NGD: G&L Legacy

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Blrfl, May 25, 2019.

1. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

I've been wanting to add a Strat to my guitar collection for many years because the only single-coil pickup I have is the bridge on my '73 Tele (the neck is a very early DiMarzio PAF). The Strat Plus had always been a favorite model ever since having picked up a Fender catalog in 1988 and seen it, so my sights were mostly set on a later one with the LSR nut. I tend to buy guitars and keep them for a very long time, so the usual MO is to patiently wait for the right one, which in this case would have been candy-apple-something with a maple neck and fingerboard. Most of my guitars are rosewood (the Tele's maple), but for some reason I always think of traditional Strats being maple.

A lot of Strat Plusses came and went that didn't trip my trigger or were priced way beyond what they were worth. I considered building one up from a MIM or MIA and at some point decided to give G&L a longer look than I had previously. The Legacy was eventually added to the list. A few months of daily combing through Reverb, Craigslist, Music-go-Round and Guitar Center landed some possibilities, many of which were compromises. I could wait.

Finally, a few weeks ago, the Guitar Center in Greenwood, Indiana got a Legacy that jumped out at me. 2015 by the serial number, listed as candy apple red, maple neck and board, Sperzel tuners and a pearloid pickguard. Not bad. As it happened, I had business in Indiana this past week and was flying in early last Sunday to see some friends and make a little music with one of my co-workers. So, fresh from the airport and with another co-worker (who'd flown in from overseas and needed a ride) in tow, I headed over to try it out. Auditioning a guitar while half-awake isn't a great thing to do, but since I had 45 days to return it, anything I missed could be caught later. GC's pictures weren't all that great and hid something major: the guitar had natural wood binding around the top. Not a feature I was looking for, but niiiiiice. A half-hour of playing it later and I dropped the plastic and had it shipped home.

It was waiting Wednesday night when I arrived, and I haven't been able to put it down. Some have said the dual-fulcrum vibrato is an acquired taste, but I really like it, probably because it behaves a lot like the Bigsby on my Guild. It's a great axe that sounds delightul and plays like buttah, and I look forward to many years with it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  2. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr Tele-Meister

Maybe it's the lighting, but that looks less like CAR than it does G&L's Ruby Red Metallic (which I think looks exquisite).

She's a mighty purdy one, either way!

3. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

You might be right about that. It is darker than what I think of as CAR, but I've seen some darker shades that are still called that. I've seen a couple of G&Ls in RRM but that shade's existence totally slipped my mind when I was buying it.

The build sheet and CoA weren't in the case, and I plan to order a set, which will settle that question.

The photos are color-corrected, so if your monitor is calibrated, you should see it as I see it.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  4. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Great guitars, and IMO the best sparkle finishes being sprayed today.

5. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

Never played one but I hear constantly what great guitars they are. I do love the single coil strat sound.

Congrats

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great guitars, congratulations!
    Brilliant tremelo design, too.

7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen a zillion strats - that guitar is freakin' awesome!

8. Kelsey

Kelsey Tele-Holic

I have two Legacy guitars from around 2014 and recently got an S500 from the 90s. They are great guitars! Congratulations!

9. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's a pretty one; enjoy the Legacy! Let us know the specs when you get the build sheet.

10. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

Enjoy that - I really like the G&L guitars.

11. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

looks just awesome!

12. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

Yes they make very nice sparkle.

I have a 2011 Legacy in Tangerine Metallic that has an awesome look.

Also have a Korean made 2006 Tribute Legacy in Blueburst.

G & L Legacy USA 2011 Tangerine (3).JPG G & L Legacy USA 2011 Tangerine (7).JPG G&L Legacy Tribute Blueburst MIK 2006 (1).JPG

Mr. Neutron, Nubs and lineboat like this.
  13. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Meister

I have a telecaster plus from 97...you're right that catalog got me. Something about those lace sensors at that time made both the Tele and strat look amazing. I too in the past year upgraded to a g&l...an asat classic. Congrats

14. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Very nice.

Big G&L fan.

My Legacy Special is very close to nudging my No. 1 off top spot.

INCREDIBLE value for money.

CP.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.