Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD Fender Pawn Shop 51 in Ebony

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by thefees, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Pbdiamond

Pbdiamond NEW MEMBER!

Dec 13, 2003
    farewell Best Buy

A heads up; Best Buy is getting rid of its instruments. There's a 20 percent off coupon in addition at their website, along with a list of stores. Most of the stuff there is leftover crap, but I grabbed a brand-new Pawn Shop 51 forb 320 bucks. Mustang special there too. Worth taking a look if there's one around. Coupon works through the 28th.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

2. Herod

Herod Tele-Meister

Mar 14, 2013
    Central Florida
    I picked one up at this price ($319) abt 2 weeks ago.....couldn't pass it up....it's a beast!

3. jokermtb

jokermtb TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2013
    plymouth, mi
    Not sure where you're getting your info - Best Buy has the Pawn Shop 51 for $849 on their website............

I did however pick up a Pawn Shop 51, at GC for $480 this weekend - it was a wallflower, cowering in the budget rack, but it caught my eye. I'd not heard of this particular model, but it's curious assemblage made it very interesting. I've always liked Tele necks, but the body shape wasn't the most comfortable for me, and the cheese grater plate wounded me on more than a few occasions. Never warmed up to the strat's 3 singles, and cartoony looking headstock. This guitar combined the best features of both guitars into one guitar. I tried it out on a Marshall 'Slash' AFD 5watt combo, with the midrange EQ knob dimed, and the bass + treble EQ at zero. 20 minutes later, I knew I'd have a hard time putting it back on the rack....Went home without it, but was back in the store an hour later to buy it when I came to my senses. It's a phenomenal guitar. But, I do see why they never really took off (the Pawn Shop Line) - most people walking into GC, either want a Strat, or Tele - not some weird Japanese monster mash - which, is precisely why I was drawn to this guitar! Most will never give it a try, and that's too bad (but, good for me!)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013

4. Herod

Herod Tele-Meister

Mar 14, 2013
    Central Florida
    They shut down the musical instrument department in their brick/mortar stores...everything was slashed pretty deeply.....walked out with this for $319....the web prices never budged

image-4095902531.jpg

5. jokermtb

jokermtb TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2013
    plymouth, mi
    Wow - you are a very fortunate shopper!!!

6. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Holic

Apr 5, 2010
    Evergreen, CO
    He's right. I picked up a CV Jazz Bass at my local BB for $160.

7. DHart

DHart Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Congrats on your B&W '51!

Speaking of MIJ '51's... I spied one of these MIJ Pawn Shop 51's at a GC a couple of years ago... looked intriguing to me (I already have an awesome Strat that I bought in 1976 and wasn't looking to duplicate that).

I picked it up and was amazed at the build quality, the neck, the action. I was thinking this could be sort of like a Tele to me, but with a more comfortable body (the sculpted Strat body is a masterpiece.) I bought it without even plugging it into an amp.

I'm still blown away by the build quality and playability of this guitar. I've never played a Strat, at ANY price (including the $2100 Select Strat that I owned for a while) that plays as nicely as this MIJ model. The MIJ 51 Pawn Shop model is a true gem of a guitar exhibiting a VERY high quality of manufacture. And the tones you can get out of it are awesome... a great compliment to having a regular Strat as well. :)

Here is my '51, on the left.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

8. Herod

Herod Tele-Meister

Mar 14, 2013
    Central Florida
    Agreed. When I picked it up, I thought it would be a good backup guitar-that I might even turn it over after a while....never expected to bond so well w/ it-but, it's become a critical guitar in my collection. It's definitely not going anywhere.....Plays beyond my expectations and has its own unique voice. All pickup positions have voices worth using.

9. Muddshark

Muddshark TDPRI Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Portland OR
    Squier PUPs absolute garbage

I know this thread is old but I got a new MIJ Fender '51 from GC for $399 and its the dog's bollocks. I'm sorry but the PUPs on this are the best PUPs I've ever encountered in a $400-$1200 fender and I bought my first Squier in 1982. So IDK what that other dude is talkin' cause the PUPs on the Squier '51 are hot vomit.

