Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

[NGD] Holy Grail ES-335. Heaven on Earth.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by inanevoyage, Feb 20, 2012.

1. inanevoyage

inanevoyage TDPRI Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Cambridge, MA
    [​IMG]

She’s a truly unique 335 out of Memphis. A 2011 with special dog-eared P90 pickups instead of the ’57 buckers, giving a hot bright sound. The Custom Shop gave it their coil-tap feature to limit the output on the pups on jazzy occasions. They did a run of these P90s in the ES semi-hollows a couple years ago and were a big hit. Hope they keep doing this going forward, but I got mine!

It’s a nitro gloss top with satin maple neck and back. The best thing I can call her is responsive. Simply put, last night she did whatever I threw at her. You want to rough up the distortion? Add pick attack. Jack White would hate this guitar, because there is no battle with it. She does as she is told.

The sustain is phenomenal on even the smallest plucks, making ghost notes sound better than I’ve ever been to pull off. (That technique is a work in progress for me). The action is low, fretboard fast – and now I’m only left with the issue of the American Deluxe tele that is going to go unplayed for the next six months.

Her name is Betty. I am seriously not worthy. :eek:

2. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

Jul 7, 2008
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Very nice. Congratulations.

3. telequacktastic

telequacktastic Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2011
    Fort Worth
    That's a beautiful guitar man! I saw one of those way high up on the wall at gc and thought "nah, better not"... Maybe I should get er down and play her, I must be missing something.

I have the same CAE wah as you, love that wah!!!

4. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2010
    everett wa
    Very nice! want one now!

5. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nice. First electric guitar I ever played. Same colour an all.

6. inanevoyage

inanevoyage TDPRI Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Cambridge, MA
    When something like that happens to a fella, it's pretty easy to explain your nine thousand post count. That's ****ing awesome.

7. inanevoyage

inanevoyage TDPRI Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Cambridge, MA
    Do it! She looked extra sexy behind the glass in the platinum room.

I dove right in with the 404 last night :D. They play so nice together on that neck pup.

8. Canuckcaster

Canuckcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 12, 2006
    Calgary, Alberta
    That guitar is amazing! I love Gibson P90's. It's a good thing I've never seen one in person, or I'd own it, and be divorced. I remember going into a guitar shop a few years ago and asking the sales dood if they had anything with P90's. He kinda rolled his eyes and said "Nobody uses P90's anymore". He then proceeded to show me something pointy with EMG's. :rolleyes:

Enjoy your new "Betty".

CC

9. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2009
    Cincinnati
    Very cool guitar. I love my 335. I think it is very cool with the p90's. I always wanted a 330 because of that and the hollow boday, but this might be the best of both worlds.
    Enjoy! Good guitar will make you practice more.

10. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Holic

Dec 31, 2009
    North Carolina
    SWEETNESS! Congrats and Salutations my friend!
    That is one smokin' Gibby there. Enjoy!

11. Carzee

Carzee Tele-Afflicted

The only track that makes we want want want a 335 is posted below. Its BB and Lucille swapping riffs/licks with a Strat (KWS). The sounds of each guitar/amp are so beautiful, but the 335 tone is best (to my ears), YMMV

The hang time on that B note of BB's (you'll know the one when you hear it at about 6:20) is 11secs.

Best BB rendition/tone ever. Turn it UP! The backing band is also awesome.

Thats the 335 Holy Grail to me and congrats on getting your very own. Beautiful. :D

12. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR

13. inanevoyage

inanevoyage TDPRI Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Cambridge, MA
    Guilty as charged, I'm afraid.

14. inanevoyage

inanevoyage TDPRI Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Cambridge, MA
    The lady friend cracked up at your divorce comment. Terrible story about the sales guy. What is this world coming to?

15. inanevoyage

inanevoyage TDPRI Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Cambridge, MA
    I put together a quick video yesterday for reddit, and figured I'd share with you guys. Sorry for the bad microphone. The song is an original.

16. José

José Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2008
    paris
    Did you it recorded with an Imac?

17. inanevoyage

inanevoyage TDPRI Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Cambridge, MA
    Early 08 macbook pro. Put a new left fan in it last week and ordered a new battery. Still going strong!

18. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

Sep 29, 2010
    Tallahassee FL
    Sounds great! Looks great! But I almost had to go to the eye doctor. Thought I was seeing everything backwards. ;)

Congrats!

19. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    So how did the guitar go from a righty to a lefty ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.