Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

[NGD] Just finished my "Twangblaster"

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by cdwillis, Jun 24, 2017.

1. cdwillis

cdwillis Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I've wanted a tele with a neck humbucker for a long time. It always seemed like a cool idea and I finally pulled the trigger and bought parts to put my own together.

It's an Allparts TMNF-Fat neck with the finish on the back sanded off then Tru Oil applied, no name vintage Kluson style tuners and a bone nut. Warmoth Tele alder body with a Minwax Golden Oak stain applied, then finished with a few thin coats of Minwax Wipe On Poly. Wilkinson licensed bridge with the three compensated brass saddles. The bridge pickup is a Cavalier Nocaster and the neck pickup is a Zhangbucker Telebucker 3. Standard three way switch with 250k volume and tone controls. I think I'm going to add a resistor so that the humbucker sees 500k and the bridge still sees 250k pot values. The neck is a little too warm, but with the pickups set at the current height they match in output.

Finished pic first:

IMG_4037.jpg

I had them route out the middle position for a humbucker in case I wanted to experiment with pickups later:

IMG_3943.jpg

After staining (it's still wet here):

IMG_3954.jpg

The neck is really comfortable despite being an inch thick:

IMG_3981.jpg

Slightly washed out pics of the finished front and back, hard to get a decent pic:

IMG_4008.jpg

IMG_4009.jpg

I accidentally ordered a three hole Brent Mason style control plate. I thought about using a two volume one tone setup, but my full size CTS pots wouldn't fit next to each other on the plate. So I plan on putting a standard two hole plate on, switching to chrome flat top knobs, getting a black 50s style top hat switch tip (the strat switch tip I had wouldn't fit), and putting a chrome cover on the humbucker for aesthetics.

IMG_4038.jpg

kleydejong and AAT65 like this.

2. AAT65

AAT65 Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Looks good!
    What value did you use for the volume pot?

3. cdwillis

cdwillis Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I used 250k pots for both volume and tone with a .047 cap for the tone. I have a 500k CTS pot in my parts drawer that I might try out. Thing is the bridge pickup sounds amazing with this setup, so I'm hesitant to mess with it.

4. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Holic

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Cool stuff. That Golden Oak minwax bought out some nice features in the wood. Good job.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.