Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD or not - I must decide

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Guran, Oct 13, 2017 at 8:15 AM.

1. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    So I have a (hardly) used Epiphone LP Standard Pro on loan since yesterday, to decide wheather to buy it or not. I played it a lot yesterday, but still have some trouble deciding. I'd say it's mint condition. It looks good, though there are other color alternatives that I would prefer. I think this is Honey burst.

Like most guitars, the nut is way too high and will need some work. Too bad I can't do that before I decide. I intonated it yesterday, but that's about as far as I would go.

The neck profile is, at least for now, slightly uncomfortable. Maybe I could get used to that.

It sounds fantastic! Sonically it fills a hole in my arsenal. The humbucker hole. It still twangs if you like to. The pots have a great taper. It feel very solid while being pretty light for a LP. I suppose around 8 lbs.

When I think about... It's 300 bucks... If I don't like it I can't loose much, can I? :rolleyes:

2. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    No, and that's my favorite color.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    You prolly oughta keep that. ;)

pondcaster likes this.

4. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    After work I'll take to the rehearsal space and give it a run through the Marshall... That should convince me, uh?

Piggy Stu likes this.

5. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

This would be a deal breaker for me. I can usually tell in the first minute if i'm going to buy or not.

hdvades and Piggy Stu like this.

6. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    Keyword right now is "slightly". It could also be the high nut that fools me.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    That misfit neck ... no. I tried that before and such a guitar does not get played much.
    You may be trying too hard to convince yourself of it.

What are your other guitars and can you put a humbucker in one or change the wiring for series mode?
    I put 4-way switches in my player Teles and the Dan Armstrong Blender Mod in my player Strats so I have a humbucker tone at hand anytime I want. I tend to mod my player LPs to give me single coils. Find out which pickups are in this guitar, if you can measure their kohms and the volume pot kohms and write that down for the search.

I wouldn't force it. There will eventually be the perfect LP for you.

Piggy Stu likes this.

8. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    You're gonna buy it! :D

9. Recce

Recce Tele-Meister

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    With your misgivings I say no and wait for one that better fits what you want.

10. tery

tery Friend of Leo's

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    If you don't Know ... No .

Piggy Stu likes this.

11. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    I played about 20 lps before finding the best for me, and would recommend anyone else also spend the time doing it

I never found an Epi pro to be anything but good vfm, but you have to try a lot to know which is right for you. Some have such different pickups I would pay double

12. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    My no. ones are a Gibby SC LP Jr and a 8502 Tele.

My no. twos are a Epi DC LPJr and a Squier Std Tele.

The I have a vintage Hagström Viking and an Aria Pro II PE-460. That Aria has humbuckers but lacks in many other ways. I bought it fo $20 back in 1990, the neck in two pieces and the body severly cracked. I bought it to learn repairs on. Now the problem is the very skinny neck and that it has master vol and tone. I wan't individual controls. It doesn't have the PAF:ish twang either.

I have a four way in the Squier. Sure, it sounds kind of humbuckerish, but not like the bridge pickup of a LP. Nor like the neck pickup. Or the both position...

13. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    I understand what you're saying, BUT if I wen't by that I wouldn't have bought many things in life... I always question myself through and through before I buy something. I'm always agonizing before a purchase but I'm very seldom disappointed afterwards.

tery likes this.

14. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    With one single (though very good music store) within an hour, to play though 20 LPs would take me... Five years?

I think, if I find a better one down the road, so be it. If I loose 50 or 100 bucks over a few years, so be it.

Btw, I think the pickups were very, very good on this one.

15. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    You are not risking to lose too much, but I'd consider the neck first, because it is the only thing you can't easily mod.

When I hold a neck that's made for me, I know it instantly. But some necks are not so comfortable but may be good for a specific style of playing, like for fingerpicking or shredding, or rythm you might want something different. It's up to you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.