Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD Gibson J-15

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by tominwa, Jun 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. tominwa

tominwa Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Olympia, Wa
    Well it was last week actually but I wanted to spend some time with it before posting.

I haven't touched an acoustic is a very very long time. Last week I drove the 30 miles to my local music store with full intention of picking up a little solid Mahogany Martin. You can pick up a couple under a grand. My budget. They had the Gibson J-15 in used. A 2016 model with a couple of finish marks on it (that completely buffed out) for under my budget and got it instead. The Martins were fine and was surprised at the selection of new under $1,000. That said, I am a Gibson snob and bought it.

[​IMG]
    I quickly found that I wasn't man enough for the 12s Martin strings that were on it and did the dance for a few days. 11's...naw, still not right. 10s? I know I know...but they felt better and I could play them. Then what kind of 10s? I zeroed in on the Earnie Ball Silk and Steele"soft" strings. They sound great and fit my style of play better. I did have to make neck adjustments going down each size. Maybe that is an acoustic thing? More sensitive to string sizes than a standard electric?

The J-15 is Walnut and Sitka Spruce with a three piece maple neck. I haven't played a walnut back and sides before and really like it. Initially with the 12s it was just as deep sounding as the solid mahogany ones I played in the store. Dropping down to the 10s it's hard to tell what affect it has as most will play thicker strings. However, these silk and steel strings are very mellow. Almost a classical nylon type of sound.

The on board electronics are about as good as any of them I guess. I'm not a fan of any of them so my opinion doesn't count for much. But it is nice to have it there. To my ear it sounded better through a Blues JR than the DRRI. I didn't fiddle with it that much though. It definitely didn't like going through a compressor though. (earthquake The Warden)
    [​IMG]

I feel no difference between the walnut fingerboard and the rosewood on my other guitars. Overall, a very beautiful instrument. I like it so much, I know I will be wanting the J-45. Why I don't know, the J-15 sounds just fine and does the job I want perfectly. The J-45 is more money so it must be better yet. Right? Right?

I had forgotten that it is apples and oranges between electrics and acoustics. An acoustic will show you how lazy you have gotten. Of course, a new nice guitar in the room it got all my love this last week. I just got back from the store to drop it off for a set up and going back to my 175 I was a little more precise. Chalk up one reason to keep up with acoustic playing.
    [​IMG]

uriah1, JBFatFingers, gitold and 2 others like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Congratulations, great looking guitar!

tominwa likes this.
  3. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    One of the nicest $1499 guitars I've ever played.

tominwa likes this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Bitchin'. My experience with them is the same as @DougM . To me, it is the best dread in that price range by far and if I ever want a dread, that will be the one for me.

tominwa likes this.
  5. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.