Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

NGD! MIM Thinline 72 RI

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by psyched, Feb 21, 2012.

1. psyched

psyched Tele-Holic

I already have three teles I've modded the bejeezus out of, figured I was done. But always thought thinlines sure looked pretty... made the mistake yesterday of looking on CL a few hours after someone posted a MIM 72 RI in natural with a tweed case for 500. Did some reading, decided it was a fair price considering it came with the case, looked to be in decent shape. Well, it was, so it followed me home.

The action was a little low and the pickups were too high, and it needed new strings. So it was set-up time. Took it apart, put contact cleaner in the pots, did a level and crown, shimmed the neck toward the headstock end of the pocket, cleaned the body with a rag and some good ol' spit, backed all the screw tips into a small block of paraffin wax before I put everything back together, lowered the pickups by a mile, lubed the nut/string tree/saddles, put new strings on, adjusted the truss and saddles, stretched the stings and retuned a few times... and damn this is a nice player now. I already liked 7.5 radius necks, but with the low action and the vintage frets this baby plays like butter. Definitely happy to have a thinline in my tele family, and digging the difference in the WRHBs after playing nothing but single coils for a good spell.

So yes, picture:

[​IMG]

2. garyd5158

garyd5158 Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like your enjoying a great "mistake". Love the natural look. Happy NGD.

3. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

Congrats, I love mine!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. psyched

psyched Tele-Holic

I like the natural finish a lot more than I thought I would... thinking about throwing a white guard on it, though.

6. dave1z

dave1z TDPRI Member

I never was a fan of the mother-of-toilet-seat look of the pearl guards either. A white one would be much classier and more reserved and would mix better with the natural finish ... imo.

7. ESQUIREoholic

ESQUIREoholic Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful Score!
    REal nice grain on that one.

As far as the Pickguard, if you are thinking of changing it,
    Black looks great on Natural too.
    Look at Tele295's thinline:

[​IMG]

8. Frank B

Frank B Tele-Holic

I love black PGs
    [​IMG]

9. stilesg57

stilesg57 Tele-Holic

Congrats, that one's purdy. I've always loved that thinline+natural+pearloid look -- it was the first Tele I ever really fell for visually.

10. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

I'll take three saddles vs. black scratch plate Alex.

M

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied

I think black is the way to go, also!

Unfortunately, neither Darren Riley nor Allparts have such a thing ready made in their inventory. You may be looking at something that has to be fabricated.

So strange!! Black is simply a no-brainer on a strong ash grained body and that's how these look, for the most part. The Classic Player Thinline '72 Pickguards are different in that they have 4 pots, and I think there's a toggle on the upper left bout.

12. kraigeyroxx

kraigeyroxx Tele-Meister

That is a lovely guitar, would swap the pearl for black tho. Bet it sounds great!

13. twangplank

twangplank Tele-Afflicted

Ok guys. Y'all are simply gonna hafta stop showing all these nice 72 thinlines!!!!!

I just had a ngd and I got gas again!!!!!!

14. psyched

psyched Tele-Holic

Yeah, I realized after the fact that aftermarket pickguards for these are waaaaay less common than I might have suspected... I wish Darren Riley did stock one, I'm local to his store...

Also thinking about dropping 500k pots in it, at least to try (what's that gonna run, like $8 or something? big whoop), and maybe some heavy knurled dome knobs for the hell of it. Haven't tried the Fralin mod with the WRHB yet, but will next time I'm due for a string change and I have the thing in pieces...

15. Frank B

Frank B Tele-Holic

As i mentioned in another thread, the 500k pot mod really wakes up the pups.
    It's def worth it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.