Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD....For my Son, a metalcore guy

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Urshurak776, Dec 6, 2017 at 3:26 PM.

1. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Hi all,

Picked up an inexpensive Ibanez for my son (Christmas.) He is into MetalCore, so he like this one. Similar to the guitar one of his favorite guitarists uses (Asking Alexandria.) Actually not bad out of the box. Minor tweaks to intonation and the fret edges were a little sharp, but cleaned up quickly.

Attached Files:

2. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    It looks good! Now you got to get an amp:rolleyes:

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

4. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Thanks all. He is starting out learning guitar (as am I.) I got him a used Line6 Spider III amp and re-covered the baffle. Looks good and sounds great. Definitely a HIGH GAIN amp, but that is what he likes. We are looking for a place to do lessons for him now. Trying to decide between Guitar Center or a private teacher.

5. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I posted this on TDPRI last year, but here is the amp after I re-covered it. Cost me $25 total (Including the cost of the amp!) No complaints.

Attached Files:

6. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    Good Deal on the amp! I'm an old codger but I learned playing with friends and sitting by a record player(remember them?) replaying the same lick over and over until I could get it. It's kind of like building a vocabulary learning a language. You practice it a little every day and add this and that to what you know and sooner or latter it amounts to something where you begin to speak that language---where in this case is guitar playing--you begin to play! Consistency on your practice and you will get there. Platefire

Urshurak776 and robinn like this.

7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    If he starts really getting into it, get ready to spend some $$$ on a tube amp like an Egnater, 5150, MESA Rectifier.... I see a lot of those at metalcore shows and they sound great. The newer bands use Line 6 half-stacks for a while and they sound pretty good for that, but eventually I see a high-gain tube amp in the future.

8. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Yeah, he asked me how much the Peavey 6505+ head cost, not to mention the speaker cab...........

I'm afraid to even go look......

Zepfan likes this.

9. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    I like the guitar and the new grille cloth really wakes up the Line 6's appearance...but what is that big cast metal thing with all the bolt holes next to the guitar?

10. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    MExicanyella, I am a Service Engineer for Carrier Commercial Service. I was in our training center this week (I had the guitar shipped there.) That is the Inlet Guide Vane Assembly of a 17DA chiller (5500 ton.)

11. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    Wow...big flow there, judging by the size of that thing. Thanks!

Urshurak776 likes this.

12. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    Nice! Lucky son!

Inexpensive... like how much?

Urshurak776 likes this.

13. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Urshurak776 likes this.

14. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Sweetwater has a 6505 20watt mini head/cab stack on sale now for 800.00USD or a 6505 Piranha 20watt hybrid stack with 8" speaker for 280.00USD.

Urshurak776 likes this.

15. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I wonder how many musicians have paid for their amps and guitars flipping burgers at McDonalds?

Urshurak776 likes this.

16. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Listed at $199.99 on Sam Ash, but I got it for $175, free shipping. Good starter guitar for him. He has an older Dean guitar also.

17. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Thanks everyone for the replies. We will be looking at lessons for both of us and those links will help big time!

18. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    This is a great idea! He should be able to dial in the tone without the big $$$$. He gets to pay for this though :)

Zepfan likes this.

19. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Some of the line6 amps have noise reduction circuits that interfere with sustain. Google hidden or secret controls to find.

Urshurak776 likes this.

20. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    Ibanez is great value for the $$$ I have found. Nice score!

Urshurak776 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.