Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD: Les Paul Traditional Pro Goldtop

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by fjrabon, Jul 9, 2018.

1. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    upgraded my tribute goldtop. One of the first run traditionals that was a Guitar Center exclusive to only 100 made. Has had a creamtone wiring harness installed and Suhr S90s.

9lbs flat

Neck is a 57 carve, but very rounded so it’s faster than the slim taper on the tribute goldtop I traded in. Just the perfect example of a big Gibson neck that’s still ultra playable because of the shoulders.

Pretty much dead on for an R6 except the back is cherry instead of natural and it has locking keystone Grovers. Also a Nashville bridge, but I already have a creamtone ABR nickel plated conversion bridge and stop bar and gold bonnet knobs waiting at home to put on. And an amber switch tip.

Plays like a dream. Weight is just PERFECT for a Les Paul.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here he is after changing out the stop bar (lightweight aluminum nickel plated from creamtone), stop bar studs (nickel plated locking from tonepros), bridge (Nashville-> ABR conversion from Creamtone), switch tip (Gibson historic Amber), and knobs (Gibson historic gold bonnets). Sitting in front of my 1969 Super Reverb

[​IMG]

Here he is next to the goldtop tribute I traded in:
    [​IMG]

2. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    She's a...I mean he's a beauty. The only gold guitar I would ever own.

Congrats!

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Congratulations!
    I’m playing my goldtop at this moment!

4. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Fantastic! Just fantastic!

Now, go play her through a Marshall DSL40CR on crunch channel. :D

(Sorry, I’m biased. Just bought one today after hearing my LP Studio through my friend’s DSL40CR...)

bftfender likes this.

5. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Ha, I have a Marshall Origin in addition to the Super Reverb. Slays with both amps.

rich815 likes this.

6. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Call it a he because it’s named for Sean Costello. A good friend and guitar hero of mine taken too soon.

richey88, thunderbyrd and Flaneur like this.

7. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Nice. Real nice. :)

8. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Happy New Goldtop day! I’ve got a thing for Les Paul Goldtops.

The first guitar I ever played was a Les Paul. It was before I was playing guitar and I was so young, I don’t know what finish it had. The first electric I ever played after I started playing guitar was a Les Paul Goldtop. I was 13 years old and it changed my life. I have no idea what year it was but it was 1977 when I played it. It sounded amazing and required zero effort from me to make music.

PhatBoy likes this.

9. Kreepy

Kreepy Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2018
    Maud, Oklahoma
    Pinstripe it like Billy Gibbons!

10. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

Add some pointers on the vol. & treb. controls.

11. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Yeah, the guitar originally came with them, so I guess the previous owner removed them. I ordered some already, but unlike the other stuff I didn’t already have them in my parts bin.

12. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    As much as I adore BFG, the pinstripes can stay as being his thing.

13. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Here’s some mindless sloppy bluesy noodling through the Origin 20C to give you a tonal taste.

richey88 likes this.

14. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Goldtop P90 is definitely on my list of guitars to get. That one looks & sounds excellent! Grats!

fjrabon likes this.

15. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Thanks man. This thing is so good it has me looking around my guitar room and thinking between this, the 335 and the classic lacquer series Tele, do I really need anything else, am I really going to play anything else?

You know a guitar is good when it makes you want to sell other stuff, just because you know everything else is quickly becoming a major downshift.

FenderGyrl, Nubs and Ricky D. like this.

16. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    More eye candy.

The co-captains of the guiteam

[​IMG]

17. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    made my DSL40cr into a head..it is a beast ...

18. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Meister

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    Congrats! I've stopped buying guitars. But if I were to hit the lottery, I'd go out and get a goldtop w/ P90s or mini humbuckers. Always loved the way they look. And some sort of jetglo Ric too. And an old sunburst Gibson acoustic.

fjrabon likes this.

19. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    It’s not old, but I did just get a sunburst J15 not long ago as well.

I love the looks of Rics, but the neck is just an extreme no-go for me.

20. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    That’s the stuff right there.

Mine are a 1981 Ibanez tobacco burst replica of an ES335 that looks very close to your ES335 and instead of a Les Paul, ive got another 1981 Ibanez set-neck maple on mahogany that’s like a double cutaway Les Paul. It’s Arctic White and has changed to a greenie gold colour. It has a baseball bat neck that somehow is extremely comfortable and ridiculously fast. In addition I’ve got a blonde Telecaster and a Strat. Well, there’s always a couple of Strats but I think an ES335, a Les Paul, a Tele and a Strat are a pretty complete set and they don’t look half bad either.

fjrabon likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.