Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD-Ibanez Prestige Talman

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Frodebro, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    A couple of years ago I bought my first Prestige Talman, an 1803 model (Nashville Tele pickup configuration). It quickly became my favorite guitar (after yanking the Duncan Alnico Pro pickups and dropping in a set of Lollar Special Ts).

Scanning through the Guitar Center website the other day, I discovered that the GC where I bought that one still had the Strat version in stock, and off I went.

As far as playability, it is identical to the first one (same body, same neck), but with a trem bridge and a set of Duncan Alnico Five-Two pickups. This one checks all of my boxes for what I was looking for, the only modification will be Schaller strap buttons (which are on all of my guitars).

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

The shielding on these guitars is excellent, both are true single coil guitars, but both are dead quiet-even with higher gain stuff. Love it. The necks are a C shape, nothing like a typical thin shredder Ibanez neck, but with a 12" radius that makes them still pretty easy to move around quickly on. As an added bonus, the trem actually stays in tune really well for most normal wiggling. Divebombing doesn't work so well, but that's not what this guitar is all about. I've spent most of the afternoon playing surf music. :D

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Congratulations!

Frodebro likes this.

3. Frodebro

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Thank you! I do believe I'm mellowing with age... :eek:

4. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I really dig the talman. I have want for a tmb30

Frodebro likes this.

5. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    next up - the acoustic versions?

6. Frodebro

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Nah, as great as Ibanez is with their electrics I wouldn't be interested in anything acoustic from them.

7. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    Do they sound very different from each other?

8. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Congrats!!
    Love mine!

Frodebro likes this.

9. Frodebro

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Yes, as different as a Strat and Tele typically are from each other. The Lollars (in the black pickguard) are higher output as well, so it has a much fatter sound on top of that.

grooveiron likes this.

10. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga

11. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Meister

May 14, 2011
    South Louisiana
    Congrats. Nothing like finding a guitar that just fits.

12. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    My RC430 has dummy coils between the single coils to cancel hum. Your Talman may be so quiet for the same reason.

13. tonyp145

tonyp145 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Kent, WA
    I used to have one of the original Talman Strats in the 90s -- maple neck and 3 lipstick tube pickups. Boy was that sucker twangy! It's a shame I don't play country, it would have been perfect. Periodically I go looking for one on eBay, etc. Definitely a guitar I wish I had never sold. Enjoy yours.

Frodebro likes this.

14. tonyp145

tonyp145 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Kent, WA
    Oh and PS I would face quite the grilling from the missus if I had invested in two such similar guitars. I mean I understand the difference of course, but explaining it to her? Hoo boy! :rolleyes:

15. Frodebro

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    There aren't any in these guitars, they're just both shielded very thoroughly. I was actually surprised when I got the first one, it was dead quiet even with a lot of gain in the amp. It's those little details that suck a guy in, though...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.