Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD G&L Tribute ASAT Classic Butterscotch Blond

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by whitecloud, Sep 14, 2017.

1. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    EDIT: The pics below in this first post color is off. I blame my computer monitor been flickering and lose some red. Now working and can see this pictures better. I'll keep them for show of wood grain but the pics taken outside reflect the color better(post #7). With that back to original comments
    Well a week late for NGD but had to take pics and that didn't happen until yesterday. G&L Tribute ASAT Classic Butterscotch Blond , MFD single coil pups to me sound good enough to keep in there neck nice and clear yet warm, love the middle position and am figuring out how to dial in the Bridge. I'll go more traditional next time out as far as pickups and maybe even another G&L.
    This is not just a good guitar for the money, it's a great guitar and hangs with the best of what else I own and play.
    Love the neck profile, frets down nicely in fact went over this guitar thourouhly over the past week and can't find much of any flaws. Loose jack had to tighten, neck relief and couple saddle adjustments, new strings and we're good to go.
    Plays as good as my Gibson LP albiet Fender scale, but upper
    fret access seems better. Butterscotch not as dark as I thought maybe even more period correct, shows the wood grain and looks to be a one piece body. So with that here a few pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    8barlouie, Rustbucket, 41144 and 5 others like this.

2. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    Congrats! I sure hope I will be able to say the same for mine. I will receive it tomorrow. Fingers crossed[​IMG]

3. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    Also, how is the fret work on it? I have heard some say they are not consistent in regards to fret work etc

4. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    No sharp edges feels good to me easy to fly up and down the neck. The model you are expecting tomorrow I've read the same thing, either really good or needs work or even sent back for exchange. Haven't read many reviews on mine, yours has the Alnico pups instead of the MFD and I think the Butterscotch retails for a bit more. I saw just the other day Stupid deal of the day @MF for yours $300.00 and that price or 350 once in awhile. I am sure interested in how things work out for you. Might just have to snag one on sale if the timing is right. give me more Traditional Tele pups. At a local shop there is a older USA Classic ASAT same natural finish but a White Pickguard, wonder if one can buy from G&L parts dept.?

YOSTINATOR likes this.

5. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Sure looks more like Natural than BSB. Nice none the less...

savofenno, Obsessed and tomtama like this.

6. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Looks like natural to me too. Mind you I have the Classic Tribute in natural and the Ash is lighter than that.

7. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    OK actually I thought more like caramel but depending on the light does seem to vary. Took these outside and not edited at all
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bluescube likes this.

8. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Whatever you call the color, it's a damn fine looking guitar!

I was REAL tempted by that SDOTD on that raw one with the tortoise-shell guard, but I held off yet again. I know it's just a matter of time, but it wasn't time YET. As much as I like the raw look, I think I like it more a little darker if I was sure the grain would show as well as yours does. But in too many BSB finishes, you really have to look for it...

savofenno likes this.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Great looking guitar!
    Looks like a one piece body.
    Is that possible?
    Congratulations!

10. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    It was the easy choice for me as it was only $300 and was a color I do not have in my arsenal. I will know tonight if it's a keeper or not

11. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    All 4 of my CV's are perfect in every way, if it does not fit in overall I will send it back and get a CVC

12. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    Looks like a 3 piece body? I had seen others that were 2 pieces

13. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midalnds, GB
    whitecloud ... Hi ...

These G&Ls are just superb value for the money compared to MIMs imho; indeed for the money there's plenty you can then do by way of mods/upgrades too.
    Here's mine ...

ASAT 2 sized600.jpg

This is a 2014 ASAT Classic Bluesboy semi-hollow, personally couldn't take to the MFD ceramic bridge pup so put an AlNiCo V in there instead and an AlNiCo II 'PAF' style at the neck. Blues/60sRnB slide on it is divine :cool:

Hope you're enjoying your new guitar ...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Uncle Bob likes this.

14. bluescube

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    I really liked the bridge MFD, really took overdrive well. The neck bucker was mud though. A Rose pickups Jazzmaster style in the neck sounded great, then I stupidly sold it

15. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    That looks sweet, probably weighs less. I'd stick a Seth Lover in the neck but really wish they made them with a mini-humbucker. Have a spare Seymour Duncan in my pickup box just waiting for a new home. So what's the fretboard radius? I have less reservations buying another Tribute G&L so am mulling that over. Thanks for the share.

41144 likes this.

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Bluesboy? 9" radius.

17. 8barlouie

8barlouie Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Damn fine guitar. I have the same one in lefty. The neck required just a tad bit of work, but I waited until I had a fair amount of fret wear because it wasn't that bad. Ever since then, no complaints. BTW, that's a three piece body.

41144 likes this.

18. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midalnds, GB
    Hi again ...
    Fretboard rad on this is 9" so, obviously, had to adjust saddle heights for slide.
    Weight wise... For me it's fine but I wouldn't describe it as light. It's an Ash body so it's actually about the same weight as my 64 AVRI Tele.
    Hope that helps.
    Also, a Seth Lover in the neck is how the American ones were originally shipped, so an ideal mod. Or perhaps a Pearly Gates?
    I went Toneriders as just wanted to try out gutting the whole of the insides.
    Best for now...

19. bluescube

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    920D custom shop has a nice loaded control plate to drop in

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.