Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD Jazzmaster 60s Lacquer!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Matthias, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2011
    Colorado
    :eek:
    You...you have a shell pink Jazzmaster?! I just have one question: Are you looking to adopt, because I kinda want to come and live at your house.

ac15 likes this.

2. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    Wowzer! That looks great with the tort!

The eggshell guard arrived yesterday. It's different to parchment–lighter–but a very definite difference to the stark white. I quite like it. The AVRI mint arrives tomorrow. I'll post pic then alongside a MiM mint and a naturally darkened parchment that came with my Strat.

BorderRadio and ac15 like this.

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    That guitar looks like a piece of peppermint candy and I bet it's just as sweet!

ac15 likes this.

4. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    Some news!

Bad news:

The screw hole pattern and neck pocket are the same, but the AVRI pickguard does NOT fit a 2016 model. The thimbles are too far back and also the MiM pickguard is bigger in places... As I said, the screw holes fit but the upper horn and the lower control bit extend out a bit further on the MiM. This means I had to spend approx 30 minutes filing the thimble holes and that there are a few small marks around the horn cavity edge that were previously hidden by the bigger pickguard. Minor stuff, though. You won't notice them when the thing has a few months of play wear.

Good news:

The mint looks great!

Also, the AVRI trem is a massive upgrade on the MiM one and dropped straight in. Rattles much less. Smoother. Awesome part.

Embarrassing news:

I need to take it apart again tomorrow. Something's loose inside the cavity. I've diagnosed this as one of the star washers falling off inside while I was reassembling and I didn't notice. Oh well...

Pics tomorrow in the daylight!

ac15 likes this.

5. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2011
    Colorado
    I usually like working on my guitars, but my JM is an exception. All that wiring under the pickguard drives me nuts and I almost always have to take it apart again at least once to fix something I missed! Do yourself a favor though, loom together the wiring if you have a few spare minutes. It makes getting the PG back on a lot easier, and there's not a big tangle of wires every time you open it up. I used to use masking tape but it leaves a gross residue, so I just tie every few inches with waxed thread or dental floss.

Oh yeah, and if you take the thimbles out, make sure you've trapped the ground wire when you put it back together! I actually ended up drilling another hole and running mine into the trem cavity, pinching it under the trem plate. Less risk of annoying grounding issues that way.

Matthias likes this.

6. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    Pics!!!

The mint, looking good. This is a pretty guitar. At first, I wasn't sure about the mint but I find going from white to mint takes a little bit of time for your eyes to adjust, like taking your sunglasses off or turning on the big light :)
    IMG_2997.JPG

You can see the neck gap here. Nothing to worry about. 0.5mm at the most. I thought about straightening it a bit but it's rock solid as it is, so I decided to quit whining. Look how nice the rosewood is with a little lemon oil! The dots are a nice parchment colour, too.
    IMG_3008.JPG

If you look above the switch screw, you can see where the slightly smaller cut of the pickguard reveals a slightly uneven bit of finish right on the edge of the cavity. Only noticeable if you angle it to the light. This is covered by the stock guard, as are some marks left in the lacquer by wrinkles in the stock guard's shielding. I put some copper tape on the back of the mint guard.
    IMG_3004.JPG
    I said I wasn't impressed with the MiM trem. The AVRI bridge is better in all ways. The spring is less stiff, the arm fits more snugly in the collet, it's made of better metal, the chrome is less wavy, the arm is curved instead of kinked and it has a working trem lock. I thought I might end up paying a ton of money just for the look of it, but it's a real upgrade.

I'm used to working plastic with small tools from making models, so doing a fairly neat job of filing the pickguard bridge holes wasn't too challenging. Anyhow, it's hard to see under the Japanese Mustang bridge I dropped in. Even though the thimble holes are a little tight, it still rocks.
    IMG_3000.JPG Pickguard comparison! Mint AVRI, the stark white stock guard, Pure Vintage eggshell. Note that the Pure Vintage and AVRI appear to be cut exactly the same, including the 60 degree bevel. Neither will fit the MiM 60s Classic without modification. The eggshell is a bit lighter than Fender US parchment.
    IMG_3007.JPG Now I need to take it apart to get that star washer out!

Oh yeah, here's the before again for reference:
    [​IMG]

Cat – happy to say they did loom everything with tape. The only issue is, it's really tightly done so difficult to work with unless you remove the pickups!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    How much is the AVRI Trem? I might do that on my Jaguar. Having the trem lock would be nice as I recall from the JM I had years ago.

I see that they are around $70.00. I'm also considering a Staytrem arm for smoother operation. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017

8. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    I found one new on eBay for about $70 including the arm. I imported one as in the UK they're super-expensive.

Paul in Colorado likes this.

9. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    A couple of small changes (and a discovery) I thought I'd share. First, a Staytrem bridge, which is great. Secondly, the more recent Classic 60s JMs don't correctly fit an AVRI pickguard. The bridge thimbles are set too far back. As the pickguard has the wide route for the bridge like the Classic Player Special, I theorised that Fender had simply standardised the bodies and pickguards on those two and the Roadworn. I fancied trying a tortoiseshell guard so grabbed a reasonably priced Classic Player guard to try out the look. Lo and behold, it fit fine! I'm digging the look so far... If it stays long enough, I may splash out for a Sims Custom guard as this one's a bit dark.

IMG_5052 (1).jpg IMG_5053 (1).jpg IMG_5054 (1).jpg

Zepfan, BorderRadio and moosie like this.

10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Nice! (Or you could spring for a Spitfire...)

aakpvl51icptdqzqytmy.jpg

Zepfan, BorderRadio and Matthias like this.

11. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    They're so nice! But as I'm in the UK, Sims look to do decent enough material and their costs including origination are really good.

12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Yeah, I was looking at a Spitfire... $200. Ouch.

13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Crazy right? I like the stuff myself, but I bought in early when prices were a little lower. Had to open up the thimble holes a bit like mentioned for Squier and the TVL MIM but no biggie.

There is a guy in Austin that sells good cellulose tort for a lot of popular models, mostly Squier. I bought a couple for my Jag Bass and a Bass VI, sells on ebay under user name twneagle.

moosie likes this.

14. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 8, 2009
    Horsham, UK
    I tuned my Tele down a whole step to D - there's a few songs just that little bit too high for my voice and that drops it in to range. Fits nicely with my lapsteels (open D) and DADGAD shenanigans too. Actually loving the tone from the Tele at D - just takes some getting my head round the revised chord shapes as I change guitars.

My two month old Lacquer JM on the other hand I've kept totally standard even down to the bridge - so far I've had zero problems with it tuning or popping out of the slots.....still loving it.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.