Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD - Gretsch Corvette (1964)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Paul Jenkin, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK

2. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    No. I had some money put aside for a guitar that was either going to be a brand new "American" Strat / Tele / Les Paul - or something a bit esoteric that really grabbed me. My wife and stumbled across this shop while out in London and got chatting with the guys there. One of them mentioned this make / model. I said I'd never heard of it, he brought the guitar out from the basement and I tried it out and loved the thing. I surfed the interweb over the weekend but couldn't find anything similar - a few that had two pickups and a Bigsby - but really I liked the simplicity of this one. Anyway, that's me all guitared out for what will probably be a long time.....

3. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Wow that's a neat looking guitar you have right there ! seems in very good condition .. with just one pickup you'll have tons of work to do :) and that's so good :)

enjoy and happy ngd again

Paul Jenkin likes this.

4. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Very Nice. Congrats.

That headstock wasn't near a ceiling fan was it?

brogh and Paul Jenkin like this.

5. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Ha :D...! You don't need ceiling fans in the UK. Most of the time it's raining and, when it's not raining, it's about to rain.

Piggy Stu, src9000 and brogh like this.

6. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    My buddy had one of those back in the day. Despite the cheesy trapeze tailpiece I remember it feeling like a quality guitar.

That pickup is a "hi-lo-tron", single coil. They sound quite good, with a bit of graininess and body to 'em.

Nice guitar.

Dan R and Paul Jenkin like this.

7. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX
    That's a guitar that'll turn some heads.
    I hardly ever see them here in Texas, I imagine that they are even more rare in the UK.
    Congratulations, again!

Paul Jenkin likes this.

8. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    Very nice! Love the style & color. Congrats!

Paul Jenkin likes this.

9. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    Never seen or heard of one before. Thanks for the pics, congrats! Give us an update once you settle in with it.

Paul Jenkin likes this.

10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Congrats, I love Corvettes. I recently picked up a beat up 1965 or 1966 G6135, the double Hilo'tron Corvette model, as well as a 1961-1964 Honduran mahogany 'vette body. I'd love to pick your brain on specs. I'm restoring the '66 and making a Corvette Jr. out of the slab body (think Rory Gallagher's main 'Vette).

Speaking of years, I notice you have a notch at the heel, where the trapeze is centered. From my basic research, I thought these were notched mid 1964 or so, which happened along with the split 4/2 headstock. The black pickup bezels are something I deduced to occur post 1968, so I'm surprised to see it on your model. It's not like the black ring was common either, and the bezel meant a change to the pickguard, 10-hole to 11.

Whatever the year, a very cool guitar, enjoy!

Dan R and Paul Jenkin like this.

11. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Very cool....although I wonder how good the intonation is?

Paul Jenkin likes this.

12. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Very cool looking guitar!

Paul Jenkin likes this.

13. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Thank you.

Not much point asking me about the niceties of the design and authenticity of the guitar as I know very little other than I like it. I asked the shop if it was all "original" and was told that they didn't have a full history and couldn't be 100% certain. However, looking at the guitar, everything is "old". I doubt if much has ever been done to it and certainly not since the 60's. I'd be happy to take more detailed photos if you want them (my main hobby is photography - despite these shots being from an iPhone).

I have a 12 month window in which to take it back for set-up but, although I'm no expert, it feels very good as it is and it holds its tuning very well. I hope to get many years playing out of it but it's a piece of art in my eyes and just 3 years younger than me. I'll be treating it gently as it's coming up to retirement age and deserves a bit of respect.

14. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Thank you. The intonation seems okay to my ear.

15. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Thank you. Cheesy? One man's fromage is another's rib-eye! :p

16. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Rarer than Unicorn droppings, I expect....

17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I appreciate your offer! I might need a photo or two, but I'm ok just searching the web for now. Calipers handy?

Certainly you have a 60s Gretsch Corvette, and I don't doubt the 'all original' deal either based on the appearance. There is nothing like these today, even the Electromatic models stand apart easily. There isn't too much info I can find on these models, it doesn't help many records were burned in the 70s. No wonder the shop can't be 100%--they might of acquired it as a "64" as the previous owners best guess. As I mentioned, the biggest 'weirdness' is the pickguard and black bezel--the older pickguard doesn't allow for the Gretsch Filter'tron ring.

The '66 I'm working on has a great feeling neck, pretty chunky too. I don't want a brand new look, just enough to get working again--I definitely respect the design.

18. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    The Corvette is a way cool and rare guitar. Congrats.

Paul Jenkin likes this.

19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Congrats. :)

The Barbarians' guitarists are both using Gretsch Corvettes in this live performance.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

20. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    The neck on this one is quite slim - (through the neck from thumb to forefinger) but reasonably wide (across the fretboard). The neck is about the slimmest of all the guitars I have (incl Strat, Tele, Hamer XT, PRS, Gibson 349). It's also glued in - with what looks like one chunky dowel through the body to lock it.

If you need photos, that's easy. I do have a decent rule - but I don't have calipers, though!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.