Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD!!! MJT content...

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by el cheapo, Sep 21, 2017.

1. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 13, 2011
    Southcentral Pa
    This guitar started off as a hot mess, but it turned out pretty good! Guy is asking $350 for it on my local CL stating that he drilled the neck holes wrong, but it holds tune and plays well. Right. I was interested because I knew he had some quality parts. MJT LPB reliced nitro body, reliced Allparts neck, Fender Custom Shop Nocaster pickups, tweed thermometer case, etc., etc. Anyway, I get in touch with him and set up a time to go check it out. He tells me only one other guy was interested in it, and he's from Canada. I wonder why. So I meet him and look at the guitar and it's everything he said it was. I popped the control plate and there were black and white cloth leads coming from the neck, and black and yellow cloth leads from the bridge, just like they're supposed to be. Reliced LPB body looks great. Not too overdone with some nice lacquer checking. Vintage spec neck looks a little yellow for my tastes, but the frets are good enough. I'm interested, but there are issues of course. Neck is misaligned, strings are almost half an inch above the fretboard. High E string is falling off the edge of the neck. Pickguard is crooked, control plate is crooked, intonation isn't even close. This was his first attempt at putting together a guitar, and basically everything he touched he screwed up. I point this stuff out and offer him $325, which he quickly accepts. :cool:

So I get it home and start sorting it out. I take off the horrible mirror pickguard and fill in all the holes he drilled. Same with the control plate. The neck wasn't as bad as I thought. Only one hole was futzed up there. I got everything lined up and drilled new holes, adjusted the pickups and the intonation, and put an aged white PG on there. Not looking too bad! After a fret level, crown and polish the action dropped down there quite low. I plugged her into my amp and those Nocaster pups deliver classic Tele tone in spades! Sounds great clean or dirty, and the vintage spec neck is starting to grow on me. It's lightweight too. Lighter than any of my other Tele's. I like it! Some pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Never had a reliced guitar before. Kind of like having an old pair of comfortable boots that I don't have to worry about too much if I scuff them. :)

2. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Looks pretty damn cool to me. And for that price, a ridiculous steal (as long as it hangs together with those holes....). decent HSC too.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    He chose something like a grand in "parts" to do his first partscaster?

rze99 and grolan1 like this.

4. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Yeah I thought that excessive. But it looks really cool.

5. 68tele

68tele Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2003
    East Northport NY
    Whoa, nice price!

6. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Jealous here.

Piggy Stu likes this.

7. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine

8. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 13, 2011
    Southcentral Pa
    Thanks, I'm liking it too. Comfortably Numb sounds great with this bridge pup! Tuners are reliced too, but I don't see a name on them. Nu-bone nut seems good enough for now. String tree and neck pup cover are pretty shiny though. May have to dull them up a bit.

9. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX

10. William SantAna

William SantAna TDPRI Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Brazil
    Yey it looks great specially for the money, 325 bucks?!
    Nice

11. deejaid

deejaid TDPRI Member

Jun 23, 2011
    California
    Very nice score. I would have jumped on it at that price as well.

12. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 13, 2011
    Southcentral Pa
    I would bet that after he messed it up he got disgusted and just threw it in the closet. Probably sat there until he got tired of hearing his wife ask him what he was going to do with it. I imagine he was glad to get rid of the thing and recoup a little cash in the process. Lucky for me!

13. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC

14. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Oct 10, 2010
    Twangers Medows USA
    Very Cool! Congrats and enjoy!!!!

15. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    Deal of the day here, and a good lesson for me (possibly on the way to my first partscaster): if you don’t know what you are doing, STOOOOOOOP! :D

GuitarsFromMars likes this.

16. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    It looks fantastic - but that's the darkest LPB I've ever seen. Sure it's not another colour?

17. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    Is that CAB or aged LPB?

18. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Holic

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    "Candy Apple Blue" or aged "Lemon Peel Brown" ???

Still, a heckuva nice guitar and at a great price. I love my MJTs, and that one is decked out with some real quality hardware. Good job!

Now will someone explain the 'CAB' and the 'LPB' to me. I'm having a brain block ........

19. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars TDPRI Member

Apr 15, 2017
    ...playing in traffic
    You got that guitar at the right price. Glad it turned out well.

Candy Apple Blue. Lake Placid Blue.

20. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2016
    Australia
    Now there's a guitar I could get behind. I'm very all or nothing on relicing. This one I like. My local shop has a similar butterscotch guitar MJT body, Allparts baseball bat neck, all heavily reliced, looks and feels glorious. I come home to my CV 50s and it just feels like an imposter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.