Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD: Martin 000-15M

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Teletoaster, Feb 14, 2019 at 6:16 AM.

1. Teletoaster

Teletoaster Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2013
    Earth 01
    Finaly a NGD :)

I have been looking at Martins for a long time and finaly found a used one for a reasonable price.

First of all it sounds wonderful. I almost cant believe how much better than almost any acoustic I have played so far. The action needs to be altered tough since the strings are too high for me.

The wood looks (and smells) beautiful. The obly two things I noticed are that I can feel a little unevenness in the body behind the bridge. Is this normal?

Also on the bottom, there is this line that I don‘t see on online pictures of the guitar. Should I be worried?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 at 7:12 AM
  2. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    Congrats. I have a Martin custom 00-15m, great guitar. The seam on the bottom is just that, yours is fine. You may be able to correct the action by tightening the truss rod. Fairly common on Martins.

The bulge behind the bridge, a little is fine, a lot is not. Lets see a picture.

christhee68 likes this.
  3. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jun 18, 2016
    Patterson, NY
    Congrats. A guitar playing buddy and I were talking acoustics recently and when the Martin 15 series came up we both had the same response: Neither of us had ever seen an acoustic guitar that was as consistent in quality as the 15's. Every one we ever picked up all sounded great.

As Stephen2 points out that bulge at the bridge should be checked more carefully.

Enjoy,

G

4. Teletoaster

Teletoaster Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2013
    Earth 01
    Thanks!

I can not say if it is a bulge or just not plain. I also can not really see it but only feel it. Here are some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gabrielle84 and Chunkocaster like this.
  5. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

6. popthree

i should add, nice guitar and congratulations. there are a few local songwriters here that use that same instrument, and theirs all sound very, very good. i bet yours does too.

7. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    Your top is fine. I see you have lot's of saddle left for adjustment too.

8. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

Nov 8, 2012
    SoCal
    Congrats on a fine guitar. The 15 series is a great bargain. If you get a setup be sure to have the tech check the string height at the first fret. Many new guitars have the nut slots cut too high.

9. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2008
    Dixie
    Yeah, lemme pile onto what others've said:
    The Seam is fine and so is the top, from what I can see.
    When/if really bad stuff happens.... it'll be obvious. You won't have to look for it. You'll see it and/or hear it.
    Your guitar looks pristine. Enjoy it !

10. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    One more congratulations on your new guitar, or as I like to say you're now in "hog" heaven.

It all looks good, the truss rod adjustment might not solve all your action problems but that and lowering the saddle will most likely do the trick. Remember you will be giving up volume if you want it to play like an electric.

Now I think a new guitar post should have pics of the whole guitar. To encourage you I'll show off my 2012 0-15M Elderly Instruments 40th Anniversary model. It's tiny but it has a great sound and the long scale neck gives it a little more of everything. Try tuning down to D and hear it rumble.

Maybe stephent2 will show off his 00-15M.

2012_0-15M.jpg

11. popthree

I have a 000 martin and I keep it tuned down a half step all the time. Sounds good like that

12. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Congrats, nice looking guitar, there's plenty of meat left in that saddle to take it down.

13. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had one like that only with a slotted headstock. A nice playing, nice sounding guitar. My son wheedled out of it. I'm a Takamine nut anyway, so it's okay. Maybe he'll learn to play it, and it's something I can play when I visit him.

14. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    I'm starting to get the itch for my first Martin. This is not a good thing.

15. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Meister

Sep 10, 2006
    Franklin, Texas
    Nice guitar.
    I've wanted one of these for years but never got around to buying one. Now they are no longer cheap. Guess I'll just keep playing my Gibson J-50 (2002).

Mark

16. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oct 4, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I've had a 000-15M for the past several years. I love it! It sounds totally different than a guitar with a spruce top.

17. Teletoaster

Teletoaster Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2013
    Earth 01
    Thank you. Yes it does sound amazing!

You think so? I think I will take it to a guitar shop tomorrow and let them take a look at it just to be sure..

Do you have any recommendations for new strings?

18. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    Martins are known for coming with extremely high action. A good set up and you should be fine.

Congrats!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.