Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD - Revised

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by raysachs, Aug 4, 2018.

1. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Early last week, I bought a new Squier Bullet Tele for travel - I posted about it here:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-its-crazy-what-180-will-buy-you-these-days.857608/#post-8520018

And while it's a damn fine guitar for $179, It brought to mind a Classic Vibe tele I had briefly last September or October. I didn't keep it - I was looking for a second guitar to my strat and it just wasn't different enough to get any playing time. But I was crazy impressed with it. With how nice a guitar it was for $400 and the level of refinement that seemed right there with the $700-$900 MIM guitars I'd played. And as impressive as the Bullet was, it just wasn't nearly to that level. The neck wasn't as nice, the frets had some issues that are beyond my meager setup skills, a couple of strings couldn't be strung with the saddle set to intonate property (I guess this was a problem with the new Player teles, but my understanding is Fender has addressed it for those), etc. Not terrible, but I'm used to nicer guitars than that.

So I started looking online and saw a few used Classic Vibes in the $250-275 range and I decided I'd rather have one of those for $75-100 more than the Bullet. So I ordered one and returned the Bullet. The Classic Vibe showed up this morning and it's kind of awesome. The primary intent of this guitar is to take the neck off and stuff it in a suitcase with my clothes for travel. And the Bullet might have stayed in the suitcase when I was at home. But the Classic Vibe is nice enough that I'm pretty sure it'll have a regular place on my wall. The one I had briefly last year was vintage blonde - this one is BSB (it's what I could find used). And there is just something so classic about a BSB tele - I'm happy to have one again.

It plays great, it sounds great, it's intonation is close enough for government work. This is a guitar I'll enjoy all year round instead of just when I'm traveling. And it's my least expensive guitar by a good bit, so if an airline should lose or damage it, I can handle the difference between this and the Bullet for the replacement cost. So while I don't think of myself as primarily a tele guy by a long shot, now I have two teles (one with P90s), a strat, and an Ibanez semi-hollow. So I guess on some level I am a tele guy...

A couple quick pics - just a basic Classic Vibe, you've seen a million of 'em, now you've seen a million and one...

[​IMG]untitled-1-15 by Ray, on Flickr

[​IMG]untitled-3-8 by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  2. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2016
    Tip of the Mitt
    I have such a soft spot for the classic vibes series.

They punch way above the perceived quality tiers at a extremely reasonable cost.

Put aside brand snobbery/nationalism/and guitar dude hoodoo, a person can get a fine playing instrument and make great music at entry level prices.

congrats on the BSB, play they snot out of it!

nicod98, telestratosonic and raysachs like this.
  3. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Expect them to cost $100 more by Christmas.
    I wonder how they will be percieved vs MIM then.

raysachs likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
  5. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Well, if we handle this whole trade war thing badly enough, the MIM Fenders will go up by at least as much. And then they'll raise the price on MIA Fenders to keep the proper market positioning in place. We'll pay more for everything, but the relative values will probably stay close...

-Ray

ianstrike, hellopike and awasson like this.
  6. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    Congrats -- love the wood!

raysachs likes this.
  7. jay_mci

jay_mci Tele-Meister

May 2, 2010
    Indiana
    Love that grain.

raysachs likes this.
  8. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Congratulations...

The most important is that you got the guitar that fits you...

raysachs likes this.
  9. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    Love it!

Probably a good idea to put neck bolts in instead of screws if you're going to keep taking the neck off.

10. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Sep 26, 2015
    Maldon, England
    Congrats. I love everything about the CV bar the neck. I like the flatter radius but the skinny profile and grippy poly give me cramp. I'd say the fit and finish is better than my MIM standard, better pickups and detailing; I just get on better with the neck. I've done what I can to bring mine to a similar spec as the CV- 50's bridge, Kluson tuners and A5 pups. Got a set of Tomerider Vintage plus on the way too. All that to make it as good as a CV at half the price!

P1120470.JPG

Fendereedo and raysachs like this.
  11. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Probably not gonna take the neck off often enough for it to be a problem - not likely more than 2-3 times per year if that. And if it becomes a problem and I strip out the holes in the body, THAT will be a good time to drill it out and put neck bolts in. Or if it takes long enough, to get another cheap guitar. No need to do it now though...

-Ray

12. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    What guitar model did you start with? Just wondering how you fit a string though vintage bridge on any other kind of Squier Tele.

13. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 23, 2005
    Glenview Illinois
    Love the grain...Congrats

14. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    See the first post, above. I linked to the Squire Bullet tele I bought previously. The problem with that bridge was that if you set the modern bridge saddles to intonate properly, a couple of them blocked the string holes, so you couldn't get the string to come through the saddle. I guess the Player series has had some similar issues, but I'm not sure if it's the same thing or not. No issues with the vintage type bridge on the Classic Vibe...

-Ray

15. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    I'm sorry, I was referring to the post by uncledaddy where he said he built a CV clone for half the price, which seems a stretch considering the price of the tuners, pickups, bridge, 5 screw pickguard, etc.

The lowest priced version of the Alnico 3 Tele pickups I have found are those by BYOGuitar which look just like the CV VB pickups except for cloth wire, and they are $60/set plus shipping.

raysachs likes this.
  16. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    And I forgot to mention, I LOVE my Classic Vibe, so I think you made the right choice!

Mine is Vintage Blonde, but updated with parchment 5 hole pickguard, Fender vintage knobs, Fender bridge plate, steel saddles, and the "dark circuit".

It's my take on a '55 Telecaster.

raysachs likes this.
  17. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    That CV is nice and all...but maybe you should step up to a Baja...you know...for traveling with. Slippery slope!

18. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    The thought crossed my mind, but only for a second. The price of a used CV is something I can say adios to without much pain if something were to happen to it during my travels. A new or even used Baja would be way outside that threshold. I also don't really love the pickups or the switching in the Baja - I mostly love the neck. And if I happen to see a 50s Baja neck floating around on some used site, I may well grab it and leave it on this guitar when it's at home, but still take the CV neck when I travel so nothing would happen to the Baja neck. Then again, this is my fourth out of four electrics anyway, so it seems kind of silly to start thinking about putting more into it. First I might try to find a Jimmie Vaughan or Clapton neck for my Cray hardtail strat. That's my #1 and I like the Cray neck a lot, but I love the soft V of the Clapton and Vaughan necks and I also prefer a maple fretboard.

Your thinking is not foreign to me! But I think I'll keep those impulses under control with this guitar anyway.

19. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    The expendability/playability calculation you describe, is almost in perfect balance, with a used CV. If the neck wasn't quite so skinny, I'd have bought one, ages ago.

20. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

Apr 5, 2010
    Evergreen, CO
    HNGD, it looks great!

My impression was that he was upgrading a MIM Standard to get it similar to a CV, which would have been half the cost had he just started there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.