Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD MiM standard

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Uncle Daddy, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2015
    Maldon, England
    So I got round to taking a few pics of my new (to me) Mexican Standard. Before going any further, I must explain that I have a love/hate relationship with teles, primarily due to my short fingers. I can barely reach a G7 power chord on a 24" neck, so teles have aways given me problems with the longer scale. I'd buy one, keep it for 6 months and give up in disgust, only to crave another a few weeks later. So far I've stuck to CV Squiers, as I prefer the classic looks, but the skinny CV neck and goopy magnetic gloss and low frets make bending a drag on those models, so I thought of the Mex Standard with the satin neck might be better for me. I scored an unused used one from a guy that bought it as a backup, and promptly set about it.

I must say before going on, that as far as I can tell there's little between the build quality of MIM standard, and the MIC CV Squier. In fact, I might say the neck on the CV is better finished (just not to my preferred shape). I'm not a fan of the modern bridge, so that was the first thing to go, replaced with a Fender 4-hole bridge which is a direct replacement. At the same time I added the 5 screw guard, and remounted the neck pickup. A set of genuine Klusons and some compensated barrels and I'm good to go.

The next real mod will be the pickups. I'm not a fan of the ceramic pups, they're a bit too middy for my taste, so a set of alnicos of some sort will go in. (Any recommendations?) And there it is. The neck feels way better to me than the CV with the modern C profile, and now I have the classic looks that I prefer. It's very light, and plays very well, especially since I dressed and polished the frets.

P1120460.JPG P1120461.JPG P1120462.JPG

2. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

May 6, 2012
    England
    Very nice mate, classic white with black guard, enjoy!

Uncle Daddy likes this.

3. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Nice looking guitar!

I agree with your choice of classic ashtray bridge and split shaft tuners.

As far as pickups are concerned, I have had great results from the Dimarzio Twang King set.

I get compliments on my tone all the time, and considering how much boutique pickups cost, I think they're a bargain.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008A1AYC0/?tag=tdpri-20

4. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    My partscaster Tele, (the one in my avatar), has custom shop '52 reissues, and sound awesome! (bad pic, I know!)
    IMG_0215.JPG

brookdalebill likes this.

5. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2018
    Canada
    Nice White Tele! Should age well.

6. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Expected Player Series :D . Nice one, as for myself ill keep white pickguard

7. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    I'm newer to the Tele world... What is a Standard Telecaster?

The Fender website shows only one Standard, only in black, only with Pau Ferro and only with humbuckers.

Fender now uses Deluxe, Artist, Classic and Player.

Stock, before your mods, what is yours closest to? What year? Do you have before the mods pics?

Thanks.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

9. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2015
    Maldon, England
    The Standard was very recently replaced with the Player.

10. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Nothing wrong with a MIM Telecaster. Worked on one once and it sounded as good as my USA HWY.1.
    Ended up just changing the strings and not ripping off client.
    It's the Squires ( Affinity) I have my doubts about as my local shop salesman told me how many brands were made in China and many made in Surabaya , north east Java, Indonesia. You would be surprised as to the number of brands and names of brands made in in Surabaya. JMO

11. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    But now the Player is 22 frets, 3 screw bridge, etc.

What's the closest to the prior Standard? The Classic 60s? Is that a gloss neck?

12. Bowpickins

Bowpickins TDPRI Member

May 29, 2018
    Somewhere In TX
    Nice guitar! Been playing mine for the last two years. As far as alnico pickups, I could recommend the Seymour Duncan Broadcaster set.
    Happy New Guitar Day!
    Enjoy. :)

Mincer likes this.

13. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Happy NGD - it is going to be a great weekend :cool:

14. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

Apr 5, 2010
    Evergreen, CO
    Looks great, nice work. Congrats!

15. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Tampa Bay Area
    That is a great suggestion. If you want more power in the bridge, go for a Jerry Donahue, but for vintage, just use the Broadcaster.

16. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    You would probably be surprised how many Fender (not just Squier) guitars get made in China (Modern Player) and Indonesia (for instance Jim Adkins Artist series)... At least the Affinity telecaster is now (since 2018) made in Indonesia, not in China anymore. But I would even take a Chinese Affinity over many "clones"/"copies" any day.

The MIM Standard is great though... Congratulations.

17. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.

18. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    A used Standard. The 60s, I assume have Alnico pickups.

19. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I recommend a set of Bill Lawrence Keystones.

20. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    HNGD!

Pickup wise, my 2c are for cavalier lion, Rob is an incredible guy and can really do whatever you want.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.