Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD: FGN tellie

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by skerwo, May 15, 2018.

1. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Meister

On the way to me - a FGN Iliad J-Standard tellie with HB on neck position. I´m really curious about it. Could be my third tellie beside the two on the avatar.

[​IMG]

Any experiences here?

ftbtx, faasie85, nick0 and 3 others like this.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

3. grayn

grayn TDPRI Member

May 12, 2018
    England
    What a beauty.
    Hope it sounds as good as it looks.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

4. goatofballstreet

goatofballstreet NEW MEMBER!

May 17, 2018
    California
    It should have gotoh hardware, I'm not sure which pickups but a lot of the recent Fujigen is really nice if it's the in house ones. It should have the CFS Circular Fretting System. A tempered fretting system that adds a slight curve. I have a strat with this and feel wise it's not super noticeable but at least with a strobe tuner it seems to affect intonation somewhat.

5. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Meister

I received it yesterday and wow: that´s a real good tellie. Comes with gotoh hardware and Seymour Duncan pups. The Jerry Donahue model at the bridge and the ´59 hb at the neck position. The bridge sc sounds fantastic in this guitar. Perfect tellie sound for my ears. The ´59 is a totally other beast. That´s the only matter: these two pups don´t work together. It feels like you got two guitars in one. The ´59 is way to mellow, seems to be a problem of the 250k potis. But I also don´t like the sound of a hb in neck position too much and the middle position is useless in this configuration.

But the whole guitar is perfect build, superb playability, lightweight, so it´s worth to modify it. I got in contact with a pickup builder here in Germany. He already built a lot of pups for me and he has a socalled single-bugger which is a sc in a hb housing. The specifics of the sc are like customers wishes. I decided to have a strat-like sc with alnico v magnets, roundabout 6,5 k and 42 awg wires. He calls it "Stratotone" and I had it already as a classic tellie neck pu in a former tellie where it sounded awesome. And with this replacement there´s no need to change the potis.

6. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Wow. I love the looks. That pickguard is awesome.

Congrats!

7. toejam

toejam TDPRI Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Sweden
    It has a coil tap?

8. toejam

toejam TDPRI Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Sweden
    I have the FGN Iliad with maple board, single coils. Flawless build, great pickups. And it looks SO nice :twisted:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018

9. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    If you haven’t sprung for new pick ups yet, you could look at at switching to 500k pots and putting a resistor on the bridge pick up… I’m pretty sure it was 470k on the bridge… Someone correct me if I’m misremembering… What this does is give you 500k pots for the neck pickup which will make it less muddy and cause the bridge pickup to you only “see” 250k, which will keep it from becoming overly bright. Many tele players with humbucker neck pickups find this works well for them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.