Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD Gibson Firebird T 2016

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by grolan1, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Just traded for this guitar and was concerned reading all of the negative posts on the quality of Gibson, for sure around these models. After checking it out I must say it's flawless and high quality. Much, much better quality than my Gibson LP Studio Tribute... much better. Funny thing I traded two Fender amps, one for each of my Gibson's with the same guy. The only two Gibson's I own!

This Firebird has the Klein pickups installed.... and I love the Steinberger tuners!

20170608_075259.jpg 20170608_075305.jpg

2. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    Beautiful 'Bird! Glad that you got a good one! I ordered one and unfortunately it had some issues so I returned it, but other than the issues it was a awesome guitar and I will have another one someday.

grolan1 likes this.

3. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    Ahh the internet. The place to get accurate information from strangers.

Gibsons are fine. Recent models are top-quality. As always, on hand-built, hand-finished instruments there is some variation. I've seen so many posts nitpicking meaningless details.

Me, I play 'em.

I've got a passel of recent Gibsons (well 4) and they are as good as anything.

Sometimes they leave the factory with nuts that are a tad high, otherwise they look, feel, sound and play just like they should.

Love the black Pickguard. Makes it stand out!!

P.

AngelDeville and grolan1 like this.

4. LarryH

LarryH TDPRI Member

Apr 8, 2017
    Tallahassee, FL
    Very nice, congrats!

I haven't played any of the newer Gibsons, but my '99 LP Standard is pretty awesome. :)

What I really want is an older Firebird!

grolan1 likes this.

5. From what I've read (no personal firsthand experience) the early ones are great.. later models started to skip the through neck/body design as well as the multi-ply neck which some called the 'rubber necks'. So look it over closely if you find a later 'older' one... They also tend to be neck heavy and personally I know its standard and what a Firebird is all about, but not a fan of the banjo tuners, plus they add weight which makes it even more neck heavy.

I couldn't be happier with the one I have...

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Purdy!
    Love the black guard.

7. funny, I go back and forward with putting the white one back on... I lay the white one over the black one and say, yep I'm changing.. then I remove the white one sitting on top and say... man that black one looks really good!

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Nice, easy mod!
    I did a similar thing with my gold top Les Paul.
    It has black covers on the P90s.

9. David Meiland

David Meiland TDPRI Member

Great looking guitar, and the bench in the background is cool too!

Zepfan and grolan1 like this.

10. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    Wow! Looks good! congratulations! Firebirds are easily one of my favorite looking guitars

grolan1 likes this.

11. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    It's on my list. Looks great-enjoy it.

grolan1 likes this.

12. I was also worried that it would seem awkward being so long... I agree it won't be gigged when there are small spaces, normal guitar even have an issues, but all and all it seems very balance and natural.

Also hanging on the walk next to Tele's/Strat's the headstock is just a tad longer/taller. The main overall length difference is the extra below, it's guess around 4-5 inches below a standard guitar.

Some say they find they end up playing (by mistake) 2 frets up the neck. I also don't find that to be an issue...

13. That's a tallgate I picked up from my neighbor leaning against his shed. Was super easy to make a bench for it... not comfortable but great to look at!

14. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    She's gorgeous!

I wish my Bonamassa Firebird came with those tuners.

grolan1 likes this.

15. LarryH

LarryH TDPRI Member

Apr 8, 2017
    Tallahassee, FL
    That was my understanding too. But dang, yours looks better the more I look at it!

grolan1 likes this.

16. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga

17. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    Very nice,
    There seems to be a renewed interest in Firebirds.
    Gibson has been making them the same way, off and on for many years.
    But they are hot right now I think, possibly due to
    Epiphone releasing the JB Firebird.
    They have sold out all over the country, the sun bursts are gone.
    No doubt Gibson and Epiphone will be working overtime getting the market filled with new Firebirds.
    For some reason the SG is also reaching a new peaks of popularity, a new generation of players is falling back to tried and true designs.
    It kind of refreshing really, the wheels of time roll on and on.

18. Check this out, hard to beat the price with free shipping! These just came at Sweetwater...and dang this one has a hardshell Gibson case!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DSF10VSCH

boredguy6060 and AngelDeville like this.

19. Marcelo R

Marcelo R Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2014
    Uruguay
    Congratulations! I'm waiting to get a Firebird myself - if everything goes right, I'll have it in my hands in a few days.

Enjoy your guitar! Best regards.

grolan1 likes this.

20. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    The construction of the Gibson Firebird hasn't changed, ever. The first part of the first year production, the neck-through is 3-ply rather than the later 9-ply.

There is a separate model that comes and gos called the Studio which is a glued-in neck with a tenon joint.

The earliest ones are prized because of their pickups, low output Alnico V wound to around 6.8k. They are clear, defined and spanky -- the neck pickup position in particular is beautiful. Listen to Johnnie Winter.

The first "reissues" in the 70s have very different pickups, the coils rotated 90°, different magnets, etc. They sound good, but not as "Firebird-y".

Since 2005, they come with overwound, ceramic magnet pickups, back to original construction. Gibson is definitely going for the Rock market as they sound great with overdrive. The neck is still nice, but the bridge can sound a bit flat clean. Plenty of great aftermarket Firebird pickups out there -- Chris Klein makes very authentic ones. 2010 and later got Steinberger tuners.

Any year Firebird is fine, perhaps only needing a pickup swap.

P.

AngelDeville, LarryH and grolan1 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.