Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD - Jazzmaster!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by moosie, Oct 17, 2017.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I just got a 2016 Wildwood Thinskin AV '65. It arrives in two days. Here's a seller's photo:

Full body.jpg

I've been dreaming about a Fender in Aztec Gold for a couple years now. I thought it would be a double-bound Tele, but this is even more appropriate somehow – with a matching headstock, too!

The bridge and arm have been upgraded to a Staytrem, which seems to be on par, but slightly different to, the Mastery.

I can't wait to hear this clean, through my SF Super...

For those who can remember as far back as a whole week, this is embarrassing. I posted how I didn't need anything. I was all set, and pleased with what I owned. Well, for the record, my wife got hold of my account. Yep, that's what happened. :rolleyes::lol:

This is my first JM. All you experts, what do I need to know?

2. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    Beautiful!!! Congrats! Love my JM!!

dr_tom and moosie like this.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Cool!
    I dig the bound neck!

moosie likes this.

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Congrats! I've been GASing for an Inca Silver or Ocean Turq for awhile. See if you can deal with 1Meg pots first, and if you can't then go 250k. I use 500k audio taper: still gets that JM sound I crave. Neck looks shimmed from the pic, so seems like you're all set up...

moosie likes this.

5. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Congrats! very, very cool - first musical group I was part of, 1968, the lead guitar player had a sunburst jazzmaster. this model has "American Vintage '65 Jazzmaster pickups? You like?

dr_tom and moosie like this.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Awesome. Now all you need is ...

[​IMG]

7. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I take it from the comment that neck shims are more common than not on JMs. Is this because of the saddle heights, like the reason we'd shim a Tele? Or is it to apply more break across said saddles?

1M pots? Ooh, I'll have to see. Hated them in a Thinline, but maybe it sounds OK with these pickups...

Looks like I'm in for a new learning experience here...

8. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    :lol::lol::lol:

9. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I don't have the guitar yet. Nother couple days...

10. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    I have the Squire J Mascis JM, so this comment will have limited relevance. But I can say that it's a great guitar--even apart from what a fantastic deal it is for the money. Versatile as could be, fine neck, love the trem system. I find all Jazzmasters gooney-bird ugly--I mean, just UGLY. I also find Mattel toy-like switches and what-the-hell? wheels on a guitar to be weird. But I just love all the different tones the JM provides. If I had, really had, to pick just one electric guitar to cover every possible basis, it would probably be the JM. And I don't play a lick of surf.

Congrats, and enjoy!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017

11. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, shims on vintage or vintage-style models should be standard. The point of shims on JMs are to increase the break angle of the strings over the saddle. Don't go too far though, as you want the strings to clear the bridge plate lip. I like a half to full degree, using full pocket shims (hisss: I know, 'controversial').

They neck sounds splendid with 1megs full open and dialed in properly. But your darker guitars will sound muddy in the same setup. I think of the tone control as a tone control on a pedal--'5' is the good middle to start at, then adjust to taste, extremes are avoided. Goes against guitarists' "take it to 11" mindsets! I won't spoil the fun though, enjoy that thing!

dr_tom, telemnemonics and moosie like this.

12. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    That looks a real beauty. JM not often seen in gold. Coooool. Look forward to your report and your own pics.

Congratulations.

moosie likes this.

13. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Aug 30, 2008
    MI
    Beautiful! HNGD!

moosie likes this.

14. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Awesome man! I have the same guitar, and I love it! Like yours, mine has a staytrem bridge, otherwise stock, as there is nothing else that needs to be changed on the guitar. The 9.5" radius is killer. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine! Here is mine:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017

15. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    ^ Dude, that's gorgeous... I'm a big fan of Ice Blue...

Is yours a WW Thinskin, then? I can't imagine how the normal AV finish could get much thinner.

16. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2012
    east side
    That is a sweet jm i love these uncommon colors on them. The staytrem is a bonus i have one on one of my jaguars. Enjoy it man i would!

moosie likes this.

17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I'm more curious about how a person can tell that from that pic! o_O

moosie likes this.

18. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    The standard Jazzmaster pickup cover is like a Jazz Bass pickup cover, with ‘nibs’ extending outside the main cover for the mounting screws. Moosie’s JM shows these nibs rising over the pickguard (see the lack of shadows compared to the neck pickup?), indicating the bridge pickup is jacked up pretty high. All things being equal, this is usually a good indication of a shim or an angled neck pocket.

telemnemonics, src9000 and moosie like this.

19. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    FWIW, I use a 1 degree shim in my lefty Warmoth Jazzmaster. I had strings popping out of a Mustang bridge until I did that. Mine has Fender PV '65 pickups in it and I concur that neck pickup sounds awesome.

dr_tom, moosie and Peckhammer like this.

20. midnight340

midnight340 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 27, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Congrats!!! I too have the J Mascis Squier, a great guitar in it's own right. But that thing is BEAUTIFUL !!!! Enjoy !!!!

PearlJamNoCode, dr_tom and moosie like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.