I didn't like the white pickguard so for $80 (WTF? I feel like I've been robbed at knife point) I had WD make a deep blue MOTO replacement.

It looks absolutely BOSS now and plays and sounds AWESOME.

[​IMG]

10. TimU

TimU TDPRI Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Michigan
    I just bought a brand new Fender Pawn Shop '51 in butterscotch on ebay for a great price. I can't wait to get it. I've read great reviews. Curious if anyone here has any experience with this guitar?

11. TimU

TimU TDPRI Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Michigan
    Do you still have your '51? I just bought a brand new one for a great price. I've only heard positive reviews. I looked for other pickguard replacements but couldn't find anything.

12. TimU

TimU TDPRI Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Michigan
    Muddshark, where did you find another pickguard? I was thinking about a tortious shell?

13. DHart

DHart Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Absolutely. Prepare to be very impressed! Great guitar.

14. Herod

Herod Tele-Meister

Mar 14, 2013
    Central Florida
    Totally agree re: p/u. I bought this for a fantastic deal - $319 when Best but was shuttering it's Musical instrument dept and thought I'd have some fun w/ it and unload it after a while.....it quickly became my #2 (right after my #1 Tele)...it's a keeper....the Texas Special neck pickup is one of my fave p/u now! The enforcer is excellent as well

15. BrianMcNevin

BrianMcNevin TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2014
    New Jersey
    I have to agree with you. Back in 2012, when I played two older Squier top load bridge versions and compared them to the Fender version in a store, the Fender was far superior in build quality. As far as the new Squier versions go, since I haven't had the chance to play one, I don't have an opinion.

16. BrianMcNevin

Dec 28, 2014
    New Jersey
    Anybody know anything about the Enforcer pickup in regards to specs?

17. Muddshark

Muddshark TDPRI Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Portland OR
    Sorry just saw this I got the pick guard from WDmusic.com

18. JPCordingley

JPCordingley TDPRI Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Manchester
    There's been one of these on display at a local music store in Manchester for over a year priced at just under £500. Had a play on it for a good hour a while back and have to say that it's one of the best guitars I've ever played! So much tonal variety and neck like butter! I would say it's a bargain at that price although when I'll ever have £500 spare I'll never know!

I have played one of the new Squier reissues. I'd read all these comments about 51s saying that why buy the Fender when the Squier is equally good. I am a huge Squier fan. I think they make excellent guitars which rival low end Fenders in terms of quality (and I'm also lusting after a VM Cab with Bigsby right now) but I picked up a Squier 51 and put it down almost instantly. The neck felt really coarse and unfinished - really rough. I'm sorry but the Fender is far superior in this instance and it's not often I say that!

19. BrianMcNevin

Dec 28, 2014
    New Jersey
    My Fender Pawnshop '51

After owning it for about a month, my take on this guitar is it is fairly nice. Since the build quality coming out of Fender's plant in Japan has always been top notch, the '51 is no exception. Since Fender necks are what they are, and I really would prefer something with a wider nut width, I can still get by on it. The nice thing about the neck is it is really fat and C shaped in the back, which I like a lot. You can't go wrong with a Texas Special in the neck position. The Enforcer humbucker in the bridge position is a bit too dark for me though. So, I might only use it in full humbucker mode for solos. However, it sounds exceptionally great tapped. The nicest thing about this guitar is that with both pickups together, it has a twangy Tele kind of vide to it. Since Fender did a wonderful job designing it to be a hybrid between a Tele and Strat, and it offers the best of both worlds, it's worth checking out. Since they're out of production, and there is plenty of new old stock left in the stores, you can usually pick one up for about $600 or less with a little haggling. It wouldn't surprise me if the '51 becomes a collector's item in ten years, and the price of a used one goes through the roof, because that is how good this guitar is.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.