Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD - G&L ASAT Tribute Bluesboy semi-hollow

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Uncle Bob, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    West Virginia
    I went out with intentions of trading an Epiphone Les Paul for a Squier CV, but came back with this G&L Tribute model instead

[​IMG]

I tried to get on with the Lester but it just never felt as "right" as my Strat. I've been intrigued by a T-type and found this one hanging on the wall next to the Squiers and couldn't put it down. The neck is basically the same as my Strat's with the exception of having medium jumbo instead of vintage frets. I've been noodling around for an hour now and it's already grown on me more than the Lester ever did. With the humbucker in the neck position and the single coil in the bridge it seems like the best of both worlds.

2. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2017
    England
    That bluesboy is really nice!!!!

It had me really intrigued. I've owned 3 squier vintage modified telecaster, and the one with the single coil bridge and humbuckers in the neck was my favorite combo.

I tried to hunt down a blues boy, but all the ones I could find had tortoise shell pick guard which I really don't like.

In the end, I found an ASAT Special Tribute which I absolutely love.

Let us know how you get on with your ASAT - they pack a serious punch for the money spent. They can easily hang out with guitars costing a lot more.

Uncle Bob likes this.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Congratulations!

Uncle Bob likes this.

4. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    I played one of these thru my Traynor YCV40 .... for the price it is a killer. My only complaint about these tribute guitars is that in order to get the action down to where I want it I have to do a fret dressing, which for the price of the thing I cant complain about. They are built like tanks and sound really good. I'm a utility guy ... I don't like to spend more than I have to. I just want to get the job done.
    Nice axe .... enjoy.

Uncle Bob likes this.

5. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    West Virginia
    The tech at the shop said he had to re-do the nut, and does it to all the G&Ls (truth of that statement is unknown). He said "you could have shoved a pencil under the strings". It's definitely set up with the action and relief height set as low as possible. There is no odd buzzing unless I get carried away (often) so I think the frets are good go. There are no sharp ends or anything like that and they look like they got a polish when the nut was redone.

The only flaw I've noticed so far is the volume knob is boogered up somehow. It will lift up about 1/4" or so then stop, which I guess is a sign there's a spring metal gadget in it that has been pushed to where it shouldn't be. I'm going to try wrapping the shaft with some teflon tape to try to tighten it up.

It definitely plays better than the Epiphone I traded for it (+ $$) and my MIM Strat too. The difference between it and the Strat could be the frets (Strat has vintage) or it could be that I had a dummy set the Strat up (me). The difference in weight could have a subconscious affect on that too I guess. That was a deciding factor between the G&L and the Squiers - every time I picked a CV off the rack it felt heavier. :)

6. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    Do you find the neck humbucker "woofy"? I had one and replaced it with a Rose jazzmaster style. I regret selling it

Uncle Bob likes this.

7. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I'm a little surprised about the nut/action comments. My G&L tribute came with action so low I had to raise it. And it's one of only two guitars I have where I didn't have to touch the nut.

8. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    West Virginia
    I really can't say at this point and am mostly accustomed to a Strat w/ single coils. Plus I think I mentioned above I'm a beginner so plunking out the few riffs I know and my version of "Plastic Jesus" might not be the best test :)

This one has action set almost to the point of being too low. I questioned the tech on the nut work he did more than once and he was consistent in his reply so I believe that he had to work on it on my guitar. Whether he really has to work on them all or not is probably questionable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.