Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD Incoming! G&L Tribute ASAT Classic

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by YOSTINATOR, Sep 12, 2017.

1. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    I am a HUGE fan of Squier CV's. (I have 3 Teles & 1 Strat from the series) These G&L Tributes have had my attention for awhile and when I saw them on MF's Stupid Deal tonight I took the plunge. It will be my first taste of the G&L brand and I am hoping it will hang with my beloved CV's[​IMG]

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Cool! If I was getting one, I think I'd go for the MDF's, just for the variety.
    [​IMG]

3. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I'm crazy tempted by that deal on MF - I suspect I'll eventually own one of those guitars, but this isn't the right time for me to add another guitar. But I like everything about the spec of that guitar and I love the look of that raw finish. Just need to maintain discipline for another couple hours. They seem to sell them really cheap a few times a year - I'm sure they'll hook me one of these days..

Congrats and enjoy! I look forward to seeing your impressions...

-Ray

YOSTINATOR likes this.

4. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    I got one. Great axe for the buck. I may require feet dressing and a set up. They vary a lot.

talkbox_64 and Les Paul lover like this.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

My thought is, the Squier CV is just a better finished product - they could use a fret level, crown and polish or you could just play it as is.

By comparison, any of these guitars from the Cortek plant in Surabaya are in a nature of a kit, I had found. The good things about the Tribute replica are, the heel is nice and wide and IMO makes playing above the 12 fret a bit more comfortable (assuming the frets are nicened up), and tinkering with them actually does improve them - you don't have to throw away the final spit and polish to modify one, like you must to mess with a Squier CV.

Route67 likes this.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

What do others think of the jumbo MDFs? I like them and think of them as P-90s with a college degree -- more hi-fi (more highs and lows) and less growl.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't think they're as much like P-90s as people expect them to be - they're also not like Jazzmaster pickups although people want them to be that, too.

Jupiter and Les Paul lover like this.

8. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2017
    England
    They have more lows and more highs than P90. They have less grunt as well, as a traditional P90 can have, as well as less honky.

Difficult to describe - I'm not saying they are better than P90, just pretty different.

They really are lovely for sure. They're great clean, they really love dirt too. They sure don't sound like a traditional tele though. Fatter, and the bridge isn't as shrill as a tele bridge can be.

Something to not underestimate too, the saddle lock bridge is a brilliant design in my opinion. Super comfy to rest your hand on, no grub screws sticking out, gobs of sustain too.

However, as boris said, my ASAT Special Tribute needed some serious fret attention. I've had to hammer in a number of frets not fully pressed in, and will perform a fret level soon.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

+1. It's a solid bridge!

YOSTINATOR and Les Paul lover like this.

10. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    Let's assume the fret work is on par with Squier CV's... How do they compare then?

11. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    Is the fret work routinely shoddy on these? Do any ever come out of the factory ready to roll?

12. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    So you get the guitar and have a chance to give it a fair assessment? Inquiring minds want to know ;)

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

14. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    Hey guys, sorry for the delay. Things have been crazy here both good and bad. Anyway, I ended up returning the guitar. The fit and finish was great on it, but the guitar sounded out of tune playing chords anywhere on the neck. It was the strangest damned thing. Also, the pickups sounded very inferior to the excellent Toneriders in my Squier CVs. I wanted it in my collection very much, but it just was not meant to be.

15. JagInTheBag

JagInTheBag TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Grayslake, IL
    That is a damn shame. I have NEVER heard of intonation issues on a G&L, Tribute or otherwise. The MFD Soapbars are their own thing and take some tweaking of your normal settings to get the most out of them. I've found them to be more versatile and satisfying once you do, however. Sorry to hear this particular guitar didn't work out. Don't let that stop you from trying again.

~JagInTheBag

YOSTINATOR likes this.

16. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2017
    England
    Do you know how to set the intonation properly? Moving saddle forward/ back and adjusting the height for the action?

17. JagInTheBag

JagInTheBag TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Grayslake, IL
    Sounds to me that Guitar Center did not do a proper job of setting the guitar up prior to delivering it to Yostinator. It is a shame, the made for GC guitars are designed to bring younger players to the brand. With experiences like these, who needs enemies?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017

18. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    Yeah I know how guys. Lol. I have 21 guitars. The only thing I could think of was that the frets might have been wrong for the scale length.

JagInTheBag likes this.

19. JagInTheBag

JagInTheBag TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Grayslake, IL
    Well, NFG, SMH. My guitar gently weeps...

20. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    It was just very odd.. believe me, I was smh. I expect all guitars need a bit of setup, but this thing was just

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.