NGD redo

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Beech Creek Gary, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Beech Creek Gary

Beech Creek Gary TDPRI Member

I bought a Player series Tele with the bent steel saddles a few months ago shortly after they were announced. Being an Epiphone Les Paul guy, this was my first venture with a Fender. After reading about the saddle issue on this forum I took the Tele to Campbell's Morrell Music in Johnson City, TN to see about getting the saddles replaced under warranty. It wasn't that simple, it was determined that the entire guitar had to be replaced. The replacement came about a week ago & I'm still trying to get used to it. The first guitar didn't sound all that great but for some reason this one sounds a lot better. There was an issue with the 6E string intonation being sharp at the 12th fret & I managed to get that sorted out. This evening I was taking a close look at the bridge and noticed that the D, B, G, & E strings weren't centered over the bridge P U pole pieces. Is seems that whoever set the saddle height at the factory only used one screw to set the height causing the saddles to lean toward one side. Once I leveled up the saddles the strings centered up where they belong. Fender recommends 4/64" (1/16") height at the 17th fret so I used a 1/16" hex key as a guage to get there.
    The guitar sounds good but I'm not crazy about the single coil sound. As far as Tele twang goes, I'm not hearing it . I didn't hear it in the first one either. I'll give it a chance but I'm already thinking about a PU change out to DiMarzio Area T neck and Chopper T bridge pick ups which are really humbuckers squeezed down to single coil size. Or maybe I convert it to an Esquire. We'll see.

2. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Give it some time, you'll find the twang.

RoCkstAr256 and StrangerNY like this.
  3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'd get the guitar a proper setup. Including adjustment of pickup heights. Twang is a subjective term, but I think a common definition is an example of Luther Perkins playing on the low strings with his Esquire. So, use your bridge pickup, and work the attack on the low strings, down by the nut. Should be able to get some twang...

But about the pickups, I'm not sure what that guitar comes with, but vintage twangy pickups are low output, and often set quite low, far from the strings. I usually back the neck pickup down the the pickguard, or very nearly, until it starts sounding 'bad'. Then, raise it up just enough to sound sweet again. Adjust bridge so middle position sounds right. That's my way, I'm sure there are others, and Fender will provide numbers, but... I like my ear better for this.

As said, give it some time. If your head is in humbucker land, it may take a while to adjust to what sounds 'right' in your self.

4. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones Tele-Meister

Everybody wants the twang.:) My previous guitar, a MIM Std, sounded too beefy for me and not very twangy. But from what I've seen and heard, the new Player series pickups should be more twangy. I think a different set of (more twangy, like a set of Fender Original Vintage) pups could solve your problem. But a proper setup might do the trick. Also I find myself playing my Tele in a different way than I used play my LP copy and my Strats. I just play my Tele in a more twangy way. Does that make any sense? Good luck with finding your twang!

5. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Holic

Am Asking, where are photos ?

Crobbins likes this.
  6. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Set up!

7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Lower the bridge pickup (just not so far it falls off the screw adjusters), maybe the top of the bobbin 1/8th inch above the bridge plate. You can raise it later.

Take your right hand off the saddle/palm muting LP position and put the side of your hand behind the bridge plate on the body -- so you are picking practically right on top of the bridge pickup or even between the bridge and saddles.

Pick with a little 'lift' on the string rather than across it.

Set the amp and pedals for a combination of amounts of your Compressor>Delay>Reverb chain.

Try that for a bit and watch Bill Kirchen plays "everybody's tone" on a Tele.
    Knobs are twirling, switch is flipping, and picking is all over from the saddles to the fretboard.

moosie likes this.
  8. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Don’t forget the effect of the traditional ashtray three saddle bridge. IME, this contributes greatly to that Tele twang. Just be careful what you wish for.

9. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Twang also comes from a picking technique (in my experience). My Tele normally does not twang, but if I pick aggressively right over or behind the bridge pickup, it will.

Maybe I just don't have my Tele set up for twang, but that is how I get it.

Oh - and others have mentioned a good setup may be in order - maybe you did that already, but it sounds like a few adjustments may be in order.

10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Well, that's debatable. I love the bridge, but here's Luther Perkins more or less defining twang on that newfangled Jazzmaster. (EDIT: that's a Jaguar, but the clip prior is a JM - both twangy!)

2:35

8barlouie likes this.
  11. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

See, that’s where the ymmv thing comes into play. Yes, the Jazzmaster sounds twangy, but not as much as the Teles he’s playing. It also has more beef and the bottom end balances out the tone beautifully. I’ve never played a Jazzmaster, but that video gives me food for gas, I mean thought.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.