not too many of them over here close enough to try out, all the other Rick 12's have too narrow necks for my taste. Love my 650S, and until I find a 660/12 will have to make do with a Burns Double-Six. Congrats on the new guitar.

18. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Jan 1, 2014
    UK

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

20. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    Congrats, that's a gorgeous guitar. My 660 is a 12 and i love it, very playable. Gotta love those toasters!

My Ric 6 stringer is a 360 with the Hi Gains, and its no slouch either.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.