Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD Jazzmaster 60s Lacquer!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Matthias, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    I've wanted a Jazzmaster for about 20 years but never bought one. Even when the Squiers came out, I waited because I still had a real Fender on the list.

Well, now I have one! I'm in the process of thinning the herd and I've got/getting rid of three and gained this. I played it a few weeks ago and it was one of those guitars that actually makes you play better!

Probably the best playing Fender I've had out of the store. Those AVRI pickups are really interesting. You can get all sorts of beefy tones out of it. I don't mind the fact they're the '65 ones at all. I can roll treble off, I can't add it on. It's a shame there's no trem lock on this model, but I guess that's simply an aesthetic detail for a lot of people. The neck yellowing is a bit OTT bit not unrealistic. The neck is GREAT. I can't believe it's a 7.25" radius... there's no choking anywhere. I put a Japanese Mustang bridge in it and as this model has narrow thimbles, it doesn't rock (no need for taping). Got it intonated and set up in a couple of minutes and I've got low action and zero rattle.

It's not perfect on fit and finish... If you get the magnifying glass out, there are a couple of *tiny* specks in the finish, a slight gap to the side of the neck (I hear rumours the CNC'd neck pocket tolerances are designed for thicker poly finishes - you can see a similar gap on the official Fender pics) and a small bit of glue round the frets. Nothing major. Happier with it that my MIJs from the 90s and the last Gibson I bought.

The only thing that marred it? Getting some other guitars out for a comparison and feeling sad I never seem to play some of them! I might yet get rid of some others and consolidate further. After all, there's a 335 on the bucket list :eek:

17632085_10158337875570277_3801226528813963455_o.jpg

noah330, Fendereedo, Nubs and 10 others like this.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Congrats! Love the color.

I think there's one of these, or an AV, in my future.

Matthias likes this.

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I just ordered the Jaguar version. I wish it came in that color as well. I'll give a full review when it lands.

Congratulations and thanks for the report. Fender has some cool guitars out right now.

noah330 and Matthias like this.

4. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Dec 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    I think you'll be very happy. I find that I play outside my normal Rut every time I pick up my Jazzy. Congrats on your new guitar and the cool color!

Matthias likes this.

5. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    Cheers! It plays so well. I reckon it makes me play approximately 1.5% better... So next time your OH asks that question about buying more guitars... ;)

No need for mods except a mint guard and a vintage accurate US tailpiece. Easy reversable changes. Great stuff.

6. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    Ordered the trem. Ouch! they're expensive in the UK. It was cheaper to get one from the USA along with the matching arm. But having one detail that's off annoys me, like the modern tuners on my CiJ Tele Thinline or the mismatch of features and decal on my Classic 70s Jazz Bass.

I've not ordered the pickguard yet. There's no rush, and I've started being swayed towards tort. It would have been a rare combo I guess seen more on factory resprays than store-bought models, but... well, there's something about tort than yells Jazzmaster. Like this one here:

[​IMG]

Decisions, decisions!

Zepfan, BorderRadio and Sjnoring like this.

7. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Sweet catch.
    Love it the way it is.

8. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Nice. I would say that's just as cool as my shell pink Jazzmaster, and that's saying something.

9. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    The white's grown on me as an authentic look... it's just a bit off kilter with the aged covers and neck lacquer. I've ordered an eggshell AVRI guard to soften the contrast a bit but avoid going as far as mint, which IMHO needs something blingy like CAR, Fiesta Red or LPB to balance it.

The guard and the bridge are subtle changes, but should just put the icing on the cake :)

10. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Congrats! I have a Squier VMJM that I love (and that looks very similar to yours, even though it's supposed to be Sonic Blue.) I love JM's in general (big MBV and Swervedriver fan!) and I'm glad Fender finally decided to put out some fairly reasonable offsets that are closer to "vintage" spec (not a huge fan of the Blacktops, but that's just me.)

The Squiers don't come with the trem lock either, and I've never once felt like I was missing anything; I don't think too many players use it anyway. I'm kinda throwing around the idea of installing a roller bridge of some sort because I want to refret it anyway and could just reradius the fretboard while I'm at it, which would open up a lot of options. It plays great though so I haven't been in a big hurry.

Something you might want to try: tune down a whole step (D standard) and put it through a clean amp with some delay and a little chorus. It's such a gorgeous sound with the Jazzmaster pickups!

BorderRadio likes this.

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Congrats, a fine JM you have there! I owned this model briefly, as well as a Blacktop HS, but now settled on a TVL and a well-modded VM JM in all white. I'm eyeing the AmPro...

12. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

I'm envious! I wanted one of those in the same exact color!

13. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Matthias, for what it's worth I've seen an original pre-cbs Jazzmaster in Foam Green with a tortoise shell pickguard so maybe they offered them in Surf Green with a tortoise pickguard also back in the day? I think it looks great on both colors.

Matthias likes this.

14. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    Yeah, it's still an option. I want to see how the cheaper eggshell one fits around those thimbles before I contemplate a proper (well, proper faux!) tortoise shell. I'm definitely off mint. It looks a bit glow-in-the-dark on surf green to my eyes.

I'm interested to see how the eggshell looks in real life. From what I can tell it's going to be close to the slightly greener parchment that the pickup covers sport. Depending on the shade, they might go aged white.

15. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I had to open up my Spitfire thimble holes a tad to fit a MIM TVL, but IIRC, the AV mint guard I put on my lacquer 60s was nearly a direct fit. BTW, the Fender brand of mint is the 'right' shade of gray-green, no neon action there--it was perfect for the surf green, in my opinion of course. It's on my Oly White JM now. The Fender eggshell is pretty subtle from my experience, which is all one needs I suppose.

Matthias likes this.

16. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    Thanks! Do you have a pic of your mind guard on the Surf Green JM perchance? I'd love to see it if so.

17. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sure do. The pic of the 60s is washed out a but the idea is the same. This is the same Fender AVRI guard on both guitars:

DSC_0608.JPG MGonOLYWHT.jpg

WilburBufferson and Matthias like this.

18. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    Thanks... That looks a lot better than the other pics I've seen.

If the eggshell is *too* subtle, I might still go the mint route. In an ideal world, I probably want something a bit in the middle.

BorderRadio likes this.

19. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    In a mass of indecision I did the only logical thing. Splashed out on both a mint and an eggshell to try out both looks!

When I get them I can post a colour-corrected comparison of white, Pure Vintage eggshell, AVRI mint, Mexican mint and parchment as I'll have the full range in one form or another.

BorderRadio and Cat MacKinnon like this.

20. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Cool color to that guitar, but in most cases I find a nice tort guard really brings it to life.

My Jazzmaster is shell pink, which looked great with the off white guard, but looked waaaaaay better once I put on a tort guard.

That is, unless you don't like tort.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.