Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

NGD- Made in Japan Strat need help in model identity

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by MitchMiami, Mar 8, 2018.

1. MitchMiami

MitchMiami TDPRI Member

Mar 11, 2015
    Weston, Florida
    Hello everybody while I am trying to sell off more than I buy to downsize my better half and myself are always gassing, I play guitar, bass, some trumpet, coronet, and a little piano, she is a great keyboard player and is getting more and more into guitar, we both have GAS most of the time now. The other day we were browsing in one of our favorite mom and pop music store and found this Japanese Stratocaster. It looks fantastic to us and it absolutely spoke to her. She loved the way it looked and played, after negotiations I got it for her for what I consider a song, a little less than $300.00. The salesman said it was some kind of a tribute model, a 1957 or 1962 reissue.
    I really didn’t care because my lady loved it but now I’m curious what it is. It has noiseless pickups and here are the photos. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance IMG_0557.JPG IMG_0561.JPG IMG_0567.JPG IMG_0558.JPG IMG_0565.JPG IMG_0566.JPG

2. Sooper8

Sooper8 Tele-Holic

May 24, 2011
    UK- Midlands
    Yes, great looking and playing guitar - that is a superb price, congratulations.

My son has one; if i can find pictures , I will post up. It plays so smooth, it's beautiful.

Yours looks in great condition too!

3. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    57 reissue, I got one. Nice guitars. Want another seeing this .
    nojazzhere likes this.

4. MitchMiami

MitchMiami TDPRI Member

Mar 11, 2015
    Weston, Florida
    Thank you very much

5. ab2012

ab2012 Tele-Meister

Jun 3, 2007
    new jersey
    Beautiful guitar. With the round string tree that is usually classified as a 54 model.
    Iago likes this.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

7. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    I think the 'Made in Japan' sticker means it's fairly old, as they switched to 'Crafted in Japan' in the mid nineties. But they wouldn't have come with noiseless pickups back in the MIJ days, as far as I know. It's worth checking the date via the serial number.

If it is a late 80s/early90s MIJ it's an absolute steal at that price. I played an '87 54 reissue back in 1990 and fell in love with it but couldn't afford it. I've wanted one ever since but they very rarely come up for sale and when they do they ain't cheap.

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    SWEET....every Made In Japan Fender I've ever played was nice, even my 1983 MIJ Squier Strat. It has the large "Squier" logo, with the "by Fender" decal at the "bulb" of the headstock. Over the years, people have sneered at the Squier label, until they played it. A number of people have wanted to buy it, but I wouldn't sell. I also had a MIJ Fender Strat, (not Squier) similar to yours, only a three-tone burst. Excellent, but I ended up selling it 'cause I don't need two Strats. (don't really need ONE) Yours looks pristine....enjoy.
    hrstrat57 likes this.

9. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    If it has a pretty deep V neck it is likely a 54 reissue

I had a MIJ 54 the neck was amazing but all the electronics were sketchy. Replaced em all with USA AVRI pickguard- took 10 minutes.

I eventually parted it out on eBay for big $$$ the V neck is highly sought after.
    MitchMiami likes this.

10. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    There is a green 80’s MIJ jV Squier Stratocaster right now at GC in N Attleboro it’s as good as any strat I’ve ever played. Truly amazing. I can’t add another strat to the quiver at the moment sadly.

11. schmee

schmee Tele-Holic

Jun 2, 2003
    Wow, that's killer looking. Sunburst ash! The Japanese 57 reissue had a V neck and a round string tree too like the old ones.. Wish I ran across that for $300!

12. ab2012

ab2012 Tele-Meister

Jun 3, 2007
    new jersey
    If you are so inclined. You can remove the neck. They usually have stamped on the neck or body what year it represents.
    hrstrat57 likes this.

13. MitchMiami

MitchMiami TDPRI Member

Mar 11, 2015
    Weston, Florida
    Thanks to you and everyone who helped, when I got info that it might be a 57 or 54 I started looking at many pictures online and I want to say I now am fairly certain it is a 54 because, as I was advised above and have since confirmed, the only difference I have noticed in the photos is the 54 has the round string tree and the 57 has the flat wavy string tree.

The vintage pickups I believe were not standard so when I set it up for my girlfriend I will take off the pick guard and look at/photograph the electronics and post pics.

This weekend she is going to play some of my Strats to see what kind and gauge strings to use, for example my 1996 or 1997 Strat duo as I call them a tn7 Jimi Hendrix tribute with 9-42 d’addario nickels & a n6 Strat plus ultra with 11- 49 NYXLs , I also have an American Deluxe, I think it’s a 2012 FSR in Aztec Gold , with 10-46.
    I also have a Mexican 95 with 8’s but I don’t want to deal with changing high e strings all the time. I used to have a 64 Strat that I had to sell for financial reasons in the late 80’s and it just sang with 12’s and wound g string sets.

IMG_0517.JPG IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0001.JPG

14. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Tele-Afflicted

At the heel of the neck, on the back, it will say Made in Japan, or Crafted in Japan, and there is the serial number.
    Check on it here:

Then email Support, include the Serial number (I usually attach a pic of the serial number), and Support will send you back the specification sheet for your guitar, usually in under an hour.
    I have an MIJ TL6s Tele Custom that is an excellent guitar.
    $300 was a steal!

15. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2006
    Kansas City
    NICE! my number one is a 1990 tele custom RI! love me some MIJ from that era, great fit and finish, playability. They can be hard to date, if you pull the neck someday there may be some stamped clues as to the model. Even research online is all over the board.... Doesn't matter, you got a great looking guitar at a steal!

The only drawback for me, especially on the teles, was the PUPs, Pots, and lack of compensated saddles... I gutted mine, slapped in some lollars, new wiring and pots to match, and got some brass compensated saddles. IT's a Monster now. I always felt the stock electronics sounded a bit, well, thin if that can be a description.

16. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    It's an ST54 and a very nice looking one at that.

17. Marlorman

Marlorman NEW MEMBER!

Mar 13, 2018
    Victoria Harbour, Ontario,Canada
    I am suspicious of this guitar. Where is the serial number???
    If it's not on the headstock or underneath the "Made in Japan" logo at the base of the neck, should it not be stamped into the 4 bolt neck plate? It seems to me the neck does not belong to the body. Noiseless pickups not standard issue on MIJ units. I think it's a Partscaster, hence the $300 price tag. Just my 10 cents, FWIW.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018

18. MitchMiami

MitchMiami TDPRI Member

Mar 11, 2015
    Weston, Florida
    The serial number is on the back of the base of the neck, under made in Japan in the correct color and font. I’ll try to get better pics

19. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Wow! What a fantastic find, and a really fantastic price! Beautiful Strat, make some great music with it!

20. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    It looks just like my 1987 MIJ strat, down to the round string tree and everything (except for the color, of course). From what I know, these weren't technically "reissues" of a specific year, but a hybrid with some traits from a '54 and some from a '57 (but still officially a '54 I think). I haven't had the neck off in years, but I think it said something like ST-54 on the neck/pocket. Great guitar for a steal at $300. They often go for almost twice that.

my strat 2.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.