Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD offset

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by fasteddie42, Jul 21, 2018.

1. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2016
    Tip of the Mitt
    I love me some squiers with quartersawn flame maple necks ;p

Picked this up on a whim. Planned on cannibalizing it for a partscaster. Turned out to be a pretty sweet player as is. I may still end up putting it back together with a nice sunburst body with traditional pickups and tremelo placement down the line, but I'm in no hurry.

Weighs in at 8.6 pounds, one pound heavier than both my tele and strat. Doesn't seem too bad.

I was surprised by how big the jazzmaster body is, always seemed smaller in my mind.

Dang. What. A. Nice. Neck.

Satin, sort of beefy, great figure.

The P90s are cool. Seem warmer/mellower/softer than my other single coils, less sharp highs. Electronics are pretty meh, I imagine a cap or pot change would widen the usable frequency range.

When driven these pickups sounds super knarly, pure rock and roll.

Fit and finish is really nice. These dang squiers leave very little to be desired from the more expensive offerings they're based on. 20180721_131249.jpg 20180721_131306.jpg 20180721_131323.jpg

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Congrats, that is a beautiful neck. I bought a JMJM neck to get that beef, but it’s still short of what I’d prefer. This one looks like much closer to an inch.

3. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 19, 2017
    Chattanooga
    I need one of those for my collection. Congratulations.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I keep watching for a beat up abused offset for a low price that I can bring back but offsets seem to be more widely demanded and hoarded than even Telecasters. The new MIM one I tried had a neck that felt too much like a Strat and I wanted more chunk to the neck. Looks like you have a good one.

Just to clarify, those look more like Jazzmaster pickups not P90s (shape and the screw mount ears give that away). Completely different animals. Regular Jazzmaster pickups will have low winds in a larger rectangular area and thin height while P90s will be high winds in a wide but more narrow bobbin and deeper into the body. JM is around a 7-8kohm while P90s hit 9,10,11kohm. A JMJM may have higher winds due to the signature demands.

fantastic looking neck on that.

fasteddie42 likes this.
  6. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2017
    USA
    Congrats! That’s wicked. Don’t change a thing.

7. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2016
    Tip of the Mitt
    I only echoed the term "p90's" from the posts I read about this model.

Almost all references to these specific pickups seem to be "p90s".

Idk if they truly are or if they just resemble the sound and it was a mis appropriated term slapped on or what.

8. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2016
    Tip of the Mitt
    This Neck has me seriously think about deglossing my cv50s strat and cvc tele.

I'm reeaally digging the satin feel.

9. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    That neck is wicked!

10. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2016
    Tip of the Mitt

Some even go as far to say that they are p90s under jm pickup covers.

BorderRadio likes this.
  11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Pretty much, screw pole screws, bar magnets, these aren’t JM single coils.

12. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2003
    The JMJM (J. Mascis JazzMaster) is waàáãy up on my Next-to-Buy list. I’mma gonna swap the pickguard for tortoise and ummm ... yeah, that’s about it!

13. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2016
    Tip of the Mitt
    welp...

something wasn't quite right with this fiddle. Took me a couple weeks of tinkering and ordering of a notched straight edge to figure out that the neck has a gnarly twist :( ..

reverb was good about it, just got notification of my refund.

too bad.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.