Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD, Gibson Firebrand The Paul deluxe, 1981.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ScottJPatrick, Oct 6, 2018.

1. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    I've been looking for a while for a budget priced Gibson, preferably slab bodied mahogany so took the chance when it came along to buy this. 1981 Gibson The Paul firebrand Deluxe! Bit of a mouthful but there you go, lots of variations of these guitars, this is the one with the mahogany body and neck, black faceplate with gold silkscreen logo, ebony fingerboard.

8.1lbs, nice neck, no damage anywhere, pretty much all original apart from the pickguard and a dodgy orange switch tip, def going! I'm in two minds about the guard, might keep it but lay it flat to the body or possibly adapt a Les Paul Special guard to fit instead. Great tones, will post better pics once I've had the chance to clean it properly and put some decent strings on it. Looks like the pickups are Tim Shaw's (different thread) which is a big bonus, was expecting T-tops.

IMG_4225.JPG IMG_4228.JPG IMG_4235.JPG IMG_4236.JPG IMG_4238.JPG IMG_4239.JPG IMG_4213.JPG

studio1087, shupe13, Zepfan and 6 others like this.
  2. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice! Give us some sound clips too! ;)

ScottJPatrick likes this.
  3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I have a Gibson Firebrand SG, but the logo was branded into the headstock. It was the only guitar like that I had ever seen.

4. Marshallfender

Marshallfender Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2011
    Ct
    Happy NGD!! I'm sure you will like it. I have a 78 "The Paul" bought new. Walnut. Great guitars. I should have installed IMG_5600.JPG a pick guard. lol

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Looks like a workhorse!

6. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    It's a thing of beauty.

7. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    Awesome..here Paul1.jpg my 1978..love the tones in these..cool score !!

8. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2017
    Washington
    Cool. My first guitar was an '80 LP Firebrand. Great guitar but over time, I fell out of love with the T-Tops. They're one of the few "deal" guutars still out there.

9. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    thats a pic of rock to me..a Gibson in front of a proper Marshall

ScottJPatrick and Marshallfender like this.
  10. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Very nice. Definitely one of the nicest Les Paul models imho.
    But take the pickguard off!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  11. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Meister

I always liked the stripped-down look of these. Especially as they are the chosen live guitar of Wiz from MegaCity4 (both sadly departed.)
    Great band, great sound.

[​IMG]

12. ScottJPatrick

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    Thanks for the replies, I remember liking these when they came out but I was more into SG's at the time, great workhorse guitars which are still at a sensible price. I had a 1974 '55 re-issue Special for a while earlier this year and loved the look and sound but couldn't (literally!) get to grips with the extra wide fingerboard, the one on the Firebrand is much more to my taste.

IMG_8531.JPG

studio1087 likes this.
  13. Hi... HNGD! Was '81 the year they transitioned to Shaws? (I ask because the '80 I used to have definitely had T-Tops.) You might have seen that one doing the rounds on Gumtree West Lothian a year or so ago... I liked the T-Tops but didnt take to the toggle position. They do seem to have shot up in price over the past coupla years!

14. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic

Dec 19, 2017
    Chattanooga
    IMG_0447.JPG

Yes please, with pearly gates pickups.

15. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
  16. ScottJPatrick

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    Yes, 79-81 seems to be when T-tops were replaced by Shaw's, there are even T-tops with all the Shaw markings so there was a fair bit of cross-over during those years. Must admit I got mine for a pretty good price, saw it had just been listed and chucked in a quick offer, only 49 pounds shipping too which helped a lot.

The whole 'The Paul' / Firebrand series of guitars have a fair amount of variation in terms of parts, logo's etc, definitely a parts bin guitar, even stranger that they started adding Firebrand to the truss cover just as they stopped actually Firebranding them!

Not sure of the history of this one, I bought it on Reverb from a guy in Zagreb, Croatia but have seen images of other similar ones with the pickguard although I don't think any ever came like that from the factory. Couple of good examples in previous posts why it might have been a good idea though.

kookaburra, bftfender and 7171551 like this.
  17. ScottJPatrick

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    Wow, this photo really makes me think I might keep the guard after all, I actually prefer Les Paul Standards and Customs without but Juniors and Specials really need one and the Firebrand is much more akin to one of them.

18. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2008
    Exeter, UK
    One of my favourite bands and very sadly missed

19. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    mine is all stock with t-top and i love em.. use this guitar for nasty rock and blues..there is a raunch to them and a sizzle. its a very responsive guitar...cool posts here seeing the love for a unique Gibson

20. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    Congrats!! I can't believe another Firebrand showed up just a couple days before mine! Yours is beautiful, while mine (1980) definitely has a few miles -- and the black splatter aging -- on it (but at 7.3 lbs, I'm not sure I'd trade you). T-tops long gone, but the antiquities are nice. A pic...

[​IMG]

studio1087 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.