Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD - Godin Core CT P90

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by RYAN1987M, Dec 21, 2015.

1. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 5, 2013
    Woodstock, ON
    2015 Godin Core CT P90 - Made in Canada

Two P-90's, four knobs, a Graphtech Resomax adjustable wraparound bridge, a carved Canadian maple top over a chambered Spanish cedar back (which is technically a variety of mahogany) - I'm loving this guitar!

I'm really enjoying the combination of the two P-90's (Seymour Duncan - an SP90-1 in the Neck and an SP90-3 in the Bridge) and the wraparound bridge. Of course the 24 3/4" scale and the set-neck make the Core CT feel very familiar.

I really enjoy the feel of the neck on this guitar - I can hardly detect any finish at all. The neck profile is a shallow oval with a nice shoulder - it's definitely a bit different, but I'm digging it.

This guitar is well appointed with some nice features. It's partially chambered, mostly on the bass side of the guitar - this keeps the whole guitar well balanced and the treble side still sounds nice and snappy. I appreciate the carved top and the fact that there is a slight carve on the back-side as well (a bit like a tummy cut) - this makes for a very ergonomic guitar that's really comfortable to play (it's perfectly balanced whether I'm sitting or standing).

The fit and finish are second to none - this one is definitely a looker! I cannot find any flaws in the fit/finish and the binding looks perfect too (no paint leakage).

What else can I say? The stars have truly aligned with this instrument - quality, versatility, and affordability. This guitar is just such a workhorse!

Ryan

2. RYAN1987M

Dec 5, 2013
    Woodstock, ON
    A stock photo -

[​IMG]

The first thing that I did, and what I always do with LP's and 335's, is remove the pickguard -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. RYAN1987M

Dec 5, 2013
    Woodstock, ON
    Aesthetically, I think I may make a small change. It's a bit perplexing to me that they used black knobs, creme pickup covers, and a white switch tip. I'll likely put on a black switch tip and I'm considering switching the pickup covers to black as well.

What would you do?

4. adam.gotch

adam.gotch Tele-Meister

Jan 16, 2012
    Santa Barbara
    I like it much better without the pickguard. I might go for gold knobs...but your idea sounds good too. Of course, I like the pickups. :)

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Very nice! I would seek some amber knobs, I like the cream pickup covers.

6. frown

frown TDPRI Member

May 24, 2014
    Bolton
    I'd put cream knobs and tip on, like some of Collings guitars. Compliment the binding I say. I'd even consider cream tuner buttons too...

[​IMG]

7. ddhr

ddhr Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    That is a looker - congrats!

8. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    fine looking guitar - congrats. replacing just the pickup selector tip would be the most economical move. I wouldn't fuss with the pickup covers. seems like cream or gold knobs would look pretty good, especially with the sunburst.

9. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    That really is gorgeous, congrats! And stop firing up my GAS!! I just got a LP and don't "need" another right now!! :D

I'm torn on aesthetic change options really. I think the cream PU covers look really nice and compliment the binding well, but can also see how nicely black covers would look. I think the neck pickup might get a bit lost on yours as the burst to black goes a bit further past the pickup than on the stock pic you posted, but then black guitars with black P90 covers are pretty friggin' cool too. :twisted:

I'd say start with the switch tip and go from there. I've never been a fan of the bell-style speed knobs and tend to replace them on any guitar first thing. Some gold or amber full speed knobs, or black or gold top hats would look slick. Great thing about all of those changes is that you can fully reverse and reuse on other guitars as they suit your mood.

I wouldn't swap out tuners or tuner buttons to cream, but that's just me.

Regardless of what you end up doing, that is one sweet git-box. Congrats!

10. JReazor

JReazor Tele-Holic

Jul 23, 2014
    Newark, DE
    That's really pretty. I think it looks great the way it is.

Congrats.

11. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Kind of odd how prominently the "Made in Canada" is on the headstock though, right? Nothing against guitars made in Canada or anywhere else, but it's part of the overall headstock design the way it's presented. I guess that's the way they produce all of their paddle headstock-style guitars though. Seems like it would look a lot cleaner of a look to not have it on the front of the headstock, but that's just me, and it wouldn't be a dealbreaker. Just an odd choice by Godin I guess.

12. thelowerlip

thelowerlip Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2010
    In the Mountains
    I have everything I need. What are you doing to me?!

13. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Oct 2, 2013
    Reno
    I think I'd go with the cream accents as well. She's pretty and like I always say sometimes, everyone needs at least one P90 guitar...:D

14. JReazor

JReazor Tele-Holic

Jul 23, 2014
    Newark, DE
    Robert Godin is a very proud French Canadian. This is the sound hole on my Merlin.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015

15. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    I never played a Godin guitar that didn't impress me. Proud Canadian indeed:)

16. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Well...I suppose that's about all the guitar I'd need forever.
    I need my P90s to be microphonic, though.
    I love the body bevel for that National/Supro vibe.

17. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City

Ah, well there you go!

18. Tele Ted

Tele Ted Tele-Holic

May 14, 2012
    Kern County, CA

19. RYAN1987M

Dec 5, 2013
    Woodstock, ON
    Still loving it - I just can't get enough of this guitar. It's a special one, no doubt!

20. LowPassFilter

LowPassFilter TDPRI Member

Dec 27, 2015
    The South
    I had a similar one -- their blue denim finish is amazing! I loved mine and ended up letting it go so I could get a Collings 290. The Collings is better, but it's not 4x better (which is the price difference).

The Godins are a steal used as well -- I think I got my Core P90 for $400 on eBay, whereas my Collings was over $2000 on Reverb.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.