Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD; Protone Thinline in Red

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by robt57, Sep 21, 2017.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    ProToneThinline.jpg Unexpected; Original Owner late 90s so he claimed. Will check SN.

Traded it for an amp I had 320.00 into. Always liked these, and harder to come by than they once were for dirt back in the day. This one Good to VGC. Not bog on gold hardware, but it is what it is. Nice Graphite Saddles and new CTS 500k pots, not my choice, CTS anyway. Small pole magnet pickup in the bridge, like! Neck PU is OK. May put 250k POTS back in it.

The usual neck pocket cracks, albeit smaller than my Lite Ash has. It is ASH so the weight of 7.4lb even hollowed seems Ok, yes?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    brookdalebill likes this.

2. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 13, 2011
    Southcentral Pa
    Looks rather tasty! I bet some 250k pots would help things along...

boris bubbanov likes this.

3. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    There's gold hardware on that?

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

5. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Yes

6. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice deal!

Substitute some 250K pots and some other block saddles and you're in great shape. Maybe the nut.

8. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Reminds me, I've got one sitting in the closet I need to put on Reverb...

9. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I have enough others setup the ways I like. I decided to live with it as is and see how I like it. I do tend to pull tone circuits outta my Teles, or at least have a switching option to take them outta circuit. So I am actually using the tone knob where as on a 25Ok Tele I leave it wide open mostly. So sits 2/3s instead of wide open being really about range anyway.

So the 500k Pots are not 'so' bright as to my liking. It is bright though, still messing with neck PU height as the original owner had it down low and the bass side buried. I already raised it even and up as much as the compression material would allow have been so compressed for so long. May just ad some material and get it up the way I lean to make sure I like the PU, which so far I do not. The bridge PU I actually like...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

10. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Little update: Much better w/neck PU raised up and the bridge PU lowered a bit VS how the orig liked it setup. Intonation perfect, so the tech he had put on the saddles and put the POTs in seems to have done good work. I am guessing metal saddles with the 500k POTs would be way bright even for me.. ;)

Impedance at the jack is 7.25 Neck and 6.73 Bridge, is that typical for these anyone know. That is nice area for a twangy Tele from my experience. That and the maple neck, this is a good normal sound Tele to my ear. My fav Teles here are Rosewood fretboard, #1 a fat Warmoth rosewood with stainless frets. #1 also a Vari-tone and no normal tone circuit. I know Vari 'tone' IS a tone circuit, but my use is for less subtle effects than diddling the 'normal' tone circuit. ;)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.