Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

NGD Modern Player Thinline Custom w/P90's

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Lewddude, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Lewddude

Lewddude TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Germantown NY
    All I can say is wow! What a monster! I have been playing for 25 years and have, and have had, all kinds of monster guitars. From Vintage to custom shops! IMHO the only thing wrong with this guitar is it's made in China! That's silly, I know, but it's a life time of conditioning! But that's my own problem! This guitar was fit right from the box! I fell in love with it's good looks first, then noticed the form! PERFECT!!! I got the trans black. I have a vintage '72 thinline and the blade selector is always in my way! I always hit it and get that lovely "pop" through the amp...lol I have always been a fan of the '74 Custom layout like my les paul!!! Now this MONSTER combo of a thinline custom WITH P90's is just soooo exciting! This guitar is sooooo light! I feel every vibration in the neck and the body! I still can't believe I only paid $399 for it, oh yeah, it's made in CHINA!!! argh! The P90's are ok, but I am gonna throw some Lollar P90's in it and swap the pots out, and even with that upgrade I am still under $700 for a guitar that is as much fun to play as it is to look at and hear! I really think this will be one of those revered classics down the road. Trust me, I am not one of those guys who is like "oh, well this is all you really need cuz I can't afford anything else so I want to make myself feel better about my guitar!" kinda guys! LOL I have been a vintage and custom shop snob for decades now! LOL Any way, what a great freakin' guitar!

[​IMG]

2. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Western PA
    congrats...that guitar, in that exact color is on the top of my GAS list right now.

3. Steve G

Steve G Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2005
    LeeK (England)
    Thats great. Have they done something different with the top of the pickguard? Looks good!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. BluesHound

BluesHound Tele-Holic

Dec 4, 2008
    Enfield London England
    Looks great. Enjoy. I do understand what you mean about the MIC thing though. I have a superb Epiphone Nighthawk, and if it said Gibson on the headstock it would probably be my main guitar. Damn my snobbery and prejudice. I should be ashamed of myself. Actually I am, but only a little.:oops:

6. Lewddude

Lewddude TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Germantown NY
    The only thing I can see different is the tab that sticks out by the volume knobs was rounded down a bit more than the traditional thinline pick guard. It's pretty darn close. I think it just looks different because of the Custom layout on a thinline guard! lol

7. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 13, 2004
    Garden City, KS
    Congrats! The only reason I didn't buy one was that the neck was just not quite right for me. Those are really nice guitars.

8. Lewddude

Lewddude TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Germantown NY
    Thank you! and what are you waiting for??? there is a $50 instant rebate from Fender til July 31!!! I used it towards the HSC.

9. Lewddude

Lewddude TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Germantown NY
    Yeah, I have the same snobbery issue! LOL So bad that when my 8 year old son played his first gig I bought him a Gibson Les Paul Gold Top cuz I could not bare to buy the Epiphone....lol Oh well! He loves his Gibby, and he is now gonna be 10 in December and is amazing his friends and family! but this Tele is really that good! Not to get too far off topic here is my 9 year old son playing the lead for walk dont run with his Grandfather on Bass, and I on rhythm. 3 Generations on one stage! :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgGhwWVZ_5Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. InfiniteRhino

InfiniteRhino Tele-Meister

Congrats. I have one of these in the burst finish and LOVE it. I thought I would swap out the stock pups - but it hasn't happened :) Stock it's just fine for me!

11. Lewddude

Lewddude TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Germantown NY
    Hey, don't get me wrong! The stock pups are just fine, but once you get that lollar flavor fever!!! lol They are clearer, fatter, and more responsive than even the Gibson P90's in my Historic Les Paul. So nothing against the stock pups, but my snobbery won't allow it! lol The stock pups will go in the lollar box and put on a shelf.

12. electrablue

electrablue Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 18, 2004
    North Carolina
  13. stephenyi

stephenyi Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2009
    naperville, il
    Congrats! The black finish looks really great in that picture.

14. Lewddude

Lewddude TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Germantown NY
    and it looks even better in person! the picture does not show any of the depth this color combo has!

15. Hoodster

Hoodster Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2007
    Oregon
    That's the first picture of that finish I have seen that looks really nice -- congrats.

The inevitable question: "What are the necks like on these?"

16. stephenyi

stephenyi Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2009
    naperville, il
    The necks are pretty thin. Comparable to the Squier CV tele line.

17. Lewddude

Lewddude TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Germantown NY
    True it is thin! but it feels good! very smooth around the edges, and the yellow tint makes it sexy! LOL

18. decsnspace

decsnspace Tele-Meister

Aug 2, 2011
    St Petersburg
    Bummer to hear about the neck on this guitar... If the neck was even slightly thicker than the CV line, I'd be very hard pressed to pass on this one. Looks really amazing in this finish.

19. Lewddude

Lewddude TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Germantown NY
    I have to tell ya guys, the more time I spend with this guitar the more I fall in love with it! I was all set to swap the pups for lollars, and I am really starting to think I am gonna just leave it alone! I spent 3 hours tonight plugged into my tube screamer into my '65 princeton reverb, and it needs NOTHING! I can't believe what is coming out of this Made In China guitar! Ugh! I am in complete disbelief!!! How is this possible??? I am gonna make a video so you can hear for yourselves!!!

20. tape

tape Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2010
    Boston, MA
    I got the 3TSB version about a month ago -- love it. Plays and sounds great. One of the true steals in the Fender line.

21. stinkey

stinkey Tele-Afflicted

Apr 4, 2010
    malmö sweden
    Nice!!
    I've played one in a shop for an hour or so, the best Tele i have ever played. If the piggy band had only let me!!
    But there's food and rent and stupid bills and.........

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.