Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD - Les Paul Special - First Impressions

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Peckhammer, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    Just got a 2012 LP special, heritage cherry, with P90s. The non-gloss open pore finish looks kind of cool, and kind of cheap-- especially with light pink color binding which I assume is from heritage cherry dye has bleading into it. Or maybe it happened when polishing.

The guitar has a somewhat cheap feel until you hear it. Wow, these P90s are really good. The odd thing is that the neck is angled, but the body is a slab. The pickups sit parallel to the flat body as the string pass a somewhat steep angle over them as the make their way to the bridge. I think they are set too low.

The neck has an interesting feeling because of the open pores of the mahogany neck. Not sure if I like that or not. The neck appears to have a bow (concave), but there is almost no fret buzz at all. That’s actually amazing because the guitar has lower action than any guitar I own. 2/32" on the bass side, less than 3/64" on the treble side. I've heard that Gibson uses a curved truss rod that applies relief between the nut and the 12th fret. Not sure if that is true, but it might account for what I am seeing, in comparison to the way my Fenders look. Despite feeling a little cheap, I played it for 3 hours last night and it is a pretty amazing sounding guitar.

Anyone have one? What do you think of them?

IMG_4738.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I've played a Gibson with that kind of satin finish/lack of finish or whatever you call it, and have an Epiphone with a similar type of thing.

The Gibson felt much better when I played it, and I hated how my Epiphone's neck felt, but after a couple of years the neck feels much better. That kind of finish smooths out after you play it a lot, if that makes sense.

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I have a Walnut 2012 Special (P90) and a TV Yellow 2012 Special (Humbuckers). Your special has the Faded style finish that was occasionally done for Guitar Center when then would have big sales. I remember the Brookfield store selling LP Studio Faded models in your red or brown for $600 with hard case and they sold a pallet of Les Pauls that weekend. I like the Faded guitars. I have an SG Standard and an SG Faded that I gigged. I love the feel of the woodgrain (I love mahogany). I feel the same way when I play my Martin 15's.....the woodgrain against my hands makes that guitar feel like an "honest" wooden guitar. I think your guitar looks great. I'm, assuming that you have neck binding?? That's a nice looking guitar.

My 2012's....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I hope that you enjoy it. I love Gibson Specials. When they're new they are a lot of "Made in the USA" guitar for under $1000. The used deals can be fantastic to search for and find. Congratulations.

markjames likes this.

4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    I had a 2012 Jr. Special in black that I got from GC during their blowout sale for 499. Had to try 8-10 of them, but the one I got was amazing.

As a rule, all Gibsons have a neck angle which varies from model to model, with this model being one of the flattest.

I only sold mine because I picked up a 2016 SG Standard p90, that side by side, was better sounding. More clarity, depth and high end. I can't afford to have two of the 'same' style guitar sitting around, so I sold the 2012. If I come across a good deal when I have a bit more coin, I would re-buy in a second.

5. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    I had a Gibson Les Paul special Double cutaway in Faded TV yellow.Bought it used. It was a bit beat up, but I got it cheap. It sounded great and I loved it off and on for a few years.
    However, I never could get along with the tactile feel of the faded finish. I eventually sanded the finish from the back of the neck with OOO steel wool and then re-finished the bare wood with a dozen coats of Tru Oil. That made it slick as glass.
    I sold it after a while, but no discredit to the guitar... One day I'd like to have a Jr.

Peckhammer likes this.

6. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    I have a 2012 Jr in satin white. In some ways it feels cheap, in others it's just great. The fret ends were very poorly dressed and the finish is cheap. Besides that, playability is great and the the tone... If you want a snarling, biting guitar for dirty rock'n'roll, it will be hard to find anything better.

Despite the cheap feel it's my number one (shared duty).

Peckhammer likes this.

7. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2012
    east side
    I have a 2011 HC special with glossy finish. It's has a nice playing neck one of my favorite Gibson guitars. But i don't play any of them that much Fender has always been my favorite pick me up and play me.

8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Congrats and enjoy. It reminds me of an SG Special with, of course, the Les Paul body shape.

p2_uqarflmgf_ss.jpg

I'll bet you can get some great Carlos at Woodstock sounds/tones with it.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

10. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    I am considering shooting the neck and head stock with gloss nitro. That mat finish headstock is a crime. And yeah, it a great sounding rock guitar.

I have wanted a Jr. forever. I found a great substitute in the Reverend Sensei Jr. — the bass roll-off pot gives even more tonal options to a one pickup guitar.

11. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    I’ve been playing mine every night since getting it. I do wish it was properly finished, but in some ways that cheap gritty finish is liberating. I absolutely do not care what happens to it as long as it continues to sound good.

I bought this one with the intension to take the Lollar Goldfoils out of my Reverend Daredevil and stick them in the LP. Once I heard those P90s, that plan faded quick.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.