Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD: FSR Gold Bronze Classic Vibe Custom

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by comebackkid, Oct 11, 2014.

1. comebackkid

comebackkid Tele-Meister

They should just make this a regular CVC, but with the parchment guard and regular single-coil mock-up that I did. (The rout will still be the same, so anyone wanting a neck hb can still go for that look.) Don't know if these FSR's are limited to Europe tho...

2. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Man these are nice. Congrats.

3. SynMike

SynMike Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2013
    Vancouver BC
    Congratulations to all of you getting this one. I saw it in the store and wanted one. Now that I see different looks I want 2. I don't want to want it. I already have a CVC which I like too much to sell. There are 2 other Teles that I want so I can't afford to want any more. So unfortunately I won't be getting one: I'll just admire pictures of other people's.

4. TEENIEMCNEE

TEENIEMCNEE Tele-Meister

Jan 16, 2014
    Glasgow

5. nspeer

nspeer TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Evergreen, CO
    So, you were not in love with the HB in the neck and replaced it with a single coil I see. Sound better this way in your opinion ?

6. comebackkid

comebackkid Tele-Meister

Yes, I thought the hb was a little dull and lacking bottom end. The neck single coil from the vintage blonde cv I had laying around sounds much, much better in my opinion.

7. nspeer

nspeer TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Evergreen, CO
    Thanks,
    just curious, why did you get one row of 6 holes instead of two rows? Do you think the tone was altered in any way by the cover?

8. riolux

riolux Tele-Holic

Apr 18, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I considered getting the gretsch style cover but in the end I went for a classic look. Only the upper poles have screws. I didn't notice any change in tone.

9. nspeer

nspeer TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Evergreen, CO
    Might be selling mine...

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I might sell my FSR Gold Bronze as a guitar I've been looking for has become available and I need the funds to buy it. A friend of mine, who is out of town for a month or so, has first right of refusal on it. However, if he passes on it, I'm trying to gauge interest here.

Would anyone be interested in it if my friend passes on it? You can PM me if you like.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

10. nspeer

nspeer TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Evergreen, CO
    Hey, just curious.. Did you consider replacing the stock humbucker with one that was less dull and had better low end?

11. comebackkid

comebackkid Tele-Meister

Yes I did, but I had the neck single coil and the pickguard lying around so that's what made it a simple choice to go that route in stead of another hb.

12. nspeer

nspeer TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Evergreen, CO
    I've been doing a lot of snooping around on the web and I'm having a rather hard time finding any specifics about the pups on these beauties. Any info would be appreciated.

13. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2007
    Brittany
    :eek: This is an awesome looking Telecaster!
    Congrats, and enjoy!

14. nspeer

nspeer TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Evergreen, CO
    How is everyone enjoying theirs now that the Honeymoon period is over? Any mods to report?

15. haeuss

haeuss NEW MEMBER!

Nov 9, 2014
    Germany
    Here's my modified one.

I'm very happy with this guitar!
    But I like it more with the pickup cover for the neck HB.
    I had to modify the cut-out to get the pickup cover through the pickguard.

I'm still waiting for my new bridge Pickup (LeoSounds MudCat)...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014

16. davewrites

davewrites TDPRI Member

May 8, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    ...and that is what we refer to as "the tipping point." The chrome cover converts my GAS pains into action. Going back to the store tomorrow. I hope it didn't sell...

17. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I saw one of these in my local store (in Ontario, Canada) last night but was in a rush so didn't have time to try it out. My buddy who works there said he loved the thing though.

I am thinking of grabbing one and having it set up for slide but I think I might end up swapping out the humbucker.

My only concern is neck size so I will have to get into the store to try it out.

18. BC0113

BC0113 NEW MEMBER!

Mar 2, 2014
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    The thread convinced me to get one. Added a humbucker cover and a mirror pickguard. It's a cheap one but will do for now. I love it.

image-1768261713.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014

19. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I've had a friends for about a week now. It was lent to me to do a setup and to adjust the pickup heights. As expected this one is also everything many of us have come to expect from the Squier CV line. The fit and finish are immaculate and the color is quite attractive. To my eye it's pretty close to the Shoreline Gold Fender has been using for a very long time. With that rosewood board it's a nice look.

The neck profile feels a bit deeper than previous CVCs so those who have an issue with those shallower necks might like this one a bit better. It's actually very comfortable.

Tonally the guitar sounds pretty good. The Alnico V bridge pickups in the CV '50s and CVCs is a decent enough pickup but I feel the neck humbucker could stand to be better. Alone and clean it's a bit dark and humdrum for my tastes but it does match very well with the bridge pickup so the middle switch position is nice and unique. Very full and very sweet tonally. With some crunch or overdrive the humbucker sounds quite a bit better.

Suggested mods would be a treble bleed on the volume pot to hold onto more highs when the volume is reduced. For me that would be a necessity. I haven't looked at the tone cap yet but if it's an .047 I'd install a lower value cap to make the treble roll off more subtle. The pickups are certainly passable the way they are but if it were my guitar I'd probably swap them out eventually just because I know I can find better.

This model might also benefit from a blend pot for the neck pickup as opposed to the switch. It would give better overall control of the mix without having to deal so much with the pickup heights.

20. mimmo

mimmo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy

WOW!:eek:
    More pics please, if you can...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.