Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD - finally found a decent Les Paul

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Middleman, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Not so bad yourself. That's a great looking guitar you have there.

LPTyler and TimothyC like this.

2. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Nice , it looks right at home in the herd
    nice guitars by the way

they just need to be left handed!

3. Middleman

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Not to drag up an old thread but had a disaster here yesterday. I went to hang the LP on the wall hanger seen in the picture above. The phone rang as I was hanging up the guitar and I did not look at the wall hanger but turned my head to see who was on my phone. I felt the guitar slide into the hooks however and moved to answer the call. 10 minutes later after hanging up and working on my computer a loud bang and then the sound of a heavy piece of wood bouncing off the floor startled me. The LP had not gotten all the way in the hooks but set on top them and slowly slid off. My first concern was that the wood cracked either where the guitar hit the floor or the headstock. I picked it up from behind the gear rack where it had fallen and discovered the neck had actually gotten tangled in some wires and did not hit the floor. Lucky, no neck or headstock damage. Then I checked the base of the guitar and saw some white paint where the guitar hit the floor molding, scratched it off and guess what, no damage, no dent, no crack. Whew. Checked the neck joint, no damage.

Then I noticed the knobs had come off the volume and tone knobs for the neck pickup. No problem. I bent down and looked under the printer stand and found them, both unfortunately completely shattered. It was the first point of contact in the fall against my printer stand and it shattered them both. Broke off both potentiometer shafts where they split as well. Ugh!.

Try to find matching pots and knobs for a historic R8. They don't use the standard Gibson parts but were sold in a line called Historic parts. There are just a couple of places on the internet where you can still find them. Gibson no longer carries them on their site. The remaining inventory is running out.

There is a happy ending as the pots and knobs are on their way. No nicks on the guitar or serious damage other than replacing two pots and knobs. Black Monday, hopefully I won't be so in a rush to hang up this baby again. Also, the guitar still sounds amazing.

Paul in Colorado likes this.

4. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    OMG! My heart skipped beats just reading your post above! I felt like I was reading a Stephen King thriller. You must have been freaking as you inspected your guitar. That is a real bummer but it could have been oh so much worse. Lucky you.

I have to say, when I saw your pic of guitars, it made me nervous. Frankly, anytime I see guitars hanging on walls I get a little nervous. Guitar Center makes me nervous. I live in Cali like you, we are prone to earthquakes as you know. I personally don't think I could ever hang my guitars on a wall. I much prefer them closer to the ground so if anything happens (not hung properly, wall mount breaks, earthquake hits) they won't travel very far. Gravity + guitars = bummer. Mine usually sit in cases on the floor.

5. Middleman

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Definitely rethinking the wall hangers, although it didn't fail. Operator error. I have not had anything like that happen in the 10 years I've had some of those guitars hanging up. The Gibson headstock wasn't seated behind the hooks but on top them. Recipe for disaster.

If I had more room I would just get one of those multi guitar case stands. In any case it all turned out good, if it had been the SG, pretty sure the outcome would not be pretty. A little soldering time and it should be up to speed. What's amazing is that there was not one nick, scratch or dent to the finish. That certifies it for a bar fight weapon!

6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Holy cats, man! That was a close call. So glad it survived with minor repairs needed as it's a beautiful guitar. You might want to keep it in it's case when you aren't playing it.

When they replaced the pots on my H6 the knobs cracked. But since they were an authorized Gibson repair shop, they replaced them for free.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.