Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

NGD- Made in Japan Strat need help in model identity

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by MitchMiami, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Fender ST-57. If it comes with the Texas Special pickups, it should have a TX suffix at the end of the model name.

Oh, and HNGD!

2. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    The serial number is in a feint grey colour and very hard to see without a close up photo. It would be interesting to know what letter it starts with.

I asked Fender consumer relations about my T serial and they said

"Unfortunately, we do not have serial number records for many MIJ instruments. Fender Japan was a separate company from us and did not keep serial number records like we do. I can tell based on this serial number that it is roughly from either 1994-1995 or if it looks newer could be between 2007-2010.

Matt Safranek
    Consumer Relations Representative/Direct Sales
    Fender Musical Instruments Corp.
    17600 N. Perimeter Dr., Ste-100 Scottsdale, AZ, 85255"

As I bought it new and been playing it since January 1996, I probably know more about it than they do. :)

Rough dates are Made in Japan 1982-1996, Crafted in Japan 1995-2006, Made In Japan 2007- but there are some crossovers and oddities just to mess things up.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018

3. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Apr 13, 2014
    If the serial is readable, you can get the year on Fender's site and some others that have serial number decoders.
    beagle likes this.

4. marc2211

marc2211 TDPRI Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Definitely looks like an ST-54 with different pickups. I have one of the 1993 models. Mine has a very thick V neck.

Pickups were often changed as the originals were very authentic and tended to sound thin to modern ears. (I have the originals and you can’t really use the bridge as it’s too icy pick like)

Fantastic guitar, looks like you got a great price too - they go for 1000chf/usd here and are highly in demand!

5. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted

May 19, 2003
    San Francisco Bay Area
    You got a great guitar at a great price. Congrats!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.