Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD Gibson Firebird T 2016

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by grolan1, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I heard the vintage pickups were A2's.

Cavalier Phoenix Firebirds sound great and built to original specs as well.

2. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    Not sure whether A2 or A5 mags. I do know my JB FB1 with Alnico 2s and mildly hot winding (7.64Kohm) sounds more like a Firebird than any other guitar I've ever owned. Kills and eats Teles, Esquires and Juniors too!

Zepfan, Il Duce and AngelDeville like this.

3. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    Harsh words, but true.....

Paul G. likes this.

4. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    Congrats, nice looking guitar!

As to comments about Gibson QC over the last few years, I have to say it is not too good. The 3rd 335 I got is a good one, the first had a split in the top ply, the second had the bridge pickup a good 1/8" off center, nothing lined up there...amazing. I played, bought and returned a few Lesters before I found a keeper. Same with my 61SG RI.

They make some good ones, but in my opinion you have to cherry pick them. Stores with good return policies make that fairly easy to do.

5. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Beautiful Bird there. I love that Black Pickguard too.

Enjoy !!!

grolan1 likes this.

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    That's a beautiful guitar.

I have a humble studio/Tribute Firebird and I love playing it. My guitar would be the nerd wingman to your fine looking Firebird if they ever went out drinking together. Did that make sense?

The small humbuckers spaced farther apart sound huge. The cleans are just as great as the crunch. Huge sounding guitars.

Enjoy it! What a great looking guitar!!!

grolan1 likes this.

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Also like the Black pickguard. They should put a Black guard on the Pelham Blue Firebirds too.

grolan1 likes this.

8. perttime

perttime Tele-Holic

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    Congratulations!

You could keep switching, so that people think you have at least two of them :p

I've always bought guitars that have already been played, by shop staff or a previous owner. That way, there's an extra step of QC before I get the guitar...

grolan1 likes this.

9. I'll have to say, birds can be bright guitars, even with Klein pickups. Roll back on the bridge tone and everything is fine.

The neck is to die for though!

Zepfan likes this.

10. overlook1977

overlook1977 TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Raleigh NC
    I played a 2017 Firebird T ($1350 USD) today at Guitar Center and these are my takeaways. The guitar looks great. It was much lighter than I expected all around... I didn't experience the neck heaviness I was expecting. It sounded about how I expected it to. The two problems I had which caused me not to purchase were the feel of the finish and the weight. The guitar had that feeling that mid-priced Chinese made guitars have, like they were dipped in a vat of polyurethane and it dried a quarter inch thick. I also like heavier guitars and it just had no weight to at at all. The end result was it felt like a cheap guitar. I believe these only come with a gig bag vs a HSC also which is kind of insane to me, but that alone wouldn't be a deal breaker. I was disappointed because I really want one... maybe I'll run across an older model that feels different one day.

11. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    I walked out of CME with one brand new for right under 1k when they were priced that way in '16. Wonderful guitar, didn't change a single thing to it but I did trade towards something more expensive a year later. Might have to get one back.

They're all good IMO, from wrap around TP juniors to the NR's w/p90's etc. Haven't met a firebird I didn't like.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.