Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD & Removing Protective Film

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by klkampman, Jun 13, 2018.

1. klkampman

klkampman Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2016
    US
    Hey guys. I just brought home a 60s Classic Series Strat in nitro lacquer. Woohoo!
    I was wondering how you all remove the protective film from the pickguard and other parts. Is there more than one way to skin a cat in this case? I am not quite ready to take the screws out and start messing with it in that way but I want the plastic off because duh, and it's also wrinkled and peeling off anyway. I had a 72 Custom RI Tele (with 16+ screws) for at least 10 years before I got all the tiny bits out of the switch nut and screw threads.

2. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    First off, pics. Must. have. pics.

Second, I've always pulled up the film on one of the corners and slowly pulled it off. Under the strings is the trickiest part, but it can totally be done without removing anything else. Take your time with it and enjoy the satisfying feeling that can only come from slowly removing the plastic film.

Good luck! Oh yeah...

[​IMG]

AAT65, klkampman and coreytree like this.

3. klkampman

klkampman Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2016
    US
    I will post pics as soon as I get this wrinkly eye sore off my pickguard!
    I'm not really into Strats, or so I thought. While on a trip to my hometown I toured the Guitar Centers they built while I was away. We don't have anything like that near where I live now. I picked it out without any online research, forum browsing, reviews, or specifications scrutinty. It felt good. It sounded amazing. Tones I cannot get with any other guitar I have. I feel like I entered a new chapter in life. Making decisions maturely, based on what sounds best rather than looks, opinions, or other influences. My biggest thing with Strats is everyone has one, (now I know why) but I always liked to be a little different. They seemed boring and common. My love of Teles started the same way so I'm not surprised. At first ugly, misunderstood, and despised to outright love and loyalty. I did get a 72 Custom though because they were not a "common, normal, boring" Tele. Anyways, pics soon!

Nubs likes this.

4. dbickford

dbickford Tele-Afflicted

Jan 24, 2012
    Morgan, Vermont
    Loosen each pickguard screw a turn or two, then slowly peel it off. Then tighten the screws. This prevents those little pieces of torn plastic around the screws.

5. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    Leave it on!

You don't know how much mojo you are stripping off and throwing away! :p

nojazzhere and Pointmonger like this.

6. EspyHop

EspyHop TDPRI Member

May 28, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    It won’t be in original condition if you remove it.

nojazzhere and Larmo63 like this.

7. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Holic

Feb 1, 2018
    San Clemente, Ca
    Just pull it off.

Don't be a pu**y.

8. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Meister

May 20, 2018
    Arcata
    The pickguard film will bubble and look like a** if left on. Other musicians also might snicker like when you see someone with the price tag still on their shirt.

It's yours now, enjoy!

klkampman likes this.

9. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA
    Yank it off..........................

10. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    Just pull it off.

It's easier than a divorce in Texas.

Really;
    Just peel off one edge, pull it up and off, and then everything will be right with the world.
    ;)

jannodude likes this.

11. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    It'll burn off quite easily...........................

5mile likes this.

12. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Take it off - but be careful / take your time. Don't do what my mate did; use a pair of metal tweezers to get under the strings and put a deep scratch on the chrome pick up cover (on his new Les Paul) when they slipped.

13. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    How can this be an issue? Just rip if off and play the darn thing. :)

brookdalebill and boredguy6060 like this.

14. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I once saw a guy at a blues jam play a brand new AVRI 52 with the price tag still on the headstock. He was only about 16 by the looks of him. But he was also waaaay better than me. So I declined to mock him.

telemnemonics and nojazzhere like this.

15. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    I gotta get in on this one, 'cause I recently had to do it - twice!

Firstly, I always restring with D'Addario EXL110's, which makes this much easier.

Secondly, I do what dbickford does, which is to unscrew the pickguard screws a few turns, then peel away; this method leaves no plastic remnants peeking out under the screws, but...

For me, the neck pickup screws are the "fly in the ointment". I can never seem to get the plastic film to slip off those pickup screws in one piece! It always takes an X-acto knife to cut away the plastic that remains around the screws.

Am I missing something? I don't loosen the pickup screws because I fear dropping the pickup and having to remove the 'guard!

My $.02.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    richey88 likes this.

16. Crobbins

Crobbins Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.

17. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I recall someone here posting a question about how dull-looking and easily scratched his pickguard was after only a few weeks of playing.

Turned out, he hadn't peeled the plastic off yet.

AAT65 and nojazzhere like this.

18. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Fire works well.

19. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    That’s two for the blow lamp solution then!

20. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Yep - this. I did it when I changed my strings. I saved the plastic, just in case I sell it later, and some idiot on Craigslist wants the original plastic or it's not worth "50% less" and they don't lowball me. :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, I removed it carefully, stuck it to a sheet of paper, and filed it with the other paperwork. I have no idea why - I just did.

boredguy6060 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